Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stratuscaster

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

My God...........Strat can't seem to catch a break. He's suffered a lifetime's worth of health issues in the last few months.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Being immobile takes a huge toll on your body.
    My wife was sick with respiratory stuff last spring and perhaps because of staying in bed for that she got a blood clot in her leg.
    She's fine now.

I hope Strat starts to improve.
    My sisters husband that I had posted had the enlarged heart had surgery today to put in a heart pump.
    He came through it okay, is in ICU.

So maybe some mutual good energy will flow between the two of them.

Bearhawke likes this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Heart pump...is it a ventricular assist device (VAD)?

4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I hope they didn't have to put in a nasogastric (NG) tube to decompress the bowel...it's a tube they stick up your nose and then down your throat into your stomach and then attach the external end to suction. Yes, it's as awful and uncomfortable as it sounds...but it does work in many cases...if that is any consolation.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I think she said that things resolved themselves with the right balance of fluid intake and time.

Bearhawke, Doug D and Zagnut27 like this.
  6. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good afternoon. Thanks Bob L. for keeping us up to date, hopefully things will start to improve at a much quicker pace for Jim it has been a tough road for him. MOPAR Always!

7. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Latest is that he is off the blood thinner, but low iron and low BP, which should slowly improve. He goes to in-house rehab tomorrow to start some PT.

8. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I don't know. I talked to my sister yesterday and she gave me an update.
    He is doing pretty well but there have been minor issues.
    I think the ultimate goal is to get him on a heart transplant list.

I don't want to be highjacking this thread much.

9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Just curious...we do a lot of them where I work. Both as a bridge to transplant and as destination therapy.

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Latest update:
    "Unfortunately, Jim isn't starting rehab yet. Lack of movement, lack of nutrition, water on the lungs, and high blood pressure and heart rate are continuously rearing up for him.

He calls every so often, and he sounds better mentally every time.

Please keep him in mind as he continues healing."

His GoFundMe site has about $8900 pledged, and the goal is $11,000. Considering his extended hospital stay and procedures, he'll need that and then some. Please consider giving something even if you have already given before. Thanks.

https://www.gofundme.com/jim-choate...ail&utm_content=cta_button&utm_campaign=upd_n

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Jim had surgery last night, and will have more, for what I believe is debridement (removal of dead skin, possibly from bed sores) and prevention of infection.

12. Bearhawke

It sounds to me that Jim's also dealing with diabetes on top of everything else.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Ouch. Bed sores are a pain in the tookass...literally...and very difficult to treat once they occur. Dammit, he can't seem to catch a darn break can he?

But if that's the case, the hospital should be picking up the bill on the treatment. Bed sores (pressure ulcers) are usually considered preventable, and when they occur it's usually because someone wasn't doing their job. That's why we don't get reimbursed for treatment by Medicare/insurance companies, and we try our darndest to prevent them from occurring in the first place. An ounce of prevention...

#153 Zagnut27, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  14. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Silly me ... I was under the misguided impression that he was capable of periodic breaks in a chair, allowing him to be upright.

Alright, I'll correct that thought : he's in bed more or less horizontal.

Praying for strides forward .

I hope he's not situated far from family.

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Even sitting in a chair you can get "bed sores." The problem isn't what position you're in so much, as it is the inability to change your own position and how you change position. Bony areas, such as your hips, elbows, heels and lower spine (sacrum and coccyx) are usually supporting a percentage of your body weight. The skin and tissues between those bones and whatever is underneath...bed, chair, etc...can suffer due to crushing and decreased blood flow. When you move, those areas can suffer from friction and shear especially if someone is pulling you or dragging you out of a chair or in bed. There's a whole host of devices you can use from special cushions, specialty beds, and lifts to help reposition patients while minimizing friction and shear. Decreasing the amount of bedding and incontinence pads helps too...the less between the patient and the bed the better, all that stuff just creates more pressure and defeats the purpose of specialty beds.

Sorry...long winded response. But my units have some of the lowest pressure ulcer rates in the country, and we have ICU and elderly patients who are the most at risk. We're very good at what we do, I'm proud to say. :)

16. JavelinAMX

Not a problem. It is necessary to communicate more completely and spread greater understanding. Thank you. This is valuable.

Boy - I'm certainly hoping Strat can make progress enough to get over that hump. To get to the ambulatory stage would be a fabulous accomplishment.

My father had a massive stroke years and years ago (he's been gone since 2004) and his condition was consistently crummy until he reached a bit of stability. Once periodically sitting up in bed, then in a chair, he quickly moved to the point he could begin learning to walk again. Progress accelerated once he was upright more often than horizontal.

Bearhawke and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. Bearhawke

Any updates on either Jim or Bob_S? Things have been quiet lately.

18. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Jim had more surgery, but they ruled out an infection getting into the bones. I believe he's going to a rehab facility within the week. His wife messages my wife almost daily, will get details this weekend. But it's looking just a little better.

GasAxe, Doug D, Mopar Jerry and 3 others like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Good to know there's no bone infection (osteomyelitis). It can be very difficult to treat and often leads to amputations...so definitely a good thing!

Thanks for the updates Bob.

Bearhawke, somber and Dave Z like this.
  20. JavelinAMX

Any Port in a storm. Going to a Rehab site could help him feel he's making progress he can feel, which could be quite good for his morale.

One hopes, anyway.