Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I was a 13 year old kid when these ads for the 1956 Dodge D-500 package came out and they sure got my attention and helped to make me a Mopar fan. IIRC, the D-500 was a Hemi HP package that the ad says could be added to any Dodge model. The specs in the ad only talk about a 260hp "Aircraft type V-8" as "Hemi" was not yet a common term for the motor. What really got my attention back in those days was the ad referring to "the car that whipped all other cars in acceleration at Daytona Beach and is racking up victory after victory on tracks all over the country"

Dodge D-500 ad I.jpg

Another '56 D-500 ad, this one placed in "Motor Trend". I don't know about calling it a "Bomb" :eek: but I did like "these days more and more of you guys who know and love cars are 'talking up' the fabulous Dodge D-500 and no wonder" ........."In official Nascar acceleration tests at Daytona Beach, the Dodge D-500 licked all cars - regardless of size, price, or horsepower".

Dodge D-500 ad II.jpg

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Some more photos from early Riverside, CA road races which just popped up on Pinterest to share;

This one is of USAC rookie sensation Billy Foster in the Rudy Hoerr '64 Dodge during practice for the 1966 race. Foster had never raced on this track before but still managed to pull out a remarkable 7th place finish. A year later the team came back with a '67 Charger, practiced well, and qualified 9th. Unfortunately Foster died in a crash at the end of Riverside's long, long back straight after his brakes failed during final practice. (More on that story on P6 of the USAC thread).

Billy Foster in Riverside pits '66.jpg

This photo from the '67 race shows Richard Petty passing West Coast racer Frank Burnett in an ex-Petty car that he had bought. When I first saw this car it was still painted Petty-blue and all he did was put a "1" in front of the "43". Neither had a great race. Burnett finished 30th and Petty finished 21st after losing his radiator, probably after one of his (many in those days) off-track excursions.

Petty & Burnett @ Riverside '67.jpg

Great shot of Paul Goldsmith in a Ray Nichels Plymouth in the '67 race. Goldsmith finished 2nd to Parnelli Jones (who knew this track like the back of his hand).

Goldsmith @ Riverside '67.jpg

3. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Another re-skin dating back to a 1969 chassis. Note how the main hoop is inboard by the B pillar?
    No wonder it wasn't competitive!

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Still looks quite a bit "slicker" than a stock Magnum (and more attractive, imo).

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A couple of photos (shared from Pinterest) of Paul Lewis, a not-so-well-known Mopar driver who had some success running in Nascar (also in USAC and, iirc, ARCA) in the mid 60s. He won one Nascar GN (Cup) race - the "Smokey Mountain 200" on the 1/2 mile dirt track @ Marysville, Tenn. on 7-28-66. Among others, he beat David Pearson (who finished 2nd in the Cotton Owens Dodge), Bobby Allison (who finished 5th), and Richard Petty (dnf). Lewis had eight other top 5's during the '66 Nascar GN season.

Here he is in a publicity photo under the sign for Bristol Motor Speedway. Lewis finished 2nd in the Nascar GN race there in 1966.

Paul Lewis @ Bristol.jpg

I don't know what track this is but here is another photo of Lewis' car. It must be from 1967 because he is pitting right behind Petty's GTX.

Paul Lewis car 1967.jpg

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of Richard Petty's '65 Plymouth @ Asheville-Weaverville (1/2 mile paved) speedway a few weeks after Nascar relented and rescinded it's ban on the Mopar 426 Hemis in the summer of 1965. Note that the car had not yet netted a sponsor and there are virtually no decals on the car. Petty went on to win the race. Also of interest is the partially visible hood of the Cotton Owens '65 Dodge which was being driven by David Pearson. Notice that the hood engine callout says "Hemi Powered" rather than the usual 426 designation. Cotton Owens rubbing Nascar's reversal of the Hemi ban in??

Petty's unsponsored '65 Plym @ Asheville.jpg

Pearson lost an axle in the race and dnf'd but a few weeks later he won a race @ Columbia, S.C. (1/2 mile dirt track).

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Ad for sale on e-Bay featuring Andy Granatelli's Paxton supercharged '60 Chrysler 300F which set a "flying mile" speed record of over 179mph in Nascar's measured distance speed trials. The ad states that the car was also his daily driver and had full power equipment so it wasn't stripped down for the event. I believe that 1960 was the last year that Nascar conducted this event and, IIRC, Chrysler 300s took the top 6 spots.

Granatelli's 300F @ Daytona speed trials.jpg

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

More early Chrysler 300 stuff..........this looks like a news report but it is actually an ad from an unknown (to me) Chrysler dealer touting the victories for Chrysler 300s in 1955. IIRC, the Speed Trials mentioned were supported by Chrysler engineering staff and were considered more prestigious than the actual Nascar races which were dominated by the Keikhaeffer team. I think that the Brewster Shaw mentioned was the owner of San Juan Motors whose logo appears on a lot of the Chrysler 300 photos from that era. Also of interest is the mention of a separate women's division of the National Speed Trial Championship won by Mrs Vicki Wood (take that Danica ;)) in a Chrysler 300.

1955 Chrysler 300 dealer ad.jpg

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of the Chrysler 300 driven by Lee Petty which finished 2nd at the Nascar Daytona beach race that year and is mentioned in the ad.

Lee Petty in Chrylser 300 '55 Daytona beach race.jpg

Half of a full page Champion Spark Plug ad showing the start of the beach race with winner Tim Flock on the pole and Lee Petty on the outside - both part of the Keikhaeffer Chrysler 300 racing team.

Champion Spark plug ad featuring 1955 Chrysler 300s.jpg

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I used to read these at our local C/P dealership (a friend owned it at the time). This issue is from 1967. Notice all the motorsports articles on the front page - this one features the '67 Darlington Spring race (400 miles) which was won by Richard Petty.

Chrysler-Plym Times issue from 1967.jpg

Petty also won the "Southern 500" mile race @ Darlington later that year. GC Spencer finished 3rd in another Petty Enterprises Plymouth.

10. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I have a "Wonder Worker" sweat shirt like the guy on the upper left photo is putting on.

Racing wins puts a smile on the folks that work there.
    Great Quality puts a smile on the folks that buy your products...

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Why not do both? Many other major auto companies do. Chrysler did it in the mid 60s and it put extra wide smiles on their customers' faces.

12. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Takes more money now than they have to do both, IMO.

Here's a puzzler- Toyota was gaining market share since the 1950s until they began racing in Nascar. Now their growth stalled out. (which to me is a great thing) But the question is why did it stall out???

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I ain't buying that. Other auto companies that make way less than FCA still manage to keep their quality up while supporting motorsports programs - Mazda is one that comes to mind, Hyundai/Kia is another.

That was discussed recently in a a WSJ article. Toyota has been emphasizing passenger car type vehicles instead of trucks and SUVs. Their Camry has been the best selling passenger car in the US for about 15 years (and still is) and the RAV4 is right up near the top of SUVs (outsells any Jeep model). But Toyota has had slim pickings when it comes to large sized SUVs. According to the WSJ article, that is about to change. I don't think that racing in Nascar had anything to do with their growth one way or another. Toyota has been racing in other series since the 70s. One of my co-workers bought a Celica back in the 70s because he went to sports car races and saw them running competitively there. What their participation in Nascar has brought them (according to a recent interview with company officials) is acceptance as a participating brand in US Motorsports. That very topic was discussed recently in a Bloomberg article. I don't know if you can access it but you can infer just from reading the link title;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...used-nascar-to-sway-loyal-american-car-buyers

#813 Beentherebefore, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  14. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Personally, I'll NEVER accept Toyota, or Honda or Nissan, etc. if they race or not in any US motorsports.

I do know folks that left Nascar when Toyota started racing, though. Maybe that's part of Nascars plummeting attendance problem?

GaryS likes this.
  15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

1967 Champion spark plug ad after Richard Petty won the Southern 500 @ Darlington that year.

GC Spencer finished 3rd in another Petty Plymouth and Mopars also finished 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Champion Spark plug ad - Petty wins Darlington 1967.jpg

16. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

If you cant accept Toyota or Nissan you cannot accept Dodge for the same reasons.

17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

And what are the reasons?

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of two of the Mopars that dominated the Nascar Winston West series in the late 60s and early 70s - 2X Winston West Champion Jack McCoy in the #7 and Hershel McGriff in the #04. The #04 was bought from the Pettys and is actually the former #40 winged Mopar that Pete Hamilton drove to victory in the 1970 Daytona 500.

McCoy & McGriff in W. West action.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Ad for the 1966 Plymouth Belvedere with the 426 "Street Hemi" motor. This was the package that forced Ol' man France to concede that the Mopar Hemi was indeed a production motor installed on an assembly line for streetable vehicles and justified his allowing Hemi Mopars to re-enter competition in the Nascar Cup series. As a sop to Ford (which was threatening to pull support of it's Nascar teams if the Hemi was again allowed to race in the "B" bodied Mopars), the Nascar version of the motor was limited to 404 c.i.

Street Hemi ad - 1966.jpg

20. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Dodge has had and continues to have high powered V-8 engines in their cars. Tokeeota and Snotsun never have. Is that an anti-reason?