AF: The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread | Page 50 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The All-time Dodge/Plymouth NASCAR Racing history thread

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

1978 Daytona 500 - Ferrel Harris Dodge from Petersen Museum Archives
    Dodge Magnum #6 Ferrel Harris  1978 Daytona 500.jpg

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

He saved the day for Mopar with his 2nd place finish, otherwise it would have been a 1 - 3 FoMoCo sweep. I was there all 5 days that the track was open for practice/qualifying/racing and the race was a real letdown after the winged Mopars had showed so much promise during the week. The smart $$ was on Gurney's #42 Petty crewed Superbird to win but he had to come in on the first lap for brake work and never could make up the 11 laps he lost. I still blame the Petty crew for not double checking the brakes before rolling the car to the line.

#982 Beentherebefore, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

NEW link added to Woodward Garage info from the Bill Wright archive -
    http://www.billwrightdocumentarchive.com/TableOfContents.htm

Late 60s wing cars, trans am and drag cars that the Woodward Garage worked on.
    Nice pic of the Woodward Garage SuperBird doing laps at the Huntsville Airport testing a 727 trans for road course use.
    Guess who was driving??

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Started 23rd and finished 9th - the only Mopar to finish in the top 10. This was the team car to the #5 of Neil Bonnett, owned by Jim Stacy.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It'll take me a while to read through it all but I did look at the letter on the Proposed Riverside test. I never heard that Chrysler tested an automatic trans, The only car I ever saw racing on that track with an auto trans was Jack McCoy. He had mangled his arm badly years before in a modified-jalopy race and always had trouble with the constant shifting needed in a 500 mile road race. The trans only lasted about 35 laps and he went back to a stickshift for the next Riverside race.

#985 Beentherebefore, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

mdh1776 likes this.
  7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Woodward garage 1970 superbird testing 727 auto trans huntsville airport.JPG

Beentherebefore likes this.