Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The case for the Journey replacement

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by hmk123, Dec 26, 2017.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

The platform is the mathematical envelope that describes the range of dimensions within which the structure of any vehicles made out of that platform must fall. The actual physical product being manufactured is the architecture of the vehicle. Sometimes these concepts are referred to simultaneously as “plateture” on this site, but they remain two related but separate concepts.

aldo90731 likes this.
  2. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

So, if someone in Europe created a CUV like Stelvio, but also included netting between the ceiling and rear seat backs.... could they include the area above as cargo space then?

GasAxe likes this.
  3. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The two cargo space numbers can be usually found in datasheet of vehicles in Europe, and are

- the one with all seats in place and under the rear cover (tonneau cover, rool-up, ...) that almost all cars have (people complained about Fiat Freemont, the Fiat version of Dodge Journey, because it didn't have);

- the one with rear seats down, that is all cargo area till the roof.

Than, for how and how the cargo area passenger vehicles can be loaded, it depends on regulations of each country.

4. donhillks

donhillks Member

I don't agree on your assessment of the Journey's fuel economy. If you bought a 2.4 liter four for fuel economy, I'm sorry. We have a '12 R/T which easily does 26-27 mpg on the highway with the Pentastar V6. Put that against comparable competitive models. We took a 2500 mile trip in ours over a good part of TX. Taking advantage of TX high speed limits on their interstates and freeways, we averaged 26.4 mpg for the entire trip - much of it at 75-80 mph. We had an introductory year '09 Journey with the 3.5 six, it also averaged 24-25 mpg on the highway. It was good enough all-around to cause us to trade for the '12, even with the horrible 28-29K and done original brake pads. Chrysler did refund much of the replacement expense on those. The current '12 has 91K with plenty of meat left on the original pads, so that problem was nicely solved. I find that most of the other Journey owners we know are very happy with their cars, and have been an easy repeat sale for FC. I think that is part of what is showing up in the impressive sales numbers for an older introduction.

5. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Your anecdotal evidence only matters to you.

Honest comparisons of fuel economy are done using the EPA test cycle.

Anything else is meaningless.

ehaase likes this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Right. That would be 'Potential Space', being flexible.

Theoretically, an object in motion could distort the netting and allow that moving object to strike a rear passenger whose body projects above the top of the seat back, thus becoming a greater danger. A Tonneau has its limitations, too. Compared to a net, it's closer to a bulkhead, but with restricted benefits.. Yet a horizontal cover tends to restrain lightweight, less bulky objects. Anchoring and cover material detail would be key.

I have an old minivan. It is equipped with a few collapsible D-rings in the floor; therefore, if so moved, I could anchor cargo netting at those rings. I've thought of that. I use folding plastic boxes and a fkexible urethane waste basket for most objects. These are things which I've added from the home improvement stores. My experience is they slide on the carpeted surface. I've not experienced a roll-over collision ( in which all other concerns become irrelevant ). But the boxes and the basket slide in along a limited range. I'd be happier if I could find a collapsible box equipped with a plastic lid which could be latched closed. Haven't seen any such thing just yet.

The safest storage for this van is when the third row seats are set-up. That seat collapses into a well in the floor. Measuring the bottom of the well to the top of the seat back would be approximately 36 inches/92 (?) cm's ... pretty fair cubic space within the confines of this discussion.

But this is merely anecdotal.

MJAB and somber like this.
  7. 62 dodge lancer

i have a 2016 journey i love this car no problems, very good gas mileage!