Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 300 wins another award, stays relevant in the news

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by randy1911, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

And you are incorrect about killing the Chrysler brand.

Mike

2. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Agreed... maybe another vehicle that has a better chance at the changing demographics of the American car buyer will be built instead.

Does it stink that the 300 could go away for an altogether different vehicle? Yes, but the reality is, that’s business. FCA is not in the business of catering to enthusiasts only.

It’s time to let the emotion go, the 300 is still around and decisions on its future are still being deliberated.

Mike

DAGAR likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Then what is the purpose of the Dodge brand?

randy1911 likes this.
  4. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Dodge does not cater to enthusiast only. If they did they would not make Challenger, Charger, and Durango SXT models.

Dodge sells performance oriented vehicles for consumers and customers, as noted many times here on Allpar.

There are many discussions involving Bob and Stratuscaster and other insiders that discuss the topic of consumers vs customers and how catering to enthusiasts alone does not pay the bills. I believe you have participated in those previous discussions.

Mike

#84 Mike V., Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    BASONE88, GasAxe and DAGAR like this.
  5. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

So hopefully the consumers you attract will more than offset the enthusiasts you lose. It used to be that brand loyalty was something cultivated and thought of as a thing of value. Apparently no more? Generally, how does FCA do when it comes to conquest sales anyway? I always was under the impression that MOPAR owners were the loyal repeat buyers that kept Chrysler/Dodge etc. going even in the face of dismal quality reputations and when Chrysler/ Dodge wouldn' even be considered by Ford & GM owners.

wvutuba, Erik Latranyi and aldo90731 like this.
  6. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

There are plenty of Chrysler customers that do not purchase the 300, they purchase the Pacifica for instance. Further, a significant portion will move to the Charger if they want a full size car, while others may move to the new crossovers.

Assuming that every 300 buyer currently is an enthusiast is simply not accurate.

Maybe best to ask some of the conquest buyers who have bought Ram’s, Jeep’s, Pacifica’s, and Challenger’s that question.

Maybe that’s not an accurate impression.

Mike

7. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

BASONE88 likes this.
  8. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Dodge is a performance brand... that has a broader appeal to more than just enthusiasts. Of the 5 Camaro drivers at my work, none know squat about their cars other than to say "I drive a sports car." Extra funny since all are v6 models. They were attracted by the halo of the high performance Camaros, but enthusiasts they are not! :rolleyes:

danbek, freshforged, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

FCA has some of the highest conquest sales rates in the industry. Unfortunately they have a lower loyalty rate to go with that. :oops:

10. Terrymc1

Terrymc1 Active Member

Oh - thanks for answering my question. I wish the answer was different however. I don't like what that implies.

11. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Yeah, sometimes that perceived quality thing is an issue. (Like when dealers are being stubborn/asinine sometimes; but I won't go into that rant, again. lol)

GasAxe, Zagnut27 and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Ok, head on down to your local Chrysler dealer and buy a 2018 Chrysler 300 S, in indigo blue, and add scat pack stage 1 and 2.

Exactly what you are asking for is available now.

Mike

13. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Or even a gear swap for that 3.91 they used.

14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Don’t need it with the 8 speed.

Mike

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

A bit different direction to this discussion. It wasn't that long ago that the engineering department was stripped and finally hiring was started. Emphasis was placed on JEEP & RAM (200 & DART are gone) which had to take up a lot of engineering time. TO THE INSIDERS: Have the new hires matured enough to spread out to broader model updates without delaying the two cores?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

So I missed which scat pack has the 3.91:1 final drive ratio and four heated, bolstered, perforated leather covered driver and passenger 12-way power sports seats? and I'd prefer it that way from the factory :D

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

A manufacturer with a well-defined brand identity...such as Jeep & Dodge do cater to enthusiasts. They offer the high-end performance models and options that the enthusiasts want. This works if you bring in huge margins on your vehicles and can live on them alone. However, since Dodge and Jeep cannot charge exorbitant prices, they also offer models and options that are attractive to other consumers as well, as stated above. Jeep had models such as Jeepster and the Surrey Gala (amongst others through the years) to cater to those who wanted the Jeep image, but a more livable vehicle. Today, they have Renegade, Compass, Cherokee, & Grand Cherokee to offer to those who want the image, but don't want to live with a Wrangler. Dodge has the V6 versions of Challenger, and Charger...even Durango. These options open the brands to a more robust customer/consumer base. Because the high performance options are offered, brand identity is maintained.

18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Considering the ever increasing pace of change in the automotive industry......it might be a good idea to simply take a long deep breath......and consider what a spectacular run the LX has had (all versions)......in more or less the same form apart from incremental change here and there.

Every unit of the LX that's turned out now is pure profit since amortization took place so long ago. If I were running FCA......I don't think I would be too eager to pull the plug on products that still perform well in their segments....AND make a profit DESPITE throwing some cash on the hoods.

The days of Ford squeezing 31 years out of the Panther platform are gone for good.....but the LX's have done (and are doing) quite nicely.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That could very well be. But loyalty to Mopar implies "enthusiast", and enthusiasts only represent 10% of the total market, shared by all automakers, across all segments.

That's why quality is so important. Everyone wants quality: enthusiasts, Consumer Reports subscribers, techies, men, women, young, old, Canadians, Americans and Mexicans. And because of this, quality can sustain loyalty in much greater numbers. Just look at Toyota and Honda.

20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I would say Chevrolet has a broader appeal to more than just enthusiasts, because those five Camaro drivers bought a Chevrolet for other reasons, despite not being enthusiasts.

The proof is in the pudding: Dodge has a 3.5% market share; Chevrolet has a 10% market share -> Chevrolet has a broader appeal.

Yes. And the two go hand-in-hand, unfortunately. Otherwise, no retention + no conquest would = the end of FCA.

In its simplest form TOTAL SALES = RETENTION + CONQUESTS

Both parts of the equation are needed, and each has its pros and cons: retention is more cost efficient, brings profits, and provides a baseline to sales that gives stability to be business over economic cycles; conquest helps to grow and brings renewed lifeblood to the business.

The part that management doesn't get is, for all its zeal on margins and profits, a strategy that relies on conquest to exist is significantly more expensive (and less profitable) than one that relies on retention. The weaker retention becomes, the more sales need to depend on conquests, and the more expensive the business model becomes.

It is for this reason that, in my assessment, current management looks at manufacturing efficiencies, but ignores marketing and sales efficiencies.

#100 aldo90731, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017