Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Success!

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Doug D, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

A few times in the last week our '10 Journey SXT has not wanted to start. Basically I'd turn the key and only get a click. But eventually it would get a good connection and start. Was only happening occasionally.

Put my multimeter on it and got 12.3 volts at rest and 13.3-13.6 volts with the engine running. Had Advance check it and it came back as slightly weak. Only registering 450 CCA. Battery rated at 525 CCA. Was almost going to pull the trigger on a new battery (~$110), but something told me not to.

Decided to stop and get a battery brush on my way back from the dump (took the Ram of course).

After fussing and cussing I finally managed to gain access to the battery (whoever decided in front of the LF fender well was a good place for the battery should be shot!). Had to jack the left front up and remove the wheel. Then fight with the plastic doo hickies that secure the fender covers. Finally to the battery. Not much room in there, but finally managed to get the cables removed. Posts and cables had a slight film on them. No real corrosion. Cleaned the posts and cables to a nice shine. Reassembled. Checked voltage. Got 12.6 volts at rest and 14.3 volts with engine running. That's more like it!

You wouldn't think a slight build up of film would make that much difference.

So the moment I have been able to put off the purchase of a new battery. I know it'll need replacement soon as it is 5 years old. Car was manufactured in August 2009 and I believe it is the original OEM battery.

John Wood likes this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the Journey had the same battery setup as the Sebring/200. That's interesting. And aggravating!

3. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Try working on a VW Beetle. My wife has a convertible....things are tight.

4. Doug D

Aggravating enough that I'm willing to pay the labor when it comes time to replace the battery.

5. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I went through all the trouble to take the wheel off, tear the fender apart, etc... I would have just dropped the 100 bucks to put a new battery in. At 5 years, you're pretty much already on borrowed time for an automotive lead-acid battery. I'd expect the battery to start going bad within a year, two tops.

6. Doug D

In the best of situations I probably would have AT, however, finances being what they are (its currently taking every $ we have to put our son through college), if I can put off spending $100 for a year or so, that's what I have to do. It may end up biting me in the rear and it may not. I'm willing to take that gamble at this point.

Except for the '00 T&C Ltd we had that ate batteries every 45 months, I've gotten pretty reasonable service life out of batteries. The battery in my '06 Ram (manufactured in Nov 2005) I proactively replaced in 2012 - figured I was on borrowed time after 7 years. On average I've gotten 6 years out of batteries.

7. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Note than Avenger/Sebring/200 are JS, and Journey is JC - not surprising that they share the same "battery in the fender" location - that was also shared with the older JA/JX and JR cars.

8. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Just curious as my son now goes to University and my economy has become better..
    he get 1300$ as a loan and support.
    His rent is 514$ so he can use the difference to buy books and food. (hunt Girls etc...)
    No fee at all for the school...he gets 1400$ each termine from my employer (this is not standard..) and he makes
    around 3500$ each summer working for a contractor here at the mill.
    I wont say that he is rich or very well being on his Money but he gets around without my support.
    - How does this work in us??

9. Doug D

AC - my son is attending a university that is located out of state (North Carolina and we live in Virginia) so his costs are much higher than the typical in-state student. In-state would only be about 1/3 - 1/2 of the COA of a out-of-state student.

His total cost of attendance is $24,000 per year (includes tuition, dorm, meal plan and insurance). His financial aid package totals $18,750. The financial aid includes a $9,000 athletic scholarship (baseball), $2,250 grants and $7500 federal student loan. The remaining costs ($6,000) are out of our pocket. Until he is over 26 years of age (he's only 20) he is considered a "dependent student" and our income has to be included in figuring the financial aid.

It's a somewhat complicated process to get the financial aid. There is a federal process known as FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) that has to be filled out and links to the student's as well as the parent's income tax return. From that they determine Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and what grants (don't need to be paid back) and loans the student may qualify for. Any private scholarships are not factored into the FAFSA, but can be used to help pay for the COA.

My 2nd daughter graduated from Old Dominion University last year (2013). Since she was 26 when she started there (transferred from a junior college) she did not need to include our income. She was classified as a "independent student". ODU is located in Virginia so her COA was much lower - about $12,000 per year.

My son spent two years at a junior college (also known as "2 year" colleges) before he transfered to the university. Junior colleges are far cheaper - his tuition was only ~$3,000/year. Then it was another $6,000 for his living expenses. Fortunately he also received a grant from the state that covered 95% of his tuition expenses.

10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

College costs in the US have been increasing at about double the rate of inflation. That means every year it becomes harder and harder to afford.

saltydog likes this.
  11. Doug D

Quite true, Mark. In the two years my daughter was at ODU, tuition costs went up 10-15% in one year.

12. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Ouch...its more expensive to be a parent in us.
    College is that what we call gymnasium, the school you go to after ground school?
    A Little simplified how it works in sweden.
    - Ground school : 6-16 years. Free, paid transportation,Food, School duty.
    - Gymnasium: 16-19 years.Free, paid transportation,Food, student loans and some grants avail.
    - Highschool: 19 -up and or University 19- up.Free.student loans and some grants avail.
    There are of course a number of different ways to get eduction.

13. Doug D

Very similar here:
    Elementary School (K-6th grade) - funded by local taxes (city/county - some state assistance)
    Middle School* (7th-8th grade) - funded by local taxes
    High School (9th-12th) - funded by local taxes

*some areas refer to middle schools as Junior High and have grades 7-9 with grades 10-12 in HS

Options after HS:
    1) go directly into the work force
    2) trade school*
    3) Junior or Community College* - (2 yr college)
    4) University/College (4 year)*
    5) Military service
    6) Live off Mom and Dad (LOL!)

*student loans/grants available or you pay out of pocket.

14. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Thanks it clarifies good.
    1) go directly into the work force- thats possibel here to, you can infact go to work when your out of "middle school" if you whant ( good luck finding work thou)
    2) trade school* - we have this also but its not separated from "hs" its a part of it.
    3) Junior or Community College* - (2 yr college)- we have something similar. Both for trade studies( practical) or for non trade studies (teoretical)
    4) University/College (4 year)*- same here
    5) Military service- almost not an option here, very few.
    6) Live off Mom and Dad (LOL!)- same but also living of Community.
    //ac tc

15. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Interesting. My 12 Journey battery was under the hood. Exposed except for a fur wrap.