AF: switching an 89 318 efi to carb questions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switching an 89 318 efi to carb questions

Discussion in 'Vans' started by ati2ude78, Jul 25, 2015.

1. ati2ude78

ati2ude78 Member

hi all,
    I am brand new on here. I have a very new dodge truck and Chrysler 300 and love them. so I went out and bought an old 89 b350 van with the 318 efi. I want to switch to a older style carb setup to keep it simple and get rid of all the emissions stuff. this is a rig that I won't be driving often as I am building a boondocking campervan out of it. I am not completely green when it comes to engines but I am to the 318 motor. obviously I will need a new intake out of a donor along with a fuel.pressure regulator. but unsure about transmission issues with the automatic I already have and stuff like that. any help would be awesome.
    thanks

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The carburetor system would actually have more 'emissions stuff and vacuum hoses' than the EFI system and generally give poorer driveability. A carburetor set-up would be a big step backwards IMHO. Not only the intake, but the wiring harness, heads and fuel tank/lines are different also. You would almost want a non-EFI (pre-1988) parts donor van to do this.
    You would be better off getting the EFI system working well. Any fault codes? What symptoms are you having?

pt006 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

A lot is going to depend on the transmission. If it's the old 3 speed the only electronic issue is the lockup. But if you have the OD then both OD and lockup are computer controlled.

pt006 likes this.
  4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

You do have throttle body injection in 1989, so it is the simplest system to start with as far as injection goes. And although I don't overly like getting rid of a good system overall, I understand what you want to do and can understand the simplicity you are searching for. That said, you will need to get ahold of one of the aftermarket transmission companies, there is wiring and switches to put one of these transmissions behind older engines to have overdrive, so it can be worked around. Although the injector intakes are not highly capable in the flow numbers, a good dual plane 2 or 4bbl manifold and carb, a distributor with vacuum advance and the electronic controls to operate it (or aftermarket has one wire/limited wire distributors), and a fuel regulator to go from 14psi for the TBI down to 4-6psi. Lot of money, easier to keep what you have.

5. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I have to ask, whaffor?
    If it runs like it is, even if it needs repair, you are IMO much farther ahead with the SBEC/EFI.
    To me this makes about as much sense as taking the helper leaves out of the rear end.

pt006 likes this.
  6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

ati2; what you are asking about is illegal in many states and probably illegal as a federal law too! [catalytic converter; etc.]

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

bguy; I added helper leaves to my rear end. I used peppermint leaves. Why? Because I wanted my wife to call me a sweet guy.