Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping alternators - Bosch or Denso?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by bazzwell, Dec 3, 2017.

1. bazzwell

bazzwell Active Member

1994 Lebaron LE sedan with a 3.0 and 117k.

Began experiencing some nagging charging issues and think I might have it solved, maybe. Alternator seemed to not be doing it's job but a small tap on the top with a hammer springs it back to life. The car originally came with a Bosch alternator (big body with the fins) and was replaced with a u-pull-it (but looked new) same type replacement. That replacement is now giving up the ghost.

I have two other alternators on hand, both Denso (smaller body, no fins), u-pull finds. Can these be swapped in instead of the Bosch type? The only thing I see is some of the wiring is in a slightly different location but should still fit.

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

In that model year Chrysler used 90 amp and 120 amp alternators. Your vehicle may have been equipped with a 120 amp Bosch unit. You can replace with a Denso alternator from the same time frame. Mounting is the same and electrical connections are the same. Check and make sure you have the same or more grooves in the alternator pulley as the original Bosch unit.

The Denso unit will work just as well as the Bosch alternator. If your car originally had a 120 amp alternator there might be a few instances if you idle the engine a lot with numerous electrical accessories in use, the battery may become somewhat discharged if the used Denso units are only 90 amp. Try it and see what happens.

valiant67 likes this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It's possible that there is a broken/intermittent connection inside, particularly to a field terminal. In this case, replacement should fix the problem.

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Could that intermittent connection also be a brush that's sticking? I'd remove it and put new brushes in it if it were mine.