Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax cuts for FCA

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Ingvar, Dec 21, 2017.

1. David S

David S Member

I wonder why they don't turn it into the rally subbrand of Alfa like Abarth is the subbrand of Fiat.

2. David S

David S Member

Really? The FWD compact and midsize cars are on their way back? There are prototypes of the Dodge and Chrysler compact and midsize CUVs running around? They are only 5 years behind schedule.

3. David S

David S Member

IIHS has their new test for headlights, points are taken off for glare that blinds other drivers.

I was at a restaurant the other day, there was a lifted Wrangler with LEDs, really blinding at eye level for anyone driving a car. The new Cherokee and Ram are going backwards on this, the headlights were in the right place before, now they are too high.

4. David S

David S Member

Actually it is probably the new exotic materials that drove the price up a few thousand dollars. High strength aluminum alloys and magnesium dropped the weight by 200 lbs.

5. David S

David S Member

That's how every car got CHMSL, airbags, ABS, ESC, etc.

6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Totally agree there. My Darts auto highs would occasionally blind itself (and us) on signage, lol.

Goes back to what I was saying about hids vs reflectors with dual filament bulbs. Hids are always the same intensity, regardless of whether the highs are on or not.

David S and Erik Latranyi like this.
  7. David S

David S Member

Build the vehicles that were in their original plan, Chrysler and Dodge compact and midsize cars and CUVs.

CivoLee likes this.
  8. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

AlfaCuda and suzq044 like this.
  9. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Probably because neither suggestion is a good idea...

10. suzq044

I would still like to see a modern Jeep in rally, or rallycross, and maybe ram for stadium supercross. Lol. Renegade seems made for rally/cross, imo.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Well, similar but different - the OP suggested that one couldn't offer safety equipment on high level vehicles unless also on low end. That's quite different than mandated to include...

suzq044 likes this.
  12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Been there, done that.

David S likes this.
  13. suzq044

Nope. I mean like this:
    [​IMG]
    Not just having a "rallye" trim level or bumper/bodykit.

GasAxe likes this.
  14. David S

David S Member

So you prefer it reduced to a single minicar econobox, or did you have another suggestion for what to do with it?

15. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

That's not an ideal option, but still leaps and bounds better than selling it or turning it into a sub-brand.
    FCA should either rebuild it (and not by rebadging another brand's products), or close it down.

16. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Active Member

Sorry Lancia was in dire straights long before the acquisition of Chrysler try the 1960's ! Yes they have had some very innovative vehicles in their illustrious years but Lancia downfall is much deeper than placing the blame on FCA.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  17. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Why would selling Lancia be a bad idea? It couldn't possibly be run worse than it is right now. You might even see it totally rebuilt beyond your wildest dreams if the right people got a hold of it. If I was a Lancia fan I'd be pushing for a sale to Geely and get the same treatment they gave Volvo.

18. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

No argument there. My point was that the blatant rebadge job performed under FCA leadership did not constitute any proper attempt to rebuild Lancia - on the contrary it made things worse, and was by all indications the final nail in the coffin.

19. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

It would be a bad idea for FCA to sell Lancia, because it would involve arming one of FCA's competitors with a strong brand. Why would FCA want to do that, most likely only for a one-time settlement (perhaps even an insignificant one)? It's not in the long term interest of FCA to do so, and it should look at Ford's huge strategic error (arguably a necessary one at the time, but still) of selling Volvo to China and JLR to India and seek not to repeat it.
    Apart from the fact that I don't see how people would want a Chinese Lancia or actively advocate for even more automotive production lost to China (which Geely has already contributed to, see the S90), I don't see why it would be in FCA's interest to contribute to such a scenario as the one you describe.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  20. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Management compensation and debt buy down.