Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 30, 2013.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

I have photos of the 1971 Charger being built by the Elders, on a jig, with Chrysler Engineer Larry Rathgeb helping out. Now, if I can only find them. I'll post them if-when I do..

A fresh built 1971 Charger is a wider car than the previous 66-70 chassis. All the floorpans, the main hoop, drive tunnel, engine bay bars, etc. all are different. Those are the details that jump out when someone familiar with Nichels, Petty or homebuilt cars will see.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Now that you mention it, I (very) vaguely remember something about Rathgeb helping them somewhere along the line. I do remember Richard telling me that after their big win @ Riverside, they suddenly found it much easier to get through to the top guys @ Dodge for some technical help. Did that chassis start out with Nichels? I'd be real interested in seeing whatever you can dig up.

#842 Beentherebefore, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Since NASCAR is at Talladega this week here is a picture of Pete Hamilton who won both Talladega races in 1970.
    1970 Pete Hamilton Talladega.jpg

DC-93 and Beentherebefore like this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Photo (shared from Pinterest) of a rare occurrence - two K&K Insurance sponsored cars in the same race - the 1974 "National 500" @ Charlotte. The #71 was being driven by Dave Marcis and the #17 by Bobby Isaac in his last drive for owner, Nord Krauskoph.

K&K Ins 2 Dodges @ Charlotte 1974.jpg

Krauskoph had cut back from running almost the full Nascar schedule to only 6 races in 1974 - 3 with Buddy Baker, 2 with Dave Marcis and one with Ray Hendrick. He had had ongoing disagreements with Nascar over the restricting and then banning of the Mopar Hemis. In 1975, his team returned to running the full schedule again with Dave Marcis as driver. Marcis won the Fall Martinsville race in the #71. In 1976, the team again ran the full schedule and Marcis won @ Richmond, Atlanta, and Talladega. In 1977, Krauskoph ran his Dodges for the first half of the season with Neil Bonnett as his driver and then sold his operation to Jim Stacey.

DC-93 likes this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Some more photos of the K&K team (shared from Pinterest);

Race cars in various stages of build in the shop..........

K&K Ins race shop.jpg

Crew Chief Harry Hyde reviewing his collection of race Hemis..................

K&K Ins Harry Hyde & Hemis.jpg

Here is an interesting photo of what looks like a K&K Ins C-bodied race car. I don't know if they ever really raced one of these or if this is just somebody's tribute paint job on their C-body street car. Anybody know? Fast Eddie?

K&K Ins C-body.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For our friends north of the border...................In the late 60s and early 70s you could see Nascar Cup class race cars in action at tracks in B.C.

Canadian ad for W. West races.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Here is a link to the legal bickering that took place over the assets being divided.
    Note: K&K Salt Flat car had rusted out to a "pile of parts" and was restored by Robert Gee prior to being donated to Nascar for a tax write off.

KRAUSKOPF v. COMMISSIONER | 48 T.C.M. 620 (1984) | vtcm6201517 | Leagle.com (at https://www.leagle.com/decision/198466848evtcm6201517 )

The car in the Museum today IS the chassis that ran on the salt. Just wonder how much of it is original...
    Skip the mumbo jumbo and read the good stuff!

Beentherebefore likes this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Man, reading that was like attending a law school class! Actually, whoever wrote up the part about the rules & payouts in Nascar did a more thorough job than some writers do in some of the motorsports articles that I have read.

Here's the part that I liked the best.....Chrysler Corporation contributed the parts to build the Dodge Chargers owned by K & K :D.

There was a whole shop full of K&K Dodges at one time. What happened to the rest of them?......all sold to Stacey?

#848 Beentherebefore, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    DC-93 likes this.
  9. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

As in Chrysler bankrolled Nichels Engineering, who in turn built the K&K cars. ALL of them until the Petty's got the Chrysler contract starting in 1971. Most got reskinned, a few sold off.

Legal documents have to be accurate and well researched! No guess work! Not out to sell magazines! lol...

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'm just surprised that whoever it was that represented the IRS "Commissioner" went into all that detail about the car models being raced, Hemis being restricted and then banned, and then K&K cutting back on their Nascar participation. They had already conceded that the car was more than 3 years old and not allowed (by age) to race in the Nascar Cup series anymore. I guess they were trying to diminish the stated value of the deduction claim. Too bad the case wasn't tried a few years later. Krauskoph could probably have made a legitimate claim of $100,000+ for the value of the donation ;).

Got any information on the K&K C-body I posted in #845?

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The car which is the subject of the lawsuit on it's way to (or way back from) the Bonneville Salt Flats;

K&K Ins team @ Bonneville.jpg

Photo shared from Pinterest

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  12. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

On the way to the Flats. Car is clean! After, every square inch was salt covered, inside and out. That salt dust permeates everywhere! =(
    The "C" body is a street car. Small hubs on it. Also, 1971 (and later) style numbers on it!

Beentherebefore likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Here's one of the ex K&K short track cars that were sold to a guy in Ky. Ken Reiter, I believe.
    Word DODGE on tail panel is exactly the same as when K&K owned it.

In 1970 all of Isaac's wins were on short tracks, using 69 Charger 500s and the 1970 tunnelback Charger.

ex-K&K dodge charger 500.jpg

Beentherebefore and Fast Eddie like this.
  14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

1973 Petty Dodge at Richmond Fairgrounds.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

1975 Riverside race
    1975 Petty Dodge at Riverside.jpg

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Didn't he win @ Texas with a winged car? I'm remembering some of the W. West drivers (Elder, McCoy) towed that far to participate. IIRC, Dodge featured that win in an ad which I believe I posted somewhere on the other Nascar thread.

#856 Beentherebefore, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Isaac won Texas in '69. For being so heavily associated with the #71 Daytona, he only won once in a winged car.
    His best win year was 1969 and all but one win was in the much maligned Charger 500 on short tracks!

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I just looked it up and you are correct - it was 1969 so the Dodge ad featuring the winged #71 must have been from '69 then. Good thing Isaac won it or it would have been a 1 - 2 Ford sweep. At the end, he was 2 laps ahead of the 2nd place Ford though. Fourth through 9th were all Mopars (Hylton, Brooks, Elder, McCoy, Baker, and Marcis). Jack McCoy talks in his book about that race being the first time he got to try out the winged Daytona package on a major speedway and he was scared s#*+less because it ran so fast. He asked to have Bobby Allison help set the car up for him.

#858 Beentherebefore, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  19. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

That was the race in which Baker smacked the back of Hylton's car!
    Cotton was SO MAD. He told me he chopped the car up!

2 years later, photos surfaced of that same car getting a new front end and being raced in 1970, as one of the two speedway cars Cotton ran. (The 3rd Daytona was on the Show Car circuit. This is the car that's now on the west coast with all types of claims as to it running race laps over 200 without sideglass! HAHAHA! Baker never even SAT in the car!

One thing about Cotton: he was a good fabricator.... of stories! lol...

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yeah, McCoy shows a picture of the car after Baker crashed it - nose bashed in almost up to the windshield. Maybe "chopping up the car" means putting a new front clip on it (?). Where on the West Coast is that car? I don't want to run across it and believe it's the 200mph car ...........unless that's the one that is blue with the #88 on it. I saw that one in a Dodge exhibit @ one of the Bakersfield Nascar Truck Series races.