Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T2K-CAR rebirth

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by 85lebaront2, Oct 4, 2017.

1. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Since I just joined a couple of months ago, I guess I should post my project. This is a replacement for my "T2K-CAR" (my avatar is the Virginia plate for it), a 1985 LeBaron Mark Cross convertible. Car was built with a 2.6L Mitsubishi engine with a feedback carb. I fought with computer problems from day one of acquiring it in 2003. System would stay in full lean mode most of the time in trying to accelerate, I finally got a non-feedback carb and used it until I developed the Mitsubishi curse, a cracked head, 3 of the 4 combustion chambers were cracked. After pricing a used, condition unknown head and an exchange head I was in the scrap it or powertrain swap it. I had traded an early Dell laptop for an Turbo engine and transmission from a 1987 LeBaron sedan, the salvage yard that had it thoughtfully wrote my name on the windshield with "no parts for sale" so I could take my time removing stuff from it.

When I pulled the powertrain, the engine was filthy, lots of oil all over the timing belt area, so I wasn't sure what I had, but have owned a turbocharged car previously I wanted the turbo setup. Upon cleaning, I discovered I had a rare beast, a 1988 Turbo II long block service replacement, block is dated 1-8-88 and has the unique to 1988 crank sprocket and pulley. After fixing the oil leak and doing a tear down and refresh on it and beefing up the A-413, it was "game on". A friend had given me a 1987 Turbo II 2 piece intake and fuel rail (no injectors) I score a 1989 Garret Turbo II turbocharger on eBay and found a set of 2.5L turbo injectors (same as T2). I drove the car, complete with a Mopar Performance program in the logic module until February 2009 when a Mercedes-Benz ML320 tried mating with it and destroyed the right rear corner.

I had purchased a 1986 convertible from the same yard the engine came from for parts, so I saved everything salvageable from the 1985 car. Between getting ready for retirement and moving to the Eastern Shore of Virginia, along with some major rework on my 1986 F350, the project got put on the back burner. It is underway now. I have adapted a 1989 LeBaron coupe dash as the K car choices were minimal gauges or a not super accurate digital unit, I have revamped the power distribution from fusible links to a 1996 Stratus PDC which replaced all the fusible links and the relays. In order to address a problem with adequate cooling for the A/C condensor due to the intercooler radiator, I have fitted a modified Ford Contour dual fan system in front of the condensor using the low and high speed fan relays and fuse in the Stratus PDC. My main problems currently are needing the floor replaced (found a pristine, blown engine Reliant as a donor) and getting the engine electronics straight (I going to a 1990/91 SBEC). I have apparently manged to get something crossed up in the wiring to the 60 way connector and damaged two of them. All wiring is sorted now, and a TBI SBEC will work the controls as far as turning on the system and triggering the coil, neither turbo SBEC will work, so I am searching for a good used one that I can socket for my custom programmed chip.

2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great project!!

Not criticizing, just curious as to why SBEC when SMEC's are so readily available and cheap in T-I, T-II and 2.5T versions ??

Thanks
    Randy

3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Because I (a) want sequential injection and (b) want to stick a 41TE from a 2.4L engine in there and need the serial bus comm to talk to the EATX controller. Trying to get a 5 speed in one of these is a royal PITA due to the body reinforcement down the center, it sits about 3" above the exhaust tunnel and the AT shifter goes on there with the shift cable and some wiring harnesses running between the reinforcement and the floor.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on the trans swap, sounds interesting.

Thanks
    Randy

5. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

I will, supposedly there is one bolt difference between the 2.2-2.5L block mounting and the 2.0-2.4L one, the other, and bigger item is the starter location, it is on the front side and has an interference fit with the oil pressure and turbo feed tap.

I also plan (and have run the wires for) using an Autostick shifter and EATX controller for it.

6. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Since it is a 31 year old convertible this is one of the major problems: Left front floor copy.jpg

7. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Left rear footwellTD..jpg Here is the left rear.

8. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Right front and rear Right front floorTD.jpg Right rear footwellTD.jpg

9. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

And the trunk spare tire well. Trunk well 2TD.jpg

10. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

1996 Dodge Stratus PDC replacing the relay cluster and bundle of fusible links. Battery was with the car when I bought it, works well enough for testing. SBEC is tucked where the 1986 power module went. DSCN2366.jpg

11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I now apparently have managed to mess up another SBEC, I bought a used one, cracked case and did a quick operational test, plug it in, hook up the battery and turn the key on, ASD closed, then opened and spinning a spare distributor plugged into the engine harness gave immediate ASD close and spark from the coil wire to ground.

I opened it up, carefully removed the innards from the case and cut away enough of the potting to reach the chip and back side where it is soldered in. Using a Radio Shack temperature sensing iron and solder sucker, I carefully removed the chip and replaces it with an Aries electronics 25-516-11S ZIF socket which perfectly clears a small device on the board near the inboard end of the program chip. The Aries socket footprint is just a tiny bit larger than the 87C257 chip so it clears everything. After finishing that, I installed my custom tune chip and went to do the QC check, no ASD cycle and no response with the distributor. So I am right back where I was, I have to use the custom tune as there were no Turbo II engines in 1990/91, Turbo I, Turbo III and Turbo IV only.