Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The case for the Journey replacement

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by hmk123, Dec 26, 2017.

1. hmk123

Level III Supporter

We lost our Dart three months ago due to an accident. It will be greatly missed. Our Journey is now 9 years old and will have to eventually be replaced. From a size value proposition you can't beat the Journey. I was shocked that its overall length is one inch longer than a Grand Cherokee. It does have less rear legroom though due to the optional third row. My wife sold her weekend car and so we ended up with the Grand Cherokee (High Altitude which was discounted). I was just checking out the deals on a Cherokee Overland and was surprised how steep the discounts are and was almost wondering if we should have gotten one of those and saved easily $10k.

But the Cherokee is 10 inches smaller than a GC and has quite a bit less cargo space. So I do think there is room (no pun intended) for a Dodge/Chrysler Journey replacement. If you need space to haul things around the Journey offers a lot for its money. I hope that won't be lost...

aldo90731 and DarkSky like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Cherokee is heavily incentivized, especially for leases. Dealers have tons of Cherokee’s in stock to move as well.

Supposedly the replacement for Journey’s function is an extended Cherokee with a 3rd row and hopefully some cargo room. But that vehicle seems perpetually caught in the 3 years out cycle.

I don’t blame you for picking Grand Cherokee. It’s really nice.

3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

The Journey is scheduled to be replaced by a Chrysler CUV. It will be along the lines of the Jeep Grand Commander (Yuntu) that is scheduled to be sold in China. See it here: Jeep Grand Commander? (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/jeep-grand-commander.169703/ )

Dodge will get its own version of the Alfa Stelvio first. That is much smaller than the Journey (more Compass sized but tuned for handling)

The Chrysler CUV that you would want has an unknown date for production.

I am sure you will get many opinions on what you should get.

4. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I agree, I think the Dodge will move upscale, be smaller, performance oriented and be more expensive. So hopefully the Chrysler will be more value oriented. I do think the current Journey proves that there is a market for it.

So we ended up getting the GC last Saturday. It would have been nice to have another option. I would have still considered another Journey but around here it is hard to find the V6 on dealer lots.

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
    It has not the dimensions of a Jeep Compass, but its comparable in lenght to a Jeep Cherokee.
    It is wider than a Dodge Journey.

Overall Length 184.6" (4,688 mm))
    Overall Width (not including mirrors) 74.9" (1,903 mm)
    Overall Height 66.0" (1,677 mm)

Cargo space.
    Behind second row seats, 18.5 cu ft (525 liters)
    Maximum cargo volume, 56.5 cu ft (1,600 liters)

DarkSky likes this.
  6. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

We leased a 2017 Journey, loaded for a very good price, we love it. I don't understand why they don't just reskin the Journey and keep cranking them out. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Right. Compact Dodge, not subcompact.

8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

A couple of things...you can buy them loaded for cheap because FCA hasn't invested anything into them in years, so they are just cash cows now. Second, I think it would take more than a reskin to keep them current with safety regs.

tlc and ScramFan like this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Fuel economy is awful in Journey and it will not meet safety requirements in a few years.

tlc likes this.
  10. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

My Journey gets decent MPG with the v6, you want a toy car just buy one. Cars are a lot like computers, change for the sake of change, something to keep the designers in jobs.

Doug D likes this.
  11. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Maybe the rear of the Dodge version won't be so heavily raked like the Stelvio is to increase cargo room?
    [​IMG]

So perhaps the Journey replacement "Magnum" will look like a smaller version of the next generation Durango...whatever that SUV may end up possibly looking like. :rolleyes:

ScramFan likes this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well they can be very different like a Renegade and Toro
    [​IMG]

Almost identical in the underpinnings like Renegade / 500X or Fiat 500 / Panda (the ones on the right, the wheelbase is the same 2300 mm, but Panda is longer, about 10 cm longer) :)
    [​IMG]

ScramFan likes this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Rear window as on Stelvio does not change cargo capacity. At least not in the way how we in Europe measure it. It has class leading cargo volume in Europe. Cargo volume is not measured all the way to the roof.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I know, huh.

My dad has a 2013 Journey RT. He loves that thing.

All it needs IMO, is a more modern transmission, better suspension calibration, tweak the rear seat comfort, refresh the styling, keep uConnect updated and voilá, its ready for another 10 years of milking.

But FCA seems bent on playing chess with its brands and over-complicating everything...

Tin Man 2, hmk123, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We love our 2010 Journey SXT. We've had no problems with the transmission (62TE) other than a flaky TRS sensor. Kinda wish we had opted for the Uconnect at the time of purchase, but it is what it is. Dealer quoted $900+ to install it. I don't think so. We get decent fuel mileage with the V6 - it really shines on the highway - about 25-26 mpg on average. Have gotten 27-28 mpg on a few occasions. My only true complaint is the brakes wearing out prematurely, but ever since I switched to ceramics, it has not been an issue. Plus the best thing - it is paid for - no more payments.

16. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Except by people that actually use their vehicle. :)

17. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Dodge had better redesign the cargo area when (if) their version ever shows up. Stelvio is a utility vehicle without the utility. It's not the only one, but it is one of the worst offenders.

somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  18. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Realistic cargo capacity for Stelvio is around 450 liters. Just for comparison Jeep Compass has cargo capacity of 305 liters.

19. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I have no idea what "realistic" cargo room is, but here are FCA's stats:
    Stelvio cargo room
    Behind second seat: 18.5 cu ft
    Maximum: 56.5 cu ft (I assume this means rear seats folded).
    2018 Jeep Compass:
    Behind second seat: 27.2 cu ft
    Rear seats folded: 59.8 cu ft

Therefore Compass shows more cargo room than Stelvio, especially when all seats are in use which is the most important stat. Stelvio has severely compromised space for styling.

Tin Man 2, somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  20. T_690

T_690 Active Member

@Dave Z recently reviewed Hyundai i30. It's called Elantra GT in the states. Look at what he wrote about hatchback cargo volume.