Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 300 wins another award, stays relevant in the news

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by randy1911, Nov 17, 2017.

1. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Chrysler makes ‘most wanted’ list
    by Chris Vander Doelen on November 17, 2017 at 11:36 am EST

Edmunds, the automotive information company, has included the Chrysler 300 on its list of the 17 Most Wanted vehicles for 2018 in its segment.

The 300 was the only FCA product on the list, while Honda and Mercedes had four each. The winners of the annual Edmunds Buyers Most Wanted Awards are based mostly on sales figures within each segment, selling speed, and shopper interest.

[​IMG]

2018 Chrysler 300S, image courtesy of FCA

Jessica Caldwell, executive director of industy analysis for Edmunds, cited the 300s “bold and aggressive” styling as the main reason for buyers putting it ahead of competing vehicles. “The Chrysler 300 stands out in a class of largely look-alike sedans, and its originality makes it one of the most popular large cars on the market.”

The consumer data analyzed to determine the winners was from the first nine months of 2017. The FCA acknowledgement of the award is here. The full list of the 16 other Most Wanted winners is here.

Chris Vander Doelen was Opinion Editor and columnist of The Windsor Star until December, 2016; He was the Star's automotive reporter and columnist for seven years, and had also covered the political and gambling beats. With his wife, Veronique Mandal, he wrote the book Chasing Lightning (1999). Chris won a National Newspaper Award in 1997 and more than a dozen provincial news awards. There is a Chrysler 300 in his driveway.

XRT2SRT, GasAxe, Hemidakota and 2 others like this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Wow, it says something when a 13 year old platform finishes ahead of the company's minivan. Sounds like the 300 is still very relevant.

3. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I'm waiting for someone from the FCA team to tell me again why is it not being updated in 2021. Secondly why can't we have an SRT in America..., FCA needs to reevaluate its fact finding and trends Because awards like this reinforce my point. The only reason FCA does not allow the 300 to prosper along with not producing an SRT is due to Maserati. By giving the 300 the proper TLC it needs or half the TLC it gives the charger, the 300 would be better, faster, cheaper to maintain and sell in more numbers than the ghibli. FCA will say different but the article speaks heavy to the demand of FCA vehicles. I just wish someone at FCA realize the value in the 300 name and character.

4. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

Listen up FCA! You've got a good thing going here; don't blow it. Keep the 300 sedan in production with a 2021 redesign. If you build it they will come.

GasAxe, UN4GTBL, somber and 2 others like this.
  5. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Next gen is currently under review.

6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

... no soup for you!

7. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

What needs to be reviewed, again? The car is well built, popular with the public and press alike and sells 50,000, units a year on a 12 year old platform that is long since paid for? This is just more poor decision making from FCA, and another nail in the coffin of the Chrysler brand. There is quite obviously a desire for a vehicle of this type and Chrysler has the means to provide the product, so why the review? It competes very successfully in its own segment and is only outsold by Charger, mostly due to more advertising, selection and updated styling by the Dodge version. If the same were applied to Chrysler, It might outsell the Charger like it used to! Or is that the real problem, that the board has made poor choices regarding Chrysler brand and can't or won't man up to their mistake, preferring to let the brand languish rather than fix their wrong thinking about it?

8. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The SRT factor has been discussed ad nauseum. This article does not change the facts.

9. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Stop trying to spread conspiracy theories. The reasons for the end of the SRT 300 are well documented.

In addition the reasons for the 300 review are also well documented.

10. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I already said the SRT ending is a minor blip on the radar but my post was magically deleted lol

11. oh2o

Level III Supporter

"Review" as to what direction to go with the next generation. At one point there was discussion to end the LX after the 2019 model year. Latest plans call for the current gen LX to continue through the 2021 model year.

UN4GTBL, Deckard_Cain, jimboy and 2 others like this.
  12. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

OK, so either something has just changed or I am confused. I thought the current plan was to stop LX after the 2020 model year with 2021 being the redesign for Charger and hopefully the 300. Are you saying that the current Charger and 300 will continue to be built on current architecture for 2019, 2020, and 2021 model years with the redesign coming in 2022?

Hopefully when you say the 300 is under review that means that the decision to drop the 300 when the LX is dropped and the redesign comes is not carved in stone. Maybe FCA can be persuaded to continue building a fine sedan at the top of its class that brings an admirable image to Chrysler.

Donte Lindsey and randy1911 like this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

At this point, heavily revised LX may continue for Charger/Challenger/300 past 2021 and may not move to Giorgio for a while.

We have been hearing about "plans" for years, but until everything is locked into place, nothing is certain with this company.

In my view, product planning by FCA has mostly been a short-term reaction to the market rather than a long-term strategy for each brand.

GasAxe, duster92, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It is getting long-in-the-tooth and is a holdover from the Daimler days. The refreshes have worked well to keep it relevant and sales very good, but I'm sure that FCA would like their own non-Daimler era architecture.
    Weight-savings, Fiat-think and about 15 years of technological and safety updates would bring a completely new large car into the 2020's.
    In the past, seeing which way large car sales would go along with government CO2 emission and fuel economy standards has probably kept any new development 'cautious' and delayed. Trucks may have been considered more important and taken the lions-share of financial and engineering resources. They haven't exactly let it die-on-the-vine, but I agree that the time for a brand new large car is upon them.
    It is still a fairly safe car and the MDS/8-speed has returned outstanding fuel economy in its class.
    It still has some baby-Bentley looks like the original and keeps a European look while being decidedly American. I hope that the new one can keep the formal sedan looks, maybe go a bit retro (possibly some Exner/Ghia themes, but please not like Lincoln) and steal some critical thunder again.

XRT2SRT, Devildodge, djsamuel and 6 others like this.
  15. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

What he said.
    And i’d spend the money on improving the ride, then interior upgrade. They’ve always looked good but come up with some colors other than all the grays.

16. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

I hope they bring something hybrid from Fiat/Maserati/Ferrari. A Sportback design is very attractive, something sporty and luxury such as Porsche Panamera and Audi A7 will make the 300 very successful vehicle.

Barry Ian Moore likes this.
  17. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

This award is testament of the amazing, thorough work the Chrysler team of researchers, planners, designers and engineers did 17 years ago.

#17 aldo90731, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree. 300 is being held back by some ridiculous mantra that makes sense to top management and nobody else.

I am waiting for a Chrysler 300 392 AWD. That’d be so badass...

19. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

One point discussion 2019.
    Latest plan 2021
    Under review plan could be later ?
    By stating LX are you including Charger/Challenger ?

I ask so we don't have a thread full of chicken littles.

20. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I already said the SRT ending is a minor blip on the radar but my post was magically deleted lol
    My point is this, and I will stay on topic so this thread does not get shut down,

The 300 is Chrysler best selling vehicle with Chrysler.
    The 300 continues to win awards as stated in this thread yet with little to no support from Financial suppot from FCA
    The 300 has gotten no and I mean no kind of backing that the Charger and the Challanger receives, with engines options and packages yet still won this award.
    The 300 crowd has begged for a update or a plan for an update, just give it some love by marketing or options.
    The 300 haters tend to be the same higher ups that has never owned a 300 or cared about a 300 and therefore the future is still up in the air.

Why is the future unclear we all know that the Charger and Challanger future is set for a redesign in 20/21 but why does the 300 have to be discussed. Thats the question. FCA just one an award with the only vehicle in their arsenal being the 300 winning over all the entire FCA portfolio.
    If this does not prompt FCA to green light the redesign and all things related to the 300 then YES it is a conspiracy with some other issues.
    If a car stays in demand that backed by minimal dollars/ no dollars when you compare it to the portfolio, yet still maintains a steady 2nd place in its category only behind the charger which gets tons of support but the 300 not slipping one bit, its illogical to end it in 5 years let alone 3. Business wise there should be nothing to be discussed. But FCA will say this award thats in the news does not mean much or does not relate to sales when it does and sales have been steady with no support.

What if, lets just say what if they gave the 300 the love and care of the Charger no forget the charger give the the love and care of the Jeep Grand Cherokee same class as the 300, top of its brand but one is a car the other is a suv. Give the 300 the backing of JGC and see it sales go through the roof.