Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange O.P. light

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by ragtop, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ragtop

ragtop New Member

I've got an 05 touring with a stage -3 upgrade and my oil light stays on at 1st startup cold or hot.Shut it off and restart and light goes out. New o p sending unit same reaction oil is at correct level correct filter. anyone ever have this problem?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Any fault codes? It may not be low oil pressure, but it is trying to tell you something.

3. ragtop

ragtop New Member

Yes It has a P-0038 code but I believe it is unrelated as this is an O2 sensor code high voltage,but I may be wrong in asuming that?

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

As for the O.P. problem, check the wire going from the o.p. switch to the PCM. Some have reported that oil actually travels up this wire to the PCM and breaks the connection. It can be cleaned and will start working again. If not that, then I'd take that ops back where I got it and try another one. Especially if you got it from Autozone.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The switch also relies on a ground through the threads to the block. Allow a metal-to-metal contact (i.e.- no sealers or tapes).
    The P0038 may light the amber 'ck eng' light, but should have nothing to do with the o.p. light.
    The o.p. switch goes to the PCM first and then is bussed over to the instrument cluster. The PCM is seeing a problem with the circuit or the PCM itself is having a problem.
    The o.p. signal isn't directly to the dash light/gauge like the old days.

Bob Lincoln likes this.