Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

From what I can find in my researching, this is the first appearance of the K&K Insurance Dodge in Nascar at the 1966 Daytona 500. It was not driven by Bobby Isaac but rather by Indy Car driver Gordon Johncock.

Gordon Johncock in K&K Dodge @ Daytona '66.jpg

Johncock lost a motor and DNF'd.

DC-93 likes this.
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Found this old snapshot of Dave Marcis in a drawer................don't know where or when it was taken. Dave Marcis#30.jpg
    See K & K truck in the background. Don't know if I put this one out there before.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Found some more photos of the Kiekhaefer Chrysler 300 Nascar racing team that just went up on Pinterest. Before Buck Baker won the 1956 championship for Kiekhaefer, Tim Flock won the 1955 championship.

Tim Flock advertising 1955 championship.jpg
    (Yes, I know that the championship banner is on a '56 Chrysler, not a '55)

Here is a shot of Tim Flock in action on the old Daytona beach course in 1955....
    Tim Flock on Daytona beach course.jpg

on his way to the championship............

Tim Flock standing next to '55 Chrysler 300.jpg

Here is a photo of the Kiekhaefer engine shop circa 1956 full of Gen I Hemis being worked on;

Kiekhaefer engine shop circa 1956.jpg

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I know we have some Buddy Arrington fans on this board. Here is the earliest photo that I could find of him in the #67 car (shared from Pinterest) - a '64 Dodge that he raced in 1965, mostly on short tracks though he did get a 10th racing @ Atlanta that year. His best finish was a 3rd @ Nashville.

Buddy Arrington in '64 Dodge.jpg

And here is a news article (source unknown) reporting on the Dodge Magnum that he drove to a 3rd place finish @ the 1979 Talladega Spring race. The ex-Petty Magnum finished one spot ahead of the Oldsmobile that Petty had switched to after abandoning Mopars.

Buddy Arrington in Dodge Magnum @ 'Dega '79.jpg

Devildodge likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Unidentified Mopar flying past the main grandstand and race control tower @ Riverside Raceway in 1967. By the dark color, it looks like it might be one of the Friedken Plymouths (Jerry Grant or Jim Paschal) but I can't make out the car # for a positive ID.

Riverside Raceway control tower.jpg

The control tower has an interesting history. It was originally the control tower at LAX. When the airport replaced it with a more modern facility, Riverside Raceway management bought it for the grand total of $1.-, plus hauling away. It was placed as shown @ the track SF line behind the main grandstand. By 1970, the track had built a new main grandstand with race control facilities attached behind. The tower was then moved down to the "esses" where it was still used to monitor track action in that part of the track which still had some direct viewing blind spots from the main race control. The tower was there till the track closed circa 1988.

(photo shared from Pinterest)

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Some shots (shared from Facebook) from the 1968 "Motor Trend 500" race @ Riverside;

Richard Petty brought out his '67 Belvedere and qualified 4th with it. He ended up 10th after losing a motor late in the race.

Petty @ Riverside, 1968.jpg

After finishing 3rd and 4th the year before, neither Norm Nelson or Don White had good finishes in '68. Here they are racing through Riverside's "esses" in the first half of the race. I can't see a number on the '67 white Charger behind them - it could be either Al Unser (who finished 6th) or Buddy Baker in the Cotton Owens Dodge. Both were there in white '67 Chargers.

Nelson & Don White @ Riverside, 1968.jpg

One of the problems that Don White had during the race...............

Don White spilling gas @ Riverside, 1968.jpg

He finally retired at the halfway point after losing his brakes with a 19th place finish.

Unfortunately, the race ended up a 1 - 5 Ford sweep.

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Paul Goldsmith - 1964 Daytona 500 pole winner:
    1964 Paul Goldsmiht Daytona pole winner.jpg

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Finished 3rd in the race (behind the Plymouths of Petty and Pardue) but, IIRC, he had to make an extra pit stop due to trash in the grille. Lots of articles (and a video) in the "Swoop of a Secret Weapon" thread.

DC-93 likes this.
  10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I don't know how many of you all are familiar with California's Laguna Seca Raceway (now called Mazda Raceway). It is considered one of the historic crown jewels of American sports car racing tracks. Back in the early 1970s it was being debated whether or not the track could accommodate full sized Nascar stock cars and what kind of show they would put on. In August 1973 the Nascar Winston West series decided to stage a race at the track - 150 miles (79 laps) and the naming rights sponsor was Tuborg beer. Bill France Jr flew out to attend the race. The race paid $19,900 to win which was more than twice what a W. West race usually paid and about as much as winning @ Riverside paid in those days. I wasn't going to miss this and drove the 350 miles north even though it was the first "energy crisis" and I had to search for open gas stations on the route. Here are a couple of photos (shared from Pinterest) of action in Laguna Seca's famous "corkscrew" with some of the West Coast's top Mopar racers at that time. I ended up spectating from the hilltop just under the tree in the upper right of these shots, along with all the picknickers who had their blankets spread out on the hillside.

In this shot, Hershel McGriff's #04 Plymouth is leading a group of cars. Hershel was on the pole (by over 2 seconds) & led 31 of the race's 79 laps. Behind him is the #02 Charger of Dick Bown.

Hershel McGriff leading @ Laguna Seca , Aug, 1973.jpg

Here is a photo of Jack McCoy in his #7 Dodge Charger which led 13 laps.

Jack McCoy leading @ Laguna Seca, Aug 1973.jpg

Behind Jack is Dick Bown in the #02. Dick didn't lead but his son, Chuck, led for 21 laps in an identical Dodge Charger. The race was won by Sonny Easley in a Ford who only led the final 6 laps but made one less pit stop than Hershel did. Jack McCoy finished 2nd. Sonny Easley was killed a few years later @ Riverside. The race was considered a partial success and was run again the following year but with a smaller crowd in attendance and the idea was abandoned.

#790 Beentherebefore, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    DC-93 likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I bet the 04 is an ex Petty ride...

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes it is. I was just readaing in Jack McCoy's book that that particular car was bought from Petty at the end of the '72 season @ the Texas race (McGriff finished 5th in it) and the McGriff raced it @ Daytona in '73 (another 5th). Then he brought it west. This is not the ex-Hamilton winged car then (which is what I originally had thought - too long ago to remember all the details any more). That car I now believe died an ignominious death as a minor league short track race car. There are some photos on a West Coast Nascar Pinterest site that shows the car and says ex-Petty-McGriff car but gives different names for the owner/driver so I don't want to post anything official. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you what I have found on Pinterest.

DC-93 likes this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A shot (shared from Pinterest) of the Vic Elford driven '69 Dodge Coronet of Harry Ranier @ Daytona in 1969. Vic Elford was a pretty famous British sports car racer who wanted to try his hand at Nascar racing. He drove this car to an 11th place finish in the 1969 Daytona 500. Ranier entered another Coronet in the race and it finished 9th with Andy Hampton driving. The two Ranier cars book-ended Ray Elder who finished 10th with his Dodge Charger.

Vic Elford @ Daytona in Ranier car 1969.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Picture from 1960 Martinsville race:
    1960 Martinsville race.jpg

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It was Petty's first Martinsville win. His wins at that track would eventually total 15!

Here is another shot (shared from Pinterest) of Petty's finned car in action @ M'ville in 1960.

Petty's first M'ville win - 1960.jpg

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

In the late 50s and early 60s, Nascar had a late model convertible series. Here is a shot (shared from Pinterest) of Richard Petty's '62 Plymouth convertible in a race. IIRC, 1962 was the last year that Nascar ran it's convertible series.

Richard Petty's '62 convertible racing.jpg

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of what my research found was Don White's first attempt at a Daytona race - the 1966 Daytona 500 in a Nichels car. He didn't have a great race as he finished 27th after dropping out with ignition failure. He came back for the July Daytona race in a Nichels Dodge Charger and finished much better - 6th.

Don White @ Daytona 1966.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Great shot (offered on e-Bay) of the Penske Matador driven by Mark Donohue and the Cotton Owens Charger being driven by Charlie Glotzbach at what I believe is Daytona in 1972. Seller mistakenly identified the photo as being from 1971 but Penske did not start with the AMC Matador Nascar program till 1972. If it is from Daytona in 1972, Glotzbach finished 2nd (to AJ Foyt) while the Matador finished 35th after losing a motor.

Donohue & Glotzbach @ Daytona 1972.jpg

Nevertheless, a cool photo.

DC-93 likes this.
  19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Picture of the last Stacy team Dodge (shared from Pinterest), driven by Neil Bonnett, just before the team switched to racing GM products. A damn good looking car, imo, even though the team thought that it was no longer competitive.

Neil Bonnett Magnum.jpg

DC-93 likes this.