Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping a 3.5L into a JR...

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by Stratuscaster, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Long-time Stratusphere member Tom Vago owns a 2002 Sebring Convertible GTC - with the 2.7L V6 and 5-speed stick. Recently, his 2.7L destroyed itself in a faily spectactular manner. Rather than replace it with another 2.7L, Tom has embarked on a mission to replace it with a 3.5L V6 from a 2007 Sebring.

If you want to follow along, here's the link to the thread over on Stratusphere.NET:
    http://www.stratusphere.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52645

If successful, this would create the only 3.5L/5-speed JR that I'm aware of.

2. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Cool! I'm going to pin this one for the moment, since a few of us have expressed interest in this...

3. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

Just picked up an 01 with a bad 2.7. I'll be looking for a swap as well. I've got a line on a 2.4 in a Stratus which I might consider. This will be a toy car, not for serious travel ro much use so the 2.4 would be OK for what I'd do with it. If I were actually going to drive it much at least a 3.3 would be better, but I suspect that those might not swap very easily. Electrical hookup might be trouble. But if a 3.3/3.8 would bolt up (to the car, transmission would come with engine)I can get hold of those for very little money.

4. Stratuscaster

There have been some updates, check out the link in the original post. It runs!

5. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

After reviewing your experience I'm going to look into swapping in a 3.3 automatic from a minivan. Or maybe a 2.4 because I won't really be using this car for much other than open top cruising which doesn't need much power anyway. If I want to go fast I've got other stuff already.

6. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

Or it may be possible to rebuild the 2.7. Just ran into a guy I know near here who has just done that. Lost oil pressure, spun the crank bearings, but didn't hurt the rest of the engine. I'll have a look at mine when I get it into the shop and if it's just the crank I may do that instead of a swap. Who knows?

7. t vago

t vago Active Member

If you were going to rebuild the 2.7L, be sure to remove all of the loose aluminum flash from that engine. Otherwise, you'll have to replace bearings again in about a year. Also, change out the timing chain system and put in the new revised chain with upgraded water pump. Just be aware that changing the timing chain system requires the use of a special tool to remove the crank sprocket. That, and the revised chain and water pump are dealer-only items at this time.

8. kc300m

kc300m Member

A few years ago I ran across a guy who took out the 3.5 in his 97 LHS and put in a 3.5 from a 99 300M. He said it was the best sleeper he ever had.

9. Stratuscaster

Just heard from Tom Vago - the "Frankenvertible" is no more.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Bad news. We should probably still see if we can put up a story here, with your permission.

11. Stratuscaster

I've got no issues with it, but I'll ask Tom himself.

12. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Aw man, that stinks... Glad everyone is okay though, if not shaken up for it.

13. t vago

t vago Active Member

Thank you for your kind words.

What sort of story were you thinking of?

14. digitalrailroader

digitalrailroader Well-Known Member

I think what Dave means is that he want's to put up an article on how you Built the Frankenvertible, all of the neat goodies you put in it, and how it met its untimely Demise.