Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Swoop of a Secret Weapon"

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Link to You-tube video of the 1964 Daytona 500;

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The complete "Motor Trend" article on the 1964 Daytona 500 shared from a Flicker site.

I love the part on the 2nd page where Max Muhleman writes "So superior was the Chrysler Hemi engine at Daytona that it was a simple matter of who had one and who didn't. Those with it raced by themselves". A little further into the paragraph he writes about the original doubts (mostly the Ford teams) that the new Hemis would stay together for 500 miles "Ironically, it worked out the other way around. Ford........lost equipment left and right...." and about supposed improvements to their 1963 427 motor "it would have seemed that the improvements might have been in the wrong direction" [​IMG].

I hope that this transfers where you all can read it without too much effort. If not, I can quote a few more passages (I have the original MT issue with the article).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Jimmy Pardue was one of the up & coming drivers in a Hemi Plymouth in 1964. He finished 2nd to Richard Petty in the Daytona 500, and then went on to 14 more top 5 finishes that year. Here are a couple of photos of his car shared from a fan's Pinterest page. The first is from Daytona and the second one was shot @ Darlington where Pardue finished 5th twice that year.

Jimmy Pardue @ Daytona 1964.jpg

Jimmy Padrue @ Darlington 1964.jpg

The listed owner was a fellow named Charles Robinson.

Unfortunately, tragedy struck the team when Jimmy Pardue was killed while tire testing for the Fall Charlotte race (article from the "Eugene Register Guard").

Jimmy Pardue killed article.jpg

After Jimmy Pardue was killed, Charles Robinson picked Larry Thomas, a part time driver for Cotten Owens, to drive his Plymouth race cars in 1965. Larry Thomas was on his way to tire test @ Daytona in Jan, 1965, when he died after plowing into a car from behind on one of the roads to the track. A sad and discouraged Charles Robinson folded up his racing operation and never raced in Nascar again.

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

5. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Another 500 is quickly approaching... I can't help but lament the start of yet another Mopar-less season.

At least the privateers in IMSA had a good showing and look poised to do well this year - though I must admit, it's just not the same type of feeling to me...

Thanks for all the memories! I'd be okay with more modern stuff, like the Intrepids and what not, should you have it. I know, I know, not the same class of cars, but historical and interesting all the same.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I am spending my "free Sundays" working on my stuff. :cool:

MPE426HEMI and Jerry Simcik like this.
  7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I have been a die hard NASCAR fan my whole life so I will be in front of the TV Sunday watching the race.....................

DC-93 likes this.
  8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

There is something to be said about not caring who wins in a spec race... :)

That being said, I do pull for the "local guy" - Brad. And, wish poor results for any and all Toyotas!:cool:

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I always pull for Brad.....................but I enjoy watching all the rookies coming up now. Especially the sons of former drivers like Chase Elliot and Jeb Burton and Ryan Blaney and the other young guns like Kyle Larson and the Dillon brothers who have been around for a few years. By the way, Jeff Gordon did an awesome job as a commentator on the Sprint Unlimited last weekend.....................really made DW look and sound like someone who hasn't been coming up to speed on how the cars are handling now a days. Jeff really was able to explain why and how the cars were acting as they were.

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Me three.

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I always cared more about the brand of car than any driver ( Ray Elder excepted). If they switched from driving a Mopar to another brand, I quit supporting them (Pearson, for example). If they went over to "Brand C", they went onto my s#*+ list.

If they came over from another brand to Mopar, I became a fan (Lorenzen, for example).

My Old Nascar habit is hard to break but my only pleasure now is to see the cars/drivers from "Brand C" get beat or blow up. Go Kyle Busch!

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Ed started a thread on the Nascar Intrepids a while back and you can find it further down in this section. The reason I started this particular thread is that this was the race that put Mopar onto the top of the Nascar heap and the story behind it, "Swoop Of A Secret Weapon", was one of the best articles that I have ever read on Nascar racing, particularly one by a non-racing publication (SI). I linked it in post #37 on P2 of this thread in case you haven't read it. (Actually, a re-link as the original link I placed in post #1 will no longer work)

#92 Beentherebefore, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Jerry Simcik likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

They still using bump stops??

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The next race on the 1964 Nascar schedule after the Daytona 500 was a 250 lapper at Richmond;

Petty @ Richmond - 1964 article.jpg

Pearson wins @ Richmond 1964 article.jpg

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Dodge News Bureau/Ray Nichels publicity photo of Bobby Isaac in an early Hemi powered car.

Bobby Isaac in '64 Dodge -Dodge news bureau.jpg

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot (shared from Pinterest) of the business end of the Ray Fox owned Dodge @ the 1964 Daytona 500. The car was driven by Junior Johnson which is hard to believe since, after 1964, he did everything he could to make losers of Mopar drivers in Nascar.

Jr Johnson driving Ray Fox's '64 Dodge.jpg

A few months after the below photo was taken @ Daytona, the Fox-Johnson pairing split and Jr Johnson never had anything to do with Mopars in Nascar again.

Jr Johnson & Ray Fox.jpg
    Ray Fox continued to build winning Mopars in Nascar and ARCA throughout the rest of the '60's and early 70's. Among his winning drivers were Buck Baker, Buddy Baker, Jim Vandiver and Earl Balmer.

Dave Z likes this.
  17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A Chrysler Corp ad from 1964 a few months after their "secret weapon" showed up at racetracks all over the country...............

Chrysler racing ad from 1964.jpg

Sorry about the small image guys. In case you can't read it, the small print says "Where will you see Chrysler Corporation's new hemispherical engine in action?"

Dave Z likes this.
  18. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Interesting that it took Chrysler so long to use the HEMI name in advertising.

First I noticed was the 1965 Coronet ad: "ought to have its head examined."

I don't think the Hemi name was trademarked until later.

Anyone know ??

Thanks
    Randy
    [​IMG]

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I was already hearing about Hemis in the mid-late 1950s, though you usually heard the whole "hemispherical combustion chambers" when people referred to them. HRM and other publications covered the Daytona Beach flying mile competitions and Hemi powered Chryslers did well in those. Also Dodge "Red Ram" Hemis were seen around racetracks and given their due praise when they did their share of winning. The ad that I posted in #97 above came out in 1964 but it still refers to a "Hemispherical engine". By 1964, you were already hearing "Hemis" around the dragstrips that I frequented and I think Chrysler just started to officially recognize what was already becoming common vernacular among motorsports fans. I don't know when the shortened "Hemi" name was actually trademarked. Maybe it's in one of the historical articles on the Allpar homepage (?).

BTW, that 1965 ad for the Coronet was inaccurate. There were no Coronets (or any other Mopars) built for the street in 1965 with Hemi motors, as the ad implies - only the special-built A-990 lightweight drag racing packages and they definitely were not streetable. The story was that the Dodge ad agency got wind of the forthcoming 1966 street-Hemi packages and mistakenly jumped the gun.

#99 Beentherebefore, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  20. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Pre-1966 there were not supposed to be any Hemi engines intended for the street, but they got there anyway. I was working in sales at a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in North Dakota in1964, and we special ordered a stripped Savoy 2-door sedan with a Hemi, 4-speed for a local drag racer who licensed it for the street. We also ordered a loaded '64 Sport Fury, also a Hemi with a 4-speed, for our parts manager. He raced it, but it was street licensed and he drove it to work every day. On the inside door of the glove box, there was a plate stating that the car was built for competition only, and that the 5-50 warranty did not apply.

One thing about Chrysler Corporation in the sixties was that you never say never when it comes to a car equipped with parts that were not listed as being available. Our regional manager told us to never lose a sale because some part combination wasn't supposed to be available, and we took advantage of that several times. That was especially true of trucks sold by the next-door Dodge dealer that shared a service department with us. The down side is that special orders took a long time to arrive and not many customers wanted to wait that long.