Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Roadster 1.9sec. 0-60 and 8.8 1/4 mile...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Cajun300C, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Cajun300C

Cajun300C Active Member

2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Looks cool, but can't help but think it is basically vaporware.

ScramFan likes this.
  3. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I think the Roadster is a preview of what is to come from Tesla. We will probably see updates to the Model S and X. This is just the start, especially for the new power pack. A 400 mile range is pretty much the same as a regular car.

Personally, I like the new roadster is probably the most out of all of them, I am not a fan of the design. Technology wise, he has usually followed through. Not on anyone's timeline except his own though.

The roadster looked very impressive on the live launch last night, not too mention the new rigs.

Wil

4. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

They'll be able to make this one, because it'll be mostly hand-built in very small numbers... just like Model 3 :p

But that "1.9 seconds to 60" claim will have so many asterisks behind it, it'll look like Christmas decorations. For anything under 2.0seconds, the tires are the limiting factor, and 2.0 seconds is right on the limit of G-force a street-legal tire can accommodate. To achieve this kind of 0-60 time on normal profile tires, you'll need a lot of computer intervention: so, you pay your $250,000, you push a button on the wheel, and the car accelerates fast. Totally worth it, I'm sure. (and it kills your battery. Formula-E electric race cars are limited down to a 3.5 second time, because they need to also drive around the track a few times after the race starts...)

For reference, Formula 1 racing cars can do 0-60 in as little as 1.6 seconds, but that requires pre-warmed racing slick tires at a 450 width that last about 150 miles, and some of the most skilled drivers in the world.

5. The Batman

The Batman Member

Why do you think that when they had a living, breathing prototype?

6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Look at when Tesla promised that the Model 3 was going to be shipping to buyers and then compare that to reality. Big deal they have a living, breathing prototype, but when will someone be able to buy one? I don't mean reserve one, like thousands of Model 3 hopeful owners did, but actually buy one and take possession of it.

ScramFan likes this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Well they said 3-4 years i think. The numbers are all very iffy and i will not believe them till they actually hit the streets, same with the semi

8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Which is why I basically said it was vaporware.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. The Batman

The Batman Member

Elon himself said that Model 3 production would be slow to start, and then ramp up, leading to around 5,000 a month in December. The Roadster isn't even going into production until next year, once Model 3 production has caught up. Doesn't really affect me that much since I'll be waiting for the first batch of pre-owned Model 3s.

The semi is going to be the bread and butter for this company.

10. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

It's the now factor... Everyone wants it now.
    We even have that now with the Demon and trackhawk.
    Elon has a problem of over estimating time lines and production numbers. He will eventually work it out. I don't know too many CEO's that will literally live at a factory to work out problems with production, contractors and lord knows what he is going through.
    I think that going into the larger truck production will revolutionize an industry that hasn't seen an major enhancements in years.
    He is already testing the semi's from his one factory's to another transporting goods.Order's are already being announced from large US and Canadian companies.
    From what I read and would think, the new roadster as stated will be a more limited production vehicle. I can see this fitting in the future quite easily and as I said earlier will dramatically change the whole lineup in future upgrades.

Wil

11. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

It's the now factor... Everyone wants it now.
    We even have that now with the Demon and trackhawk.
    Elon has a problem of over estimating time lines and production numbers. He will eventually work it out. I don't know too many CEO's that will literally live at a factory to work out problems with production, contractors and lord knows what he is going through.
    I think the going into the larger truck production will revolutionize an industry that hasn't seen an major enhancements in years.
    He is already testing the semi's from his one factory's to another transporting goods.Order's are already being announced from large US and Canadian companies.
    From what I read and would think, the new roadster as stated will be a more limited production vehicle. I can see this fitting in the future quite easily and as I said earlier will dramatically change the whole lineup in future upgrades.

Wil

12. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

He projection was around 5,000 a week in December. Not quite there yet. But, he still has about a week left of November to ramp things up from 3 a day to 1,000 a day. I'm not holding my breath.

Forget the Roadster and the Semi — Tesla’s fate still hinges on the Model 3 (at https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/18/16671478/tesla-semi-truck-roadster-2017-model-3-production )

ScramFan likes this.
  13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They are very far off the mark for model 3 from the very beginning and still not even close. Also they aren't starting to build next year for the roadster, maybe the following year since it's supposed to be a 2020 car but knowing tesla add an extra year and specs that don't live up to what they said.

ScramFan likes this.
  14. The Batman

The Batman Member

I get the "now factor" problem. Everyone wants the shiny new toy now now now.

15. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

MPE426HEMI and tomit like this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Seems they should worry about their Model 3 problems before this.

17. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

This did a pretty good job of deflecting attention from the problems with the Model 3. Plus, it will bring in more money from deposits so they have more cash to burn.

ScramFan likes this.
  18. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Elon is the smoke & mirror king, I’ll give him that.

vipergg, wtxiceman and caine440 like this.
  19. T_690

T_690 Active Member

I just watched one interesting interview with an owner of one automotive company. They are into R&D for BEV.

• He is 29, lived in Germany from age 3 through 11 or 12. Then he came to one small country. He was Electrical engineering champion in High School for whole country, and latter even international. His dad is wealthy so he started but he started this basically as a start-up.
    • He said that currently electrical car from production together with its life is more hazardous to environment than diesel car. But he also said that eventually all cars will be electric. The only question is when.
    • He started all of this to show how electric car could be also fun to drive. He was an amateur drifter.
    • It was difficult to find suitable people in his country for the project. All where newbies and now there are workers from 17 different nations. Also they had problems with suppliers because German suppliers charge to much for such a small projects and are reluctant to cooperate. Germans are willing to offer only old technology. So they made electrical windows, lightnings, infotainment... All by themselves from scratch.
    • Maybe the most interesting part to me. TV presenter asked him how big battery he needs to refill car every 600-700 km and to go 130 km/h on highway. Rimac answered that for battery electrical vehicle that's an utopia. Just a battery (200 kWh) for such a big range and speed is at least 50 thousand euros.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

They are going by the next gen solid state Lithium design by Texas University. Several leading automotive manufacture have signed up already.

wilbur likes this.