AF: The 2020 Vehicle Dependability results are out | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2020 Vehicle Dependability results are out

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by aldo90731, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

It has been my experience with friends, relatives and coworkers that buy Toyota vehicles, that many feel Toyota has excellent quality AND the dealer “takes care of them”. I hear this much less from Ford, GM and FCA customers - including myself.

I do think there is a correlation between fixing a car right the first time, with a pleasant and efficient service process - and the perceived impression of quality and reliability.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While it is impossible to totally separate perception from quality or dependability, JD Power strives to make the surveys as objective as possible.
    And if FCA is scoring worse because of perceptions, whose fault is that? I'd say the fault is FCA, not JD Power.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, JD Power separates product quality (IQS, VDS), from the purchase experience (SSI) and the service experience (CSI). It is consumers who cannot completely separate all three in their heads. But if they coexist in consumers heads then that is the business reality, and it is up to the automakers to deal with reality.

Still, we know that product quality has the greatest single influence on brand reputation, on product demand and on customer retention, followed by customer service.

The purchase experience has the least impact. Customers normally deal with a negative purchase experience by buying from another salesperson or another dealership the next time.

4. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

That was my experience as well during the short tenure I owned a Toyota.

We only have one CDJR and one Toyota dealer in town. They are across from each other. The Toyota dealer is the largest, the CDJR dealer is the second largest, selling half as many units in one month —mostly full-size Rams; this is truck country.

The Toyota dealer showed a higher degree of professionalism throughout. Not just by the salespeople, but the sales manager, business manager and the service staff I interacted with. The Toyota facility looked much cleaner, better kept, more modern and felt open and comfortable. The CDJR dealer has that giant arch in the front, typical of FCA dealerships, but once you step inside it looks grimy and feels dark; the inventory lot is crammed with vehicles, and the service bay looks crowded and greasy.

My local CDJR dealer is only 1.5 miles from home but I don’t even go there; they suck. Instead, I drive 30 miles to the dealer in the next town; they also handle Fiat. The overall aesthetics are similar: dark, outdated, cramped and grimy. But so far they have treated me decent.

#24 aldo90731, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    1999 White C5 Coupe likes this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As I already wrote in the past, J.D. Powers use the public released charts as a marketing tool, while at same time also sells consulting services to automotive manufacturers on how to improve brand perception, perceived quality, ... That is not something ethically right in the way to do business.
    I understand very well the aptitude of Tesla.

T_690 likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But as I’ve asked multiple times: how does what JD Power does help other manufacturers and penalize FCA?

page2171 likes this.