Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Issues with our '12

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by McSteve, Jul 24, 2015.

1. McSteve

McSteve New Member

Hi Folks,

I have been a longtime reader of Allpar and the forums, and now I'm finding that I need some help from the community.

Back in March, we bought an off-lease 2012 Journey SXT V6 with around 30k miles (the production date is 2/12). The 3-year period for the bumper to bumper warranty has passed. The vehicle is nicely equipped with bluetooth, heated seats, remote start, and the 4.3s radio.

Shortly after purchasing, we found we were unable to connect to the bluetooth - not a big deal, as that is not a widely used feature in our house, so we let that go.

Recently, the power windows will only work intermittently. The window switch module makes a buzzing sound. If the driver's door is open and you attempt to use the window, the instrument panel will show no doors being open. The windows seem to be an all-or-none situation. For a while opening, then closing the door made the windows work - this is no longer the case and it only buzzes. I ordered a new switch, and that did not fix the problem.

While driving it last night, I noticed that the radio turned the volume down all on its own.

I have checked the fuses and they look good.

So here I am hoping that someone has seen this before and can offer some sage (and hopefully inexpensive wisdom). I have considered taking it in to an FCA dealer, but the network in Cincinnati leaves much to be desired (I have actually driven our Avenger R/T 300+ miles to Roanoke Motors in Central Illinois for proper service on two occasions).

Thank you very much for any tips or tricks any of you have up your sleeves!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. There were some improved software upgrade releases in the form of TSBs (technical service bulletins) to address radio and HFM (hands-free module) issues. This may repair the Bluetooth and volume muting issue and will probably require the assistance of a dealer service dept.
    I see no TSBs for the drivers door control module software, but the DDCM is capable of storing fault codes and can perform basic tests. If any codes are present, this may aid in diagnosis. If the repair goes over the diagnostic charge, ask them to contact you with a repair estimate before continuing.
    The radio RRT (rapid response transmittal) which has since become TSB# 08-030-12B is here:
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/Chrysler-RR...Charger-Journey-300-/10000000176129906/g.html
    See the symptoms/conditions list to see what issues it addresses. Your vehicle build date may fall into this upgrade window.
    Other TSBs # 08-032-13 and 08-028-12B may also apply to your vehicle.
    You might ask that all vehicle modules be upgraded to their latest and greatest software revision for about 1 hour of labor (usually the minimum charge). The newer software flash resolves known bugs and usually always improves vehicle operation (sometimes it is a night and day difference).

3. McSteve

McSteve New Member

Thank you very much for this information, ImperialCrown. Looks like I am going to have to consult a dealer service department since there is so much software involved in cars these days. Too bad we can't mend things with a hammer and a piece of string anymore!

This window thing is so bizarre to me - I've never heard a window switch buzz like that before.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The buzz may be low voltage from a poor connection? Some older Journeys did have door wiring harness issues. Some 2009s turned into a recall.
    http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/pdf/K07.pdf
    I have had some wires flex and break where the door connects to the body from opening and closing the drivers door over the years, but 2012 isn't that old.

5. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

A big +1 on the software update. We had the radio and connectivity issues also on the our 2012 SXT. The flash fixed it. Wife was happy. That is all that matters. Lol.

6. McSteve

McSteve New Member

The software updates look like a pretty good answer to me for the radio.

As for the windows, I was messing around with it a bit yesterday and it most certainly seems like there is a break in the loom at the door hinge area. I am going to see if I can find it/verify it sometime today or later on this week.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. McSteve

McSteve New Member

Just took a closer look - I was not able to see the wires in the rubber boot/hose thing between the body and the door as it is all one part. Not wanting to make it worse, I opted not to cut into the rubber boot/hose. Taking a close look at the wiring, I think I will see about having a professional replace the part - I like to think I know my own limits, especially when it comes to things like airbag sensors.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The boot doesn't need to be cut. The boot detaches from the pillar and the harness unplugs from the body side. The boot can then be slid off the harness to inspect the wires.
    If wires are broken, it is best to replace the door sub-harness as you mention instead of trying to repair it. The 'splice' repairs never seem to last with a flexing joint. It will eventually kink and break again just ahead of the 'stiffer' splice or solder joint.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

10. McSteve

McSteve New Member

I haven't had a chance to take the boot off from the body side yet - thanks, weather and kidney stones - I will report back when I get a chance to do so.

As for the UConnect update website, it is showing that our VIN is up to date (the Journey was not involved with the "hacking" issue to my knowledge). Are there updates that are required to be done through the dealer network and will not show through the DIY system? The TSB# 08-030-12B quoted and linked above does address a few additional issues we are having (skipping on CD and USB).

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Those TSBs would likely have to be done at the dealership level as they involve the radio software with the dealership update tool dongle and not necessarily the U-connect update that can be done at home.
    The dealer would have to see if the updates apply to your vehicle and then download them if they do.
    Get all modules updated to the latest and greatest software revisions.

12. McSteve

McSteve New Member

I finally got eyes on the broken wire. It is a Black/Brown wire that does indeed go to the window switch/driver's door module. In my haste, I'm worried that I may have damaged the plastic receiving end of the harness.

Now to get some estimates on fixing it - hopefully this and the software updates won't cost too much.

ImperialCrown, Thanks for the info on the TSBs - I am amazed at your breadth of knowledge on seemingly every Mopar produced. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

floridaman2013 likes this.
  13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Nice work. It must have flexed, fatigued and broke. Cold stiff wires in the winter don't lend themselves well to bending repeatedly as the door opens and closes. Once the outer plastic insulation cracks, the soft copper wire strands inside will break shortly afterwards.
    It obviously broke due to flex, so I would replace the harness assembly with a fresh new wire harness. The new harness may even have a different part #, due to improvements made?
    If the flex can be distributed along a greater length of the harness instead of bending at one localized point, the wires will live longer.
    I hope that the replacement LF harness is the last one you'll need.