Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The case for the Journey replacement

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by hmk123, Dec 26, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

OK, I'd read it before and just re-read it. I'm not sure what it has to do with Stelvio/Compass comparisons.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Some measured data:
    31.jpg 32.jpg

Maybe @MJAB or @romalerig are willing to translate this. But IMO all is very clear.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  3. valiant67

Level III Supporter

But yet, it is a meaningless measurement. One only has to observe CUVs and SUVs in use and see that quite often what they are hauling is higher than the seat back. I do it frequently in my Durango. It's not unsafe - that is what mirrors are for.

Tin Man 2, page2171 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It's not. It's how it's measured officially in EU. And yet some of them are lying.

So sedans will very often have higher cargo capacity compared to hatchback. But hatchback will have more user friendly cargo space.

And yes. It's unsafe if you load it higher than parcel shelf. But it depends on what you have there. Hard braking and boom it hits someone on the back seats on their head.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

According to this, Stelvio can claim “more” cargo space by simply rising the back of the rear seats? That’s simply dancing around government rules IMO. Nothing has really changed back there that increases cargo space.

Most likely it depends how vehicles are used in each region. Here in North America, the space between the rear wheel wells is a key stat; owners regularly transport bulky items for home improvement, self employment, etc.

#25 aldo90731, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    somber and valiant67 like this.
  6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I think it stands to note that the measurement is taken at the floor and the fact that the liftgate slopes toward the front, and the seats slope backward, that you have more of a triangular prism of space rather than a rectangle to use. Looking at those measurements it looks like Alfa made the prism higher, but that doesn't change the fact that a TV may not fit in the car unless its slanted at a weird angle.

7. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The 2011 interior update was nice but I agree, it would have been nice if it had gotten some transmission, suspension and maybe also 4 cylinder engine updates over the years. It would have kept it more competetive. Its cargo space is really great at this price range. And because it is not too wide it makes it easier around town.

freshforged and aldo90731 like this.
  8. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Make the passenger and cargo room bigger then the Honda CRV and you got a winner.

9. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Just got back from a 500 mile round trip on snowy roads and -30F temps..2013 Journey V6 AWD returned 21.8 mpg US. I cannot complain one bit about the Journey, good room, great features and passing power PLUS the comfort of AWD. FCA...just make another one half as capable and you'll sell a bunch!!

ScramFan likes this.
  10. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Just got back from a 500 mile round trip on snowy roads and -30F temps..2013 Journey V6 AWD returned 21.8 mpg US. I cannot complain one bit about the Journey, good room, great features and passing power PLUS the comfort of AWD. FCA...just make another one half as capable and you'll sell a bunch!!

aldo90731 likes this.
  11. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Hauled home something from the big box store in the Durango yesterday. It was higher than the seat back, but since it was a single tall item, and the seas have headrests, there was no chance of it hitting anyone in the head. Had I owned a Stelvio, I guess I'd have had to pay for delivery.

12. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

My 2017 Journey GT AWD has good suspension and brakes, along with the Pentastar V6. Everything works very well, the only thing I dislike is,,,,,,, Too much electronics, I dislike the big screen, I know it is cheaper to build but it's distracting to operate compared to "old fashion" switch gear. Border line unsafe to use while driving.

voiceofstl likes this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Usually when you go for TV, fridge or similar, delivery is free in Europe.

And you will not buy big items in supermarket but you will buy a lot of small ones.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  14. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

It is the difference between EU and US.......the US buys a lot of big stuff and brings it home. In the EU, it is about delivery.

Different cultures which create the need for different vehicles.

Zagnut27, somber and valiant67 like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Depending on the retailer and if your residence is within a certain region, delivery can be free in the US. And even though I own a pickup truck, I will pay for delivery if necessary. At my age I prefer someone else to haul the appliance up the steps into the house.

Don't know about Europe, but our groceries are bagged before placing them in the vehicle. I've never had enough items in the cargo area that it was a concern.

valiant67 likes this.
  16. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I have yet to see a free delivery of a table saw from the home improvement store.

17. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I would not haul anything home in my Dakota now. It's a southern truck and I won't expose it to salt, especially since there is no current product that can replace it. Even the long promised Jeep truck looks like it will be too long and tall.

Ian, somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, PA uses a lot of salt on the roads. Where I live in VA we don't receive much snow - I think the average is about 14" per year. Even when we do get large amounts (over 10") VDOT does not use a lot of salt. It's usually a 60/40 sand/salt mix and they drop it only where needed. After 11 years my '06 Ram 1500 does not have a spec of rust on the body.

The last load I picked up and brought home was 15 cartons of flooring (redoing one bedroom, hallway and kitchen). It's a lot easier to unload several some cartons than one big appliance.

19. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I can buy a 70 inch TV where I shop for groceries.

Zagnut27 and Doug D like this.
  20. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

He should know that. Tesco in EU sells TVs, lawn furniture and pthwr large items.