AF: The 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL status thread | Page 64 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL status thread

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It is my understanding that the future roll cage structure looks fairly similar to the current roll cage structure.

As always, nothing is official until it is official.

Mike

Ruptured Duck and Bionicrooster like this.
  2. Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks Active Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder on that one for sure....

3. Mike V.

It served a purpose.

Mike

4. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

This is good news and sounds promising to what I think is going to happen. Thank you and as you noted we will know when we know.

5. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

I wonder if it still serves a purpose for the Wrangler engineers or if it is long gone to a private collection.

6. Mike V.

Old designs are always reference in one way or another... Depends on the project

Mike

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

Please correct me if I'm wrong but i believe Chrysler is very good about keeping such projects, studies and concepts. Not Porsche good but better than others.

8. oh2o

Level III Supporter

To borrow someone else's quote, "you won't be disappointed"...

9. Mike V.

Thanks!

Mike

10. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Is there anything we will be disappointed with? ;)

11. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I am sure there are some here that will find something....

12. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Nothing I can think of, other than the hatchback being hard to lift up with the spare tire mounted.

Bionicrooster, jwp44 and Mike V. like this.
  13. Ruptured Duck

Now thats either really funny:)...or sadly not o_O

xjgary likes this.
  14. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Don't let Bob S. hear you call it a roll cage...;)

j8jeeper, Rick Anderson and Zagnut27 like this.
  15. Mike V.

Yes that's true and I will take my beating from him appropriately.

Mike

16. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Bob described how it could be done and would NOT be that hard.

A real "Roll Cage" is a labor intensive high strength steel tube frame, its incredibly impractical for a production vehicle, you can't just build enough of them fast enough, NOT to mention being insanely expensive.

The Sport Bar didn't offer enough strength to pass the standard and it wouldn't be practical either to upgrade it to do so. Think, the sport bar tearing through its mounting points as the weight is applied despite being upgraded in strength to hold twice the vehicle weight upside down.

Instead of building a roofless tub and bolting a sport bar to it. They design all the stampings to include strong bar like structures at the strongest points, distributing the load, perhaps some bracing at a few locations spot welded all together. I don't think it could look exactly like a sport bar practically, but it could be fairly close. After you wrapped padding all around the bars, it might look very much like the old sport bar except for some bracing that was necessary.

I'm thinking, a regular metal roof, that you peel back all the thin sheet metal and beef up pillar and crossbars to make up for the load carried by the thin sheet metal covering. Suck in the bars extending from the waist line and windshield rearward, a 1/2" so its NOT flush with the rest of the body, would give the room to fit soft/hard tops flush with the body, without compromising strength.

koussevitzky likes this.
  17. Rick Anderson

No folding windshield anymore, but remember the patent for the slide out and lay flat windshield on the hood, that disconnected from the A-Pillar and Cross-Beam that framed the windshield. So the frame needed to support the roof remains, but the glass can be taken out and strapped down on the hood, for the same effect as folding down the windshield, and it probably is easier done than the last couple versions of the wrangler's ability to fold down the windshield. (It wasn't that easy).

18. koussevitzky

koussevitzky Active Member

Ok͵ let's see if I got the idea:

Disclaimer: Layman lenguage͵ worse still͵ not native layman language. Any process described is just to help visualize my idea.

Desing a fixed metal roof that pass regulations.
    Then, make the holes you want and reinforce the remaining estructure. The bigger the holes are͵ more reinforce would be needed, thus making it heavier͵ despite being able to use a lighter material for the non stressed hole cover, so a compromise would be made after simulations and test.
    I guess some kind of bezel for the panels to fit͵ and some forming in order to not be totally flat and have some roll cagey look.
    I basically imagine a big hole in the roof͵ from a to c pillar͵ maybe without a cross beam for the b-pillar.
    Personally I would like options for the roof panels... solid and well isolated͵ a fabric contraption (maybe a la Fiat 500c bit with the thing hidden between c and d roof)) and maybe optional glass panels and a Safari roof͵ all somehow (internet magic) interchangeable.

19. Rick Anderson

I may have confused the situation, describing a conventional roof that you peel back the sheet metal and beef up the pillars and cross bars.

I don't "think" they will take that approach to designing it. I suspect they will design pillars connected with crossbars that are integrated into the whole body to be strong enough to pass the standards. The difference between this and the sport bar, would be the pillars would be welded into the body over a large area distributing the load and thus can withstand more crush or force. While a sport bar, bolts onto the body at the ends of the tubes, making a small area that does NOT distribute the load and will either sheer the attaching bolts or tear through the small amount of metal it is bolted too.

Take a look at the JKU pillars now, they are already rather round and complex shaped, you can shape pieces a lot when you stamp them. And the stamping could be shaped to form fit the other body panels over a large area, making lots welds and distributing the force on the pillar through a wide section of the body over several panels and NOT just at the end of a tube that is trying punch a hole in the body as its pushed into it.

Yes, there may be some attaching of bezels and channels to the pillars and crossbars to support the speculated options, like a soft top that slides back and down behind the rear seat, removable window panels on the side, etc..... Being stamped pieces and NOT round tube stock bent and welded together, the shaping of the pillars and crossbars might better support the channels and bezels for different roof/panel options.

Dave Z and koussevitzky like this.
  20. koussevitzky

koussevitzky Active Member

Thanks for the clarification.
    For the record͵ the peeling panels were an attemp to describe the general look in a "not quite a roll cage" way.