Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercharged 2010 6.1l SRT

Discussion in 'Performance' started by moparroy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. moparroy

moparroy Member

Anyone put a blower on a 6.1l SRT motor? I am contemplating that possibility for my 2010 Challenger. What blower did you pick? Why? What is good or not good about it? I like the ProCharger air to air intercooler system but not crazy about the 2" drop in required in the rad and not sure my engine oil cooler (added) will fit in the grill with that big intercooler. I am not keen on the fuel pump boosters... although been told its not a big deal and should not impact pump life as it boosts only when needed. Edelbrock looks interesting - I believe no booster required for 6.1 from the instructions - but I like the stock look of the 6.1 motor and the install is more involved - but I suspect the torque boost may be more at lower RPM. Then there is the Vortech option...

2. j8jeeper

j8jeeper Active Member

We had a customer do the SMS package, he has loved it with zero issues after 3 years. The system install
    was clean, and the power was amazing. still the fastest car I have ever been in.

3. moparroy

moparroy Member

I bought an Edelbrock kit today - got a good deal on it from a shop that had one in stock for couple years...

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, give us the details. What does the kit contain and what does it expect to do afterwards?

5. moparroy

moparroy Member

The Edelbrock E-Force kit is supposed to be complete - the only thing it appears not to include is new intake gaskets - assume they are reusable but I think I'll order a set anyway. Its a screw type blower - rotors by Eaton which I guess is something special (I loosely recall the name but don't know much about Eaton). Its a kit number 1536 for the 6.1 - the advertised curves are below. The kit looks similar to the 1532 pictured below but that one includes a fuel pump which is not required for the 6.1 (is required for some 5.7s - not sure why). I seriously considered the Vortech kit which is cheaper and is advertised at 560 HO and 510 lb ft torque - although best power advertised I saw is the Procharger at 580 HP with an air to air intercooler - but there were a few things I did not like about that kit. I suspect Edelbrock may be more conservative in their published numbers - just a hunch but they are the only ones I could find a "stabdard" curve on.

I got this Edelbrock E-Force kit for about the Vortech price (in Canadian $$ as he had stocked it when the $ was at par) and in the end decided it has some advantages like the separate belt for blower only. I saw one of these in an SRT Charger at Moparfest last summer - looks sweet too. The fit and finish on the Edelbrock is nicer. Surprised me - the "Supercharged" coil covers are cast Aluminum (thought they'd be plastic...) The Edelbrock has a taller, narrower cooler rad - I think it will fit easier with my engine oil cooler which I'd like to keep. The screw type blower is supposed to produce more boost / power at lower RPM vs the Vortech and Procharger centrifugal types... though potentially less at top end - but I have been prone to hitting the rev limiter so less at the top is probably good :). The Edelbrock does not require a fuel pump voltage booster - the Vortech booster requires a vacuum line to the trunk which I was not keen on. The E-Force unit also has an adjustment for 3 different response settings - suspect that controls the boost engagement at lower RPM - their support guy told me it does not affect the max boost just the response. Edelbrock factory lube is also rated for 100,000 miles so no fussing around with oil changes on the blower which the Vortech requires. The guy who had it on the Charger said he chose it on Edelbrock's name and R&D reputation mainly.

The one thing that worries me a little is this kit was stocked for a couple years so the boxes have been open - but I looked through it carefully and seems to be complete - they had the blower head out on display and the rest stored away - Edelbrock will guarantee it.

Plan to start the install after Carlisle - they say 14-16 hours but I plan to take my time and do it over a couple weekends. Don't plan to drive the car till late August anyway.
    Edelbrock Power Curve1536.jpg 1532.jpg

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Looks pretty sweet actually. A friend of mine has several Eaton blowers on Lightning 5.4s, and they do seem to be pretty good blowers, so good choice in my book.

7. Tomguy

Level 2 Supporter

I love how the kit comes with the Predator tuner! The 6.1 intake gaskets are reusable, too, as long as you don't crease the aluminum or tear the seal (Some synthetic type of rubber I believe).

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It isn't the kit with the most power, but it is probably the safest kit on the market.

Really well rounded and put together.

Mike

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

At least the Eatons don't use teflon strips to seal the air pressure. My friend had several of them, all over 100K and they still boost to the designed boost levels without effort.

10. moparroy

moparroy Member

Finished the installation around the 3rd week of August and put the car back on the road for about 5 weeks - its hibernating again now. It works really nice - I broke traction / engaged the traction control on dry pavement twice in second gear - and I was not trying or the trac would have been off. The SC has 3 response settings - does not change boost - just tunes the RPM (vacuum) needed to control the bypass - the #3 setting they say use only for race / track and I see why - I moved it back to #2 after a couple days cause I thought the tires would be gone - it was really hard to control in that setting - if you tried accelerating moderately in 1st or 2nd in traffic it would break lose. I am certainly happy with the result - my hope was that it would break lose on throttle alone in 1st - well it will do so in 1st and 2nd. Had two little problems - one little support pin was missing from the kit - Edelbrock mailed one right away - actually 2 of them and had trouble with the circulation pump for the intercooler - turned out it was losing its prime cause I had the feed hose slightly above the level in the reservoir. I have also noted the rad fan runs constantly now once the engine is warmed up - have ordered a 180 Tstat to put in next spring figure that should keep it below the rad fan set point that seems to be lower with the Edelbrock program (although Edelbrock said they had no other reports of that - but you have to listen closely when you are in the car).

#10 moparroy, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    JA Cumbo and Tomguy like this.