Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax cuts for FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Ingvar, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Keeping that in mind... it's long past time for the NHTSA to look at tail light strength; some cars have theirs at blinding levels.

tlc, David S, valiant67 and 2 others like this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I see lots of Cherokees around here with only the LED running lights and fog lights on.

David S likes this.
  3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Part 2 of my statement was not clear, lacking autonomous safety features standard on some base low cost cars. Scrap the infotainment and other frills for safety features.

David S, cdjr77 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Those technologies are coming down in price. Look how much tech is jammed into cars now then they were 10 years ago.

5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I might be talking out of turn, but I believe he is referring to the current trend to put all safety features in base vehicles and not just in the higher trims.

Some nations are considering legislation that you cannot offer a base vehicle with less safety features than the top trim line of that model.

David S and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They certainly have a presence in the sportsman category, but I wouldn't call it huge. The Jeromes have been running Mopars for over a decade. Other West Coast racers that I am familiar with (I live in Calif) like the Wanns, the Durhams and Bob Mazzolini have been racing Stock & SS Mopars for over 3 decades (4 decades for the Wanns and Jerry Stein) and winning. $500 will pay for the towing to the track, entry fee, a few meals, and a few nights at Motel 6 - and not much else. Some of the major NHRA national events this past year (like the "Dodge Nationals") only had 10 or fewer Mopars in Stock & SS in 60+ car fields.The picture I posted of SS Dodges from 1964 was about half of the teams with some factory support (plus an equal amount of Plymouth teams). Those teams were given the special lightweight packages at greatly reduced prices, or free in many cases to the top teams. The teams then completed the vehicle assemblies to the specs of whatever drag series they wanted to participate in. Mopar can certainly afford to give 20 or 30 "bodies in white" with Hellcat motor packages to their longtime loyal sportsman racers who have proved what they can do with Mopars in NHRA Stock & SS racing. Get 20 or 30 of the new Challengers out there now and "Factory Stock Eliminator" could look like the old SS and AFX days back in the 60s - dominated by Mopars. The "buzz" created by that would go a long way to negating the effect of their lack of presence in Pro Stock.

#46 Beentherebefore, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  7. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

As far as headlights go, this is what I've noticed:

-- "Old fashioned" halogens in reflector housings with the dual-element bulbs seem to work better in some ways. Brights for those are actually brighter, as well as being aimed slightly higher than the low-beams, which are actually a lower intensity light. Therefore, a lot less blinding to oncoming traffic.

-- Newer LED/Projector headlights are bright as hell, but you only are lifting the shutter out of the way to allow for the "brights". So you're running around with "brights" intensity all the damn time, blinding people.

The bigger problem, I think, is as our speed limits rise, so too, does our need to see further, and further ahead. "Not bright enough" isn't the issue, I don't think. It's you're driving faster than the capability of headlights to light up the road in front of you without blinding people.

jerseyjoe, tlc, David S and 5 others like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Good explanation.

suzq044 likes this.
  9. Don W

Don W Active Member

FCA w/ the new extra cash should finish paying off the debt, go after GME 6 harder, and I know I'm going to get a ton of crap for this, but make an aluminum body RAM, Challenger, Charger and maybe Durango. I like steel and I know we can innovate on it for a while, but looking at the Jeep JL, yes it may be a little more expensive, but losing 200 lbs is huge. I see way more pros than cons with the aluminum switch. Imagine a lighter RAM and a really good GME 6 to directly compete with Ford's ecoboost. Imagine a lighter challenger to compete with this upcoming shelby GT500 which is going to make engineers at FCA sweat a bit. The charger hellcat will easily be the best sedan on the market and the Durango would be even more nice especially with the SRT.

bluskye and UN4GTBL like this.
  10. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Agreed I buy a car every 10 or 11 years in 2009 i needed to be retrained! That aside time is not on my side, need safety stuff as I get older. I find I am not equipped to deal with new drivers that think laws are suggestions.

somber and suzq044 like this.
  11. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Aluminum is not the future and quite frankly really isn't that good. CON weight to strength it is in everyway inferior to steel. It works in the body because the primary goal is not strength but shape and geometry. Aluminum is just a temporary place holder for better materials some of which are already in the Alfa models.

tlc, Ian, Mike V. and 7 others like this.
  12. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

1. I think you are right about the reference.
    2. That legislation would be foolhardy as many manufacturers would delay additional features as they become available if forced to offer them across the board.

13. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

I agree , both front and back have gotten to blinding levels on a lot of cars . Pretty dangerous in my view . they are just as bad or worse than someone leaving their high beams on .

David S and suzq044 like this.
  14. Bigun426

Level 2 Supporter

Pay for Ram recall

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Front headlight strength is already regulated.

Tail lights should be on with DRLs. Morons driving with DRLs at night are a hazard and should be heavily ticketed.

16. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

This is the unfortunate side. These vehicles are priced by market. They will sell them for as much money as we are willing to pay for them. Any money will be shown as profit to increase stock price

TripleT likes this.
  17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I was nearly blinded by the brake lights of a rescue squad unit (not the emergency lights) as I waited behind the unit had a traffic light. Those lights were ridiculously bright. I couldn't even look at the unit. Had to divert my eyes.

David S and Bob Lincoln like this.
  18. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

While we are posting pet peeves about lights, how about street signs that a super-reflective? Driving in rural areas with high-beams on, round a corner and a sign blinds you with the reflection!

I like the new reflective signage, but I think they are taking it a bit far.

Cody's Car Conundrum and suzq044 like this.
  19. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Or people who put HIDs in reflector housings. Which I was guilty of myself a couple years back, but I do realize how dangerous it is when an HID has its light scattered everywhere by a reflector which wasn’t intended to handle that much output.

suzq044, David S, wtxiceman and 2 others like this.
  20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

This is the real issue... and lifted trucks that do not have their headlights adjusted down as the truck is lifted up.

Mike

MJAB, suzq044, bluskye and 3 others like this.