AF: Strut/Spring Indexing | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strut/Spring Indexing

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by Victor L, May 26, 2015.

1. Victor L

Victor L New Member

96 Intrepid ES - Front Struts
    Does anyone know how to index the front spring, upper spring seat and strut when re-assembling the strut? I need to check to see if a prior strut replacement was done correctly. I know all about marking each piece before dis-assembly and re-assembling the components in the same order using index marks placed prior to dis-assembly (like paint marks or tape). I believe it was not done correctly at a prior strut replacement. The upper portion of the spring is binding when starting to turn at low or no speeds. Strut mount bearing is good. There has to be a method that was used when the vehicle was manufactured.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Don't know if it applies to that car, but I can show you what Gabriel has in their instructions for some cars:

"Upper spring seat, notch in upper spring seat must be aligned with strut clevis bracket."
    "It is important to make sure the upper and lower spring seat are correctly aligned. Failure to align the spring seat will put a bow in the coil spring
    decreasing ride performance and service life of the strut."

http://boblincoln.com/strut-info.pdf

3. Victor L

Victor L New Member

Thanks Bob. My upper spring seat does have a small hole that is possibly there for alignment with the strut. Maybe it should be lined up with the clevis bracket. I will call Gabriel to see if they have instructions for the Intrepid, or can help with proper alignment of the seat and spring.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

5. Ed Brock

Ed Brock Member

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Left and right side springs are the same part number. I see 'firm feel' and 'special sport and handling (w/16" wheels)' packages offered by Mopar. These part numbers are obsolete and discontinued, but there may be some NOS still around or you can use the part numbers for cross-reference in your search. See figure 2-110 (front) and 17-110 (rear) here:

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD3/97-01/97LH.pdf

The Intrepid R/T may have been lowered, but it was more than just using shorter coils. If you are going to lower a vehicle, do it as a system (suspension, steering, chassis, driveline) approach. The rear crossmember and rear lateral links are different between the packages as they may have to be shorter with a height change.
    I don't know what the aftermarket offers. An Intrepid R/T club may know of sources and safe mods. The Concorde, NYer/LHS and Vision were pretty tame models.

7. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Will 2nd gen LH stuff fit 1st gens? There's more aftermarket for it, thanks to the 300M, albeit you'll probably need to find NOS at this point.

8. Ed Brock

Ed Brock Member

My understanding is this: Gen 1 vs Gen 2 it depends on who you talk to. A lot of people seem to say "oh, yes they are the same". then you hear different when they purchase and the car is taken to an alignment shop. The alignment seems to be the problem. Why? I don't know, have not heard a reliable source.
    I know (and the parts manual confirm that the rear struts are a different mounting point for Gen 1 LHS/New Yorker the Gen 2 LHS/Concord/300. My research so far shows the front struts are also different on the late style LHS/300/Concords. Again parts manuals confirm. Have I been able to exam both style of struts together? NO.
    Hoping this helps somewhat. I have a spring manufacture that will make new springs per your specs. They are about $175.00 each, front or rear. Let me know if anyone wants their name.
    Ed