Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Swoop of a Secret Weapon"

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

IMO, one of the best articles ever written about stock car racing and the "factory wars" of the 60s, especially by a non-racing publication.

Whaddaya all think? This is the way you get real "performance" publicity, though I realize that similar circumstances just can't happen in Nascar these days.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1075692/1/index.htm

I have the original magazine article (torn & tattered, text exactly the same but with a few pictures not in this SI archive), but Dave alerted me about possible copyright problems. I posted it on another board that is less concerned about that. If you are interested in the link to that site, PM me.

2. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Thanks for the link.

Another place to spend some rainy afternoon time.

That is if life ever slows back to normal......

3. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Wow what a great article. Loved the LeMans start comment!!

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Isn't that great? One of the best parts of the article, imo.

5. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I think it would be a GREAT TV commercial!

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yea.................if Dodge were still in Nascar and wanted to publicize that they were. They could have mockingly still run something like that last year after BK won the championship. Alas, as most of us seem to agree, Chrysler's current "performance" marketing has left much to be desired.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  7. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

I pray for the day when Mopar becomes the fastest on the tracks and the streets, the same way it was when the Muscle cars war began..

caine440 likes this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Whatever works. I'd think of maybe sticking pins in the tail ends of bobble-head dolls of the company management, but the heads might be a better location. A Nascar Cup championship and barely a toot of the company horn? A "Performance" division with just about ZERO participation in major US motorsports (except NHRA). When you read the article and see the effort and company support that went into just that one race.................Amazing contrast.

9. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

That article makes me happy. Very well written.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Champion Spark plugs helped celebrate the victory.

[​IMG]

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Part of the sports section from the "The Detroit Free Press". Feb. 24, 1964

[​IMG]

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Very good photo of the winning car that somebody posted on E-bay. These '64 Belvederes are among my all time favorite Mopars - not only did they look good but they absolutely RULED in Nascar and NHRA SS racing that year.

[​IMG]

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Personally, I'd give a little more credit for 426 Hemi fame to it's drag racing exploits rather than all of it to the results from the 1964 Daytona 500, but, nevertheless, here is a very good article from the ongoing HRM series on the 50th anniversary of the 426 Hemi.

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_stories/1404_secret_of_the_426_hemi/

P.S. Thanks HRM article writer David Kennedy for not appearing to be a "Brand C" engine worshipper (there are plenty of them over @ HRM) and inferring that "Brand C" motors are a dime-a-dozen and "Belly-button boring". :lol:

MoparNorm likes this.
  14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Found this in my racing memorabilia,

In 1964, Ford had "Total Performance" as their marketing theme. After Ford got their tails handed to them by the Hemis at Daytona, these buttons were being handed out at Plymouth dealers.

[​IMG]

There may be a lesson in there somewhere about having "performance" in your marketing themes and not living up to it (or even putting in a competitive appearance) in bigtime US motorsports.

Attached Files:

15. dyslexic teddybear

I have heard of the "total performance" many times.....but not the above. Super cool. Sometimes the response is just toooo easy.

History always has it's lessons. Too bad they are so often ignored.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Frankly, I've got concerns now about Dodge being marketed as "affordable performance" with virtually no presence in major US motorsports (except NHRA). Could Dodge's main marketing rivals produce the modern media equivalent of those buttons to mock their "affordable performance" pitch?

A little innuendo in modern "social media" can spread like wildfire.

17. dyslexic teddybear

"Concerned" seems an understatement.

I'm sure Chrysler/Dodge has a whole flock of highly educated marketing experts that can do surveys/target marketing/demographic type stuff. All valuable ways of how to sell the product.

But if they are not car guys, or the boss is not......they are missing the emotional part. The part that takes pride in what our car company does on track. Naming rights, banners, pace rig.....are commercials. Forgettable.

With the exception of the superbowl.......who sit's around with their friends/coworkers and discuss the commercials they saw Sunday?

18. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

In 2012 BK won a Drivers Championship.

Dodge did not win the Manufacturers Championship.
    That went to Chevy.

19. md80891

md80891 Active Member

I used to joke that the Daytona was so fast you could pull into the pits for a sandwich and a coke and still keep the lead. Then I discovered it actually happened some place.

20. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Actually, Dodge DID win the Manufacturers championship that year...in Nationwide...didn't hear from them then either... ;)
    Almost impossible to win a manufacturers championship in Cup with only two entries, Dodge was the best car in Cup, in 2012. A marketing failure, for certain.

Dave Z and GasAxe like this.