AF: The 2019 Chrysler 300 Returns Virtually Unchanged For The New Model Year: | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2019 Chrysler 300 Returns Virtually Unchanged For The New Model Year:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Sep 3, 2018.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I agree with most of what you say.

You point out correctly: the large car market had been dying prior to the 2005 300C launch. Which goes to show that the right product can turn around a dying category when there’s sufficient imagination and vision. You also point out correctly that Chrysler needs to revolutionize the market. I couldn’t agree more.

You have access to internal information those of us on the outside are not privy to. You and others kindly share whatever bits you can with an audience hungry for news. That’s the nature of the business. And we are grateful to all of you.

So let me try to articulate how things seem from the outside looking in: people are up in arms about Chrysler in part because of the lack of product. But lack of product is only the start. For those on the outside, there is this mystifying new brand positioning that is either being inadequately articulated, or has been poorly conceived. Whichever the reason, the result is the same: this new brand vision doesn’t seem to be resonating with those who have become familiar with Chrysler over the years. And when people who have been brand loyal to Chrysler for decades don’t get this new brand positioning, the reaction appears to be to blame them for not getting it. Sorry, the burden for successfully communicating a new brand positioning lies squarely on FCA, not on the customers. Besides, it doesn’t matter who the automaker is, alienating your most loyal customers is never a good thing.

Then there are these mythical products that were supposed to have been coming two years ago. From the outside looking in: they seem to be permanently floating somewhere in the future.

Yes, we got Pacifica. And it appears to have been a fairly successful launch. But I can’t say I have seen a new brand positioning be articulated for Pacifica. Yes, Chrysler tossed the Town & Country name in favor of Pacifica; yes, Chrysler targeted Millennials instead of Baby Boomers; and yes, Pacifica front-end styling looks closer to 200 than to 300 or to prior minivans. But none of that amounts to a new brand positioning. Those are just decisions Chrysler made to give Pacifica a good chance of success, and they worked. So we are still waiting to see this new Chrysler brand positioning be properly articulated. But if FCA believes that launching a bunch of new products in specific segments with styling that resemble each other amounts to repositioning a brand, it is up for a crude awakening. And after FCA totally screwed up Fiat’s N.A. relaunch, there’s legitimate reason for those on the outside to now be concerned about Chrysler.

FCA should be ramping up its new vision for Chrysler brand now, before it launches all these upcoming new products. It should be helping us understand why we should care about this new vision for the brand, how it benefits us, and why we should want to buy its upcoming products. Take this for whatever is worth: for better or worse, 300 is now the face of Chrysler. In consumers’ minds, however 300 gets treated Chrysler gets treated. Given this close connection between 300 and Chrysler, FCA should be leveraging 300 to help us understand this new brand vision. Instead, all we see is 300 —and by extension Chrysler— get neglected, discounted, decontented, discounted some more and neglected again.

And that’s precisely how many long-time Chrysler customers themselves feel treated.

#21 aldo90731, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I also agree with your summary @aldo90731, and your frustration.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

When the Cadillac XT4 debuts this fall it will have a starting price of $35,000 USD. Chrysler, as a brand, has to get serious and defend their market turf. It doesn't help Chrysler's cause that management can't figure out where the property lines are of this market they are supposed to be defending.

The Chrysler brand needs a new flagship. The current 300 has served well, but 15 years is a very long time in the auto biz.

4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

I agree, aldo. They need to be promoting this new brand message NOW, and not be waiting to do it when any vehicles launch. If they expect to figure it or just let the customers do so, after the launches, they they’re in trouble from the start.

valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

@aldo90731 :

Really, really well said. I agree with your findings.

I also hope you found a willing ear here ... one who works on the inside and has Gravitas.

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Hey! That's what Lincoln did. Oh, wait.:eek:

GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.
  7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Magnifico! I don't have to add a single letter....let alone a single word to this.

Again, you have given voice to the cry of my heart, and I would imagine, the cries of the hearts of many others here.

Thanks.

patricklynch and aldo90731 like this.
  8. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part, however in what way has the 300 been decontented? The 300 has all of the same options(non performance related) and more(interior and pano sunroof) than its LX siblings currently.

9. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - there's a simple way to differentiate Chrysler, and especially the 300.

AWD only (this will be a challenge with the top two engine options)
    Magnetic Adapative Suspensions with Sport, Normal, and Comfort settings
    Engine lineup: V6 (gas), V6 (diesel), TTV6 Pentastar, detuned HellCat engine (~600bhp)
    Upgraded dash with the 12" display standard

That's it. You can give the 300 a facelift. The chassis certainly needs an upgrade in all 3 variants. But really, the suspension difference coupled with the engine option difference and AWD lineup makes the Chrysler a very different proposition from Dodge. Sure, a convertible would be cool, particularly a folding hard top, but it's cost-prohibitive outside of Bentley and Rolls-Royce.

aldo90731 and Ryan like this.
  10. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

*Dreams of final year send-off with the 6.2L S/C and the 12in U-Connect*

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

To me why the 300C sold so well early on and why I bought one on '06 was the great value it was compared to the competition. Back in 2005/2006 the competition was all FWD vehicles with at most 250-270hp V6's. Then here comes a full size RWD 340-350hp V8 that got the same highway mileage as those V6's with an interior/features/stereo every bit as good if not better than Cadillac for only $34K. To beat the performance you would have to pony up to a CTS-V or E55/M5.

Offer great value...and people will come.

HotCarNut, CDJSalesPro and valiant67 like this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The base trim level that started in 2005 was discontinued as Chrysler was began to move upscale. Then that plan was abandoned and a more basic model slotted into the lower end of the lineup. Things like the 300C losing the standard Hemi and reduced availability of adjustable pedals are other examples. Chrysler, long before FCA, had a history of doing this, making small deletions to save costs after the first year or two of a new design. For example, my 1991 Grand Voyager had lumbar adjustments on every bucket seat. By 1992, only the driver's seat had it.

13. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I don’t know if power adjustable pedals are available on any of the L-cars anymore. I haven’t seen any new Chargers with that recently, either, and Challengers never had them available.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That's sad. It was a great feature and I was disappointed Durango/Grand Cherokee never offered them.

15. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Agreed. I don’t use it much in my car though and I’m not sure how many people even knew what it did. 2015 is the last year I’m certain it was in production. Possibly 2016. It probably would have been more useful in a Durango or Grand Cherokee... maybe they’ll get it when they are redesigned.

2014 was the last year for the heated/cooled cup holders in the Charger too... they didn’t make it through the refresh strangely.

valiant67 likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I used the power pedals all the time in my 2005 300C. I set the seat, the steering column, and the pedals where I wanted them. When I existed the car, the wheel tilted up, the seat swung back, and the pedals retreated to the furthest position. Really made it nice for my long legs getting in and out of the car.

Christopher and GasAxe like this.
  17. Danny Roberts

Danny Roberts Active Member

My Durango does all that (minus the pedals). It took some getting used to as I always try to exit the vehicle too fast.

18. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Easy exit is still available, just without the pedals. I turned it off in my car since my seat is already all the way back and the only thing it does is move the steering wheel. It does feel kind of cool though like you're in a cockpit of some kind of spaceship when the steering wheel tilts down toward you. lol

HotCarNut likes this.
  19. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

Nope, they were removed for 2016 model year.

And I think only the top-trim 300C (née 300C Platinum) gets the heated/cooled cupholders these days.

HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Yep, that’s right.