Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strut Issue - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT.

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by 08GCSXT, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

First, the vehicle = 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L with about 104K miles.

We needed new struts. We have a local really good mechanic who we are having him do this job for us. He ordered the struts based upon the info stated above. His parts supplier sent him 2 SenSen struts, part numbers 92140244 and 92140245. He doesn't have alignment equipment so I went to a Good Year shop.

They tried 3 times to get the alignment done but couldn't. They stated that MAYBE I have the wrong struts. I called our Dodge dealer and spoke with the parts person. I gave them our VIN and found out we have a "Regular" suspension.

I called the mechanic back and gave him this info. He spoke with his parts supplier and they said "Those should be the right ones".

Digging a little further I found out that on a Big Name supplier website (don't know if I can mention names) that they have both the SenSen AND KYB's listed for our van. HOWEVER, the description for the KYB's has "Except heavy duty and sport suspensions." There is NO mention of this in the SenSen description.

So, which struts are for my van?

My mechanic is probably going to order another set of SenSen's AND a set of KYB's and then match the original ones to which ever one fits.

If it helps, my VIN = 1D8HN54P78B116726

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I see OE-grade coils and OE-grade bearings, but nothing about OEM-fit for SenSen. You may just get the same parts all over again.
    Why mess around? Just order OEM replacements.
    Is camber the angle that can't be set? That may be solved by a cam bolt kit and grinding slots in the lower bolt holes. Again more messing around and you can't return them after grinding them.
    83170.jpg
    Monroe does offer OEM Quick-struts. If you magnify the image, you can make out the slotted lower bolt hole for camber adjustment.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-171572L-Quick-Strut-Complete-Assembly/dp/B0012X0MWA
    (OEM is stated under the Quick-strut Product Details link. I can't find that for SenSen).

3. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that it's the Camber that was able to be set.

When using this mechanic he uses only one (I think) and these are the only 2 options: KYB and SenSen.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I agree with Imperial. Probably best to go with OEM.

5. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

That's what I am trying to figure out - Go with OEM replacement struts BUT, Which ones are OEM? The SenSen or the KYB's? According to the dealer we have a "Regular" suspension so I'm thinking the KYB's.

BTW: I talked with my mechanic at great length last night and we came to the conclusion that he's going to try to get another set of the SenSen AND a set of the KYB's ordered. He's then taking one of the original struts with him to find a match.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Physical fit should not vary by suspension tuning. No matter what suspension package is on the van, the struts will all have the same mounting points at the top and bottom. All that will vary is the spring used and the strut tuning.

Either the alignment shop didn't know what they are doing or there is a fitment problem that is going to affect all vans regardless of suspension tune.

7. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

If it's ok to say the name - It was a Good Year shop doing the alignment.

I get what you mean by "physically the same" - But what would cause this alignment issue then? There has been no damage to the suspension (IE: accidents, really big pot holes, etc...) just normal wear and tear to mess things up. Any ideas?

Thanks!

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If you are installing aftermarket struts, you will likely need to grind an oblong slot in the strut lower bolt hole and install a camber adjustment bolt kit. These eccentric bolts will give you camber adjustment.
    It's not really the way I would want to go about it either, but it should work.

9. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

By aftermarket do you mean something other than factory parts? I am looking at OE replacement struts, I'm not putting any lowering or custom parts on here. Our struts were bad we needed them replaced. Our local guy KNOWS his stuff and offered to do it for us. He has a parts guy at a Big name parts supplier so it's not like I'm getting parts from a back alley supplier.

Sorry if I seem a bit edgy on this BUT this is my wife's vehicle and I'm getting flak about this repair not going well (Not from you guys).

So, basically, I AM getting OE replacement struts, just not FACTORY struts. Is this where my problem is?

Thanks!!

10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Most likely the factory struts are built with zero camber adjustment. Aftermarket struts usually have slots instead of bolt holes the lower part so there is camber adjustment available. This usually requires new lower mounting eccentric bolts. I say usually because that's how the earlier vans were and I'm not 100% sure the 08 is the same way.

There is also a good chance that even if you bought Mopar parts they may have the adjustment slots on them even if the originals did not.

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I bought the Value-Line front struts for the '07 Caliber. They were bolt holes, not slots. Everything went back together with the original bolts and the alignment was spot on with the new struts.

12. 08GCSXT

08GCSXT Member

Just an update to this strut issue. Both the KYB and Sensen were identical in build so what my mech had to do was buzz off a small corner of the bottom bracket of the strut so that the adjustments could be made. The shop then was able to get my alignment spot on with no issues.

Thanks for all the inputs!!