Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stratuscaster

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, broken ribs and after a cracked chest, breathing deep will help prevent the accumulation of fluid in the lungs. It might hurt, but not as much as not being able to do it at all.

Bearhawke and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

From Aldo "He received excellent care from Canada's socialized Healthcare."

- Thats just like sweden, yo dont have to bother about hospitalbills and getting an advocate.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Gak.

I had the inflatable sleeves, they are annoying but you get used to them.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Jamie wrote: “Jim's heart rate? Normal. Jim's blood pressure? Normal. Jim's oxygen level? Normal. Wait for it... breathing tube? Removed! Today is a happy day. I am singing praises and making jokes. God is good.”

Citation84, tlc, saltydog and 19 others like this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

You should ask her if they at least changed his oil and rotated his tires during all of this...:p (it's usually one of my better one-liners. Might get a laugh out of him :))

JavelinAMX, Bearhawke, Doug D and 2 others like this.
  6. ArchColossus

ArchColossus New Member

Strat has been shocked a total of 15 times today as of this post. His heart rate keeps climbing too high.

7. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Well, that isn't good news.

8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I join you in that concern.

Quite a change from Thursday, 23rd March. News that day was quite positive -

9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

If they're shocking him (defibrillating) then it's because he's in an abnormal heart rhythm...most likely ventricular tachycardia. Less likely would be atrial fibrillation (or another atrial arrhythmia) unless his heart rate got so high with it that he became unstable, but usually that can be controlled with IV medications...as long as his blood pressure can tolerate them.

Either way it's a concerning development especially with everything he's been through up to this point. God speed Jim!

Bearhawke and JavelinAMX like this.
  10. BASONE88

Supporter

:confused::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:confused::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:confused:Thank you for the update!

11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It sounds like SVT, because the rate went as high as 178. Probably cardioversion vs defibrillation.
    He's back on a breathing tube, also.

12. ArchColossus

ArchColossus New Member

He's getting more shocks but in the last hour he has powered through 3 heart rate climbs without a shock.

I asked him on the phone if he wanted me to come visit him, (I live about 2 and a half hours away.) And he said not to bother coming up over the shocks.

The issues are caused by scar tissue on the heart, which can be surgically removed, but they would need to give him blood thinners, which would make his brain bleed due to the stroke.

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

:( Hang in there Strat.

14. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good evening. Stratuscaster wishing you a quick & healthy recovery,
    all the best to you & your family & thanks to all those who are keeping us up to date, much appreciated. MOPAR Always!

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Interesting. If they're opting to do synchronized cardioversion then most likely he's not tolerating the heart rate very well regardless of the rhythm. If his blood pressure drops while his heart rate is up its more difficult to treat with meds because most of them drop blood pressure as well. Amiodarone is a first line drug of choice in these situations because it can be used for a variety of arrhythmias. If it truly is an SVT, then adenosine can be used to slow down the rhythm and potentially break it...it can be frightening for the patient though because it can stop your heart for several seconds. If he were to become unresponsive/pulseless with the rhythm then you move directly to defibrillation and start CPR. The fact that they reinserted the ET tube leads me to believe that he became unresponsive and they had to protect his airway. There are algorithms for all of this in the ACLS protocols...our guide to follow when things become intense.

But the rhythm and heart rate are less of a concern, it all depends on how you're tolerating the arrhythmia that determines the course of action. I've seen patients walking around while in atrial fibrillation with a heart rate in the 160's, and others who became unresponsive with ventricular tachycardia at that same rate while lying in bed...and ventricular fibrillation where they pass out like someone flipped a switch.

Sorry to blather on...once I get started it's hard to stop.

He's certainly had a rough course here, and granted I don't know all of the details, but he's still in the fight...and as long as that is the case then there's always hope. Wishing for the best right now.

Bearhawke, somber, Dave Z and 4 others like this.
  16. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

@Zagnut27

@Bob Lincoln

Thank you. You've done good for those of us who benefit from these informative updates < Thumbs Up >

tlc, Bearhawke and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I've been on Amiodarone since Oct 2014 when I was hospitalized twice within a month for atrial fibrillation. The first time I just didn't feel well - light headed and some nausea. After that, I bought a sports heart rate monitor to wear and within a week had another incident. My monitor read 220bpm and, as we drove to the hospital, I told Mrs BTB that we obviously didn't pay enough for the monitor because heart rates don't go that high. When we got to the emergency room (Kaiser), their monitor showed 217! It took them over 90 minutes to bring my heart rate back down to the normal range. The first drug they had me on (Diltiazm) caused nausea and didn't prevent the second a-fib incident. Then they prescribed the Amiodarone and they kind of told me that it is a drug of last resort due to it's many severe side effects. Luckily, none of them have been severe for me yet (slight elevation of thyroid level), get vision & lungs checked yearly and stay out of sunlight (skin can turn blue). They also wanted to put me on a blood thinner but I refused due to frequent spontaneous nose bleeds, gums, and a bleeding from a few other places. They told me that I'm probably on borrowed time for another a-fib incident but either Amiodarone works very well or I'm damn lucky since I haven't had another a-fib incident in 2 1/2 years.

I was lying in the emergency room for 90 minutes with the heart rate monitor beeping away, scared s#*+less, and when I looked over at Mrs BTB, she was white as a ghost. They were getting the paddles ready to shock me when my heart rate finally came down to the normal range. They kept me 3 days for observation and must have given me a sedative because the anxiety slowly abated as I felt that I was returning to "normal". I can only imagine what Strat is going through with a new heart related incident every few days. Guys, let me tell you - knowing that you are in the fight of your life is the scariest thing that you will ever go through. Strat, you are in our thoughts and we're pullin' for you to get through this.

#118 Beentherebefore, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    AvengerGuy, somber, GasAxe and 4 others like this.
  19. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Keep fighting the good fight Strat! I know how exhausting it can be--mentally, spiritually and physically. Just know that we're all pulling and praying for you.

JavelinAMX and Dave Z like this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

That's a common story for afib. I'll PM you to suggest a few things you can talk to your doc about, assuming they haven't already been discussed.

GasAxe likes this.