AF: The changing car market - the future for Dodge | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The changing car market - the future for Dodge

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by voiceofstl, May 4, 2020.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

As car enthusiasts we love our performance cars. We've been asking where is the Baracuda?
    Doge is suppoesed to be the performance division but until recently Dodge had the avenger, journy, durango and caravan mainstream cars with the charger and challenger.
    With the changing market going to CUVs and PSA its a whole new world.
    IMO if Dodge limits itself to performance it will be a niche brand.
    IMO the avenger with the 3.6 was a FWD performance car. PSA does have some good platforms.
    Chrysler can have mainstream CUVs and Dodge can have the Charger and Challenger and add some FWD performance sedans/hatchbacks. If there is badge enginering with chrysler the dodge will have to look differant and have sports performance, we can't go back to the 90's with a Lebaron K car looking exatly like a dodge spirit.
    Long story short....Dodge can be a american version of Mazda/

2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

They're also considering the Durango a performance model and for good reason - it will soon add a Hellcat variant. So Charger, Challenger, and Durango, plus the rumored midsize RWD 2-row crossover.

They won't need PSA platforms for any of their planned Dodge products when Giorgio Global can accommodate a wide variety of vehicles, plus the eventual body-on-frame Durango.

tlc and freshforged like this.
  3. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

The only way enthusiasts who aren't wealthy can buy a performance oriented car is by buying little 4 banger stuff like the BRZ.

Shelling out $60,000 (canadian) for a 6.4L car isn't really something most of us can do.

Myself I have just accepted that's the way it is.

Dodge in my opinion is going sport luxury. Their lower end vehicles aren't on par with the competition and it's been that way for a long time. They appear to be focused on high profit jeeps and sport luxury. The trucks seem to be high margin too butnin terms of smaller or affordable performance Dodge is probably the last company I would shop from.

GuidoFL likes this.
  4. Ryan

I'm personally hoping for much more reliance on electrification for performance from the Dodge brand in the future. Large engines are going away so it'd be nice to see them embrace electrification before other competitors do so.

AvengerGuy, jimboy, somber and 2 others like this.
  5. voiceofstl

I see what your saying but the v6 Avenger was at the top of affordable performance.

GuidoFL likes this.
  6. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

And I don't see why that car and the word performance would be in the same sentence.

rapidtrans likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The V6 2012 Avenger did 0-60 in roughly 6.2 and quarter mile in roughly 14.6. You have a problem with that? (I think that would beat the original Charger, except in Hemi form.)

buck67wild, GuidoFL, jimboy and 7 others like this.
  8. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Is there a reason we're comparing a 1966 B body to a tiny 2000+ sedan or did I miss something?

Also it might work for you but I don't define performance solely by a 0-60 time.

I'll be sure to tell my stepsister who owns one and doesn't know what engine it has she bought one of the finest sport sedans Mopar had to offer.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Uncalled for.

somber, Tony K and tlc like this.
  10. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

It's true.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

No.

voiceofstl likes this.
  12. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

What's not true? That a 1966 B body and avenger have no business being compared in performance? I think that's accurate.

It's also accurate that my step sister owns one and doesn't know anything about it.

I'm not the one who posted a 0-60 suggesting the avenger is a performer.

13. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

I firmly believe you are undervaluing the performance that the 5.7 Hemi gives... even in the 7-seat Durango. The performance that a 5.7 Hemi gives in the Challenger and Charger is nothing to sneeze it and rivals the performance of other "performance oriented" vehicles at a much better price-point.

I know for a fact that my 5.7 Durango runs with performance SUV's upwards of double its price. The difference begins to become more evident when the speeds and maneuvers hit triple digits aka "highly" illegal.

14. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

We're all well aware FCA makes decent cars for people with more than $60,000 to spend but what about the rest of us?

Why can't we get a hot 2.0L or 3.0L in a base package to keep the costs down? Keep the tech off and give it big ejough brakes we don't need anything else.

BEEAH, GuidoFL and voiceofstl like this.
  15. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I don’t either.
    I have a hard time calling a fwd car a performance car.
    If one has a decent engine I tend to think. Man, If only it was rwd with a stick it’d really be something.

16. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I call it performance when the whole car performs, not just being able to quote a higher HP number or larger displacement. Thats what performance meant in the 60s in the US. Not so much today and definitely not the rest of the world. The Avenger with a 3.6 might have sufficient power to weight but it has no steering, no brakes, no suspension. How on earth would somebody try and sell it as performance I can't get past.

There are some FWD performers. They're just not to our excitement.

Although with the prices on Mopar stuff I think I'd rather build a sleeper hemi killer civic for what the down payment on a mopar would be today tee hee.

Would buy a hot small chrysler but they've never made one that will hold together and I don't think they're capable.

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Depending on what tech you're talking about, that's pretty much either not going to happen (legally), or not likely to happen (dealer margin).

Actually, the K cars hold together better than some folks think.

AvengerGuy and Bob Lincoln like this.
  18. voiceofstl

The 3.6 avenger RT was a great affordable performer and for fwd handeled great and was as reliable as a camry. If you want dodge to be a niche brand selling $40,000+ RWD "performance" cars, whatch what you wish for.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  19. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

The Dodge brand is all but dead. Making it a Performance only brand was Stupid. Making Ram a brand was Stupid. Getting rid of the Grand Caravan? Stupid. I think you get my point. IMO most FCA management is Stupid. It can be fixed. I hope it sticks around

GuidoFL, willy4110 and Ernesto like this.
  20. butcher_block

butcher_block Active Member

the dart was killed off too early even with its poor sales. it had ok looks good powerr packages but gas is cheap and HEMI marketing sold alot more cars. to not have a rounded market of cars trucks and suv options sets them up for bad days when market shifts. entry level cars/trucks dont make $ but they do help make branded customers. from my point of view (cheap [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] self employed ) i want a fun car/ truck to drive/ use i have little need for all the gadgets that seem all the rage. when they go wrong cost $$$$ to fix.