Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 30, 2013.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Some guy named Bruce Canapa bought it from the guy that went bankrupt a few years back. (7-8 maybe)
    Paid 250,000 for it, now priced at 500,000.
    If you remember, Cotton took it out of the Darlington Museum, where it sat since Chrysler donated it to them in the mid 70's.
    It was then sold on ebay for 850,000. All $$$ went to Cotton for a car that was not his to sell!!

One more thing - I saw the original wing supports off that "chopped up car" hanging in the rafters at one of the buildings at Cottons place in 2011. They weren't for sale.

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Very interesting article (source unknown - maybe "Spartanburg Herald") on Richard Petty winning @ North Wilkesboro Speedway, April 21, 1974. It was his first attempt at using a Chrysler small block 340" based motor for power after Nascar rules changes pretty much rendered the 426 Hemis uncompetitive. Petty earned $6,250 for the win but claims here that the small block cost the team about $50,000 to build, so they were $40,000+ in the hole after the race. He states that it took Maurice Petty about 2 months to build the motor, adding a long stroke crankshaft to the "economy" 340" motor to give 362" and that he hoped that building them in quantity would bring the cost down to about $12,000. He also states that the motor saved about 200# on the front end and that he thought that the car would be a better handler, particularly on the shorter tracks.

This article was old and faded and hard to read even before I copied it. I don't know how it will look after scanning & transfer here but if anyone wants a specific section clarified, I'm willing to type out a paragraph or two.

Petty article - $50,000 small block.jpg

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

1972 Champion spark plug ad............

Petty in '72 Champion ad.jpg

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Article from "Motor Trend" (being offered on e-Bay) on Richard Petty winning the Spring race @ Darlington in 1966 after years of frustration at that track. I watched that 1963 race on TV (WWS) that they mention where Petty was leading with 3 laps to go in his '63 Plym and blew a tire letting a Ford win the race. That '63 Plymouth was still powered by a wedge motor, not a Hemi.

Petty wins @ Darlington '66 - MT article.jpg

DC-93 likes this.
  5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Found a couple of pics of Frank Warren. He ran Plymouth's and Dodges from 1970 to 1980. Was one of the last guys to race a Magnum. Never won a race in almost 400 starts but we would give him some parts now and then to keep him going.
    Frank_Warren #79 Plymouth.jpg Frank_Warren_10_Texas.jpg

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I often wondered if he wasn't getting a little help to keep going long after everyone else (except Buddy Arrington) had given up on racing Mopars.

Frank Warren's best year in Nascar Cup was 1971 when he had 10 top 10's.

He had one top 5 driving his Mopar - a 5th @ the 1974 June (Tuborg 400) race @Riverside (I was there to see it). He was the only Mopar to finish in the top 10!

I always felt that Frank should have gotten extra appearance $$$ just for showing up in that Magnum, imo, one of the sharpest looking cars to ever race in Nascar.
    There is a great picture out there somewhere of Frank's Magnum racing in turn #6 @ Riverside in his last appearance there in a Mopar with the sun glistening off of it. Unfortunately I didn't save it. In the meantime, I'll repost this photo (shared from the HAMB board) that I had already posted earlier.

[​IMG]

DC-93 likes this.
  7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Other drivers made comments about a lost lunch box under the hood! hahaha!

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Mopars in dirt track action at the Oconeechee Speedway in Hillsborough, NC, in 1964 - David Pearson in Cotton Owens' #6, Jr Johnson in Ray Fox's #3, and Richard Petty in #43. Pearson went on to win the race.

Mopars @ Hillsborough 1964.jpg

(Photo shared from Photobucket)

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

How's this for manufacturer involvement?

1967 article (source unknown) on the head of the Chrysler/Plymouth Division, Robert Anderson, preparing a "permanent commemorative marker" in anticipation of Richard Petty breaking the Nascar victory record (54) which was held by his father, Lee. Richard had just tied that record with a win @ Richmond on April 30, 1967.

. Article - Petty commemorative plaque.jpg

Mr Anderson didn't have to wait long. At the very next scheduled race, Darlington, Richard Petty won for the second year in a row and the plaque was presented, here by Ronnie Householder, "Chrysler's head performance individual" .

Article - Petty commemorative plaque II.jpg

According to the article, the plaque was placed as a permanent marker at the track's Finish Line. Wonder if it's still there seeing as how the total victories it commemorates is just over 1/4 of Petty's eventual total of Nascar Cup series victories.

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Also - start-finish line was switched to the backstretch, remember?

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

No, forgot that. I guess the plaque is somewhere on the backstretch then. Probably doesn't make much difference now anyway :(.