AF: The changing car market - the future for Dodge | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The changing car market - the future for Dodge

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by voiceofstl, May 4, 2020.

1. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I didn't look at the newer 200 Pentastar too hard because the few I could find were out of my price range at the time. Newer 200's with the 2.4 and low miles were at the top of my range. I was mainly looking at the Avenger and the older 200. I ended up settling for an older and cheaper Saturn Aura (which was a fine car), which worked out well because I ended up buying my Ram and passing the Aura down to my oldest son.

2. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Ryan, they are great renderings, but they just don't look like a Dodge to me. Every time I look at them I think Mitsubishi.
    [​IMG]

3. Chebby7

Chebby7 Active Member

4. GuidoFL

GuidoFL Well-Known Member

European thinking is what is hurting the Mopar line up. Let's face it FIAT was never a power house admired brand in the USA / North America !

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

And is the European thinking hurting mopar? The American side of fca is in the best standing they have been in over 20 years, hell maybe even ever. Hell a measly 10 years ago the American side (except for jeep and ram) would be pushing up daisies at this time if it wasn't for those pesky Europeans

ScramFan and tlc like this.
  6. GuidoFL

I'm sure the Dodge cars will die a slow death like like the PT Cruiser which should have been updated. Yet most of the go fast crowd has gone to PU truck with fancy wheels and feeling cool with loud exhaust and Hemi badge. The price of the SRT brands is out outrageous in my view. Meaning; Challenger V6 up charge for the 5.7 Hemi truck motor is appox. $4000. Up charge for the 392 Scat Pack in almost $9K over the 5.7. Since I get the employee discount these prices almost but not nearly match the FORD and GM offerings. If you want an exciting competitive muscle car with the best bang for the buck Dodge comes up short every time under a $65K price point.Just look at all the 392's sitting on FORD dealers used car lots. I know because I've priced them out in person, no key board speculation BS here !
    With more European thinking coming into the mix via PSA see first sentence. Just my 2 cents.

Milkman123 likes this.
  7. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I've almost officially moved on from Dodge. Just have to find someone stupid enough to buy the pig off me.

MoparMan and GuidoFL like this.
  8. GuidoFL

Chrysler was and always was a high profit auto maker that was laid to waste by EU mismanagement, stripped of all rainy day $$ . When the 2007 chaos hit Chrysler was on it's death bed with a zero balance sheet. I know, I was there, where were you ?

When Chairman Lee was running the show Chrysler was the envy of all auto makers due to it's high profits and $10 BILLION rainy day fund !

9. GuidoFL

When GM builds a Camaro you can see out of I'm up for one.

voiceofstl likes this.
  10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Chrysler from the time they become a company has never been a luxury car through it's life, it hasn't been a luxury company at a minimum for over 20 years. You seem to have an issue with their past owners but blaming everything on the current owners. Would you rather have a Chrysler or no Chrysler? You can go back 10-12 years and stop the sale so we can all watch Chrysler and dodge be killed off and Jeep and Ram move onto wherever it may be (Most likely china). Lee may have saved the company once before but at the same time he took it all the back down to nothing for who he decided to appoint

11. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

Something akin to me out racing my friends' 1970 Charger with my 2002 Caravan 3.3L
    Never drove a Dart Aero, but my 75 Dart 318 was a powerful enough car, I could chirp the tires more often than my '66 Windsor 383

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Lee was great for a few years and then, in Chrysler Great Leader tradition, he got distracted and left the company in a shambles. Also, some of his emergency measures, such as Chryslers sharing too heavily with Plymouths, really hurt long-term. Look back at other Chrysler Great Leaders... WPC made the same mistake as Lido in a way - appointing the wrong successor. Lynn Townsend just sort of faded off into incompetence. K.T. Keller let the company grow fat, complacent, corrupt, and incompetent. Sergio was a great rescue man but then he started shooting Chrysler in the foot over and over with his constant changes of plan, project restarts, sudden Alfa Romeo obsession (I am not objecting to the relaunch, I am objecting to the L-car and Grand Cherokee “redo” on Giorgio), etc.

Dart Aero should beat any 318 powered car... in theory. 0-60 time is great. 40-60 time not so much. 0-60 time is inconsistent, though. Sometimes that Dart 318 will clobber me. Sometimes my Dart Aero will clobber the 318. 'Course my own 1976 Valiant 318, like my '77 Fury 318, would bog, too...

Donte Lindsey, 55Plaza and jimboy like this.
  13. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Here in Arkansas, we aren't a wealthy state. But Chargers and Challengers are some of the most common vehicles on the road. When you actually look at what you get in an LX body car for the money, it's definitely worth it compared to other brands. Both the 5.7 and 392 Hemi engines will give you something much more powerful than more people drive. And the addition of active exhaust systems makes people notice.

My wife is in her mid-50's, but almost every day as she comes home from work, some young guy pulls up beside her Charger Scat Pack and wants to race. This makes my wife feel young and "fast". And that makes it all worth it. I shopped for a long time to find that car and we drove several hundred miles to a dealership to buy it. And no, we didn't spend $60K USD. To be exact, I figure I spent a lot less than other folks in our neighborhood spent on their minivans and crossover SUV's. That car was and is a great value in my mind.

For our other Mopa cars, they are used. And for each, I shopped a long time and got good deals. My Charger Daytona was very inexpensive. And I gave the young lady more for her PT convertible than she asks because it was so cheap and she needed the money.

Overall, I believe Mopar offers the best deals on performance that you can find. And beyond that, both Daimler Chrysler and now FCA "get it". It's not about being the fastest or loudest. It's about performance as an affordable luxury for regular working people. It's also important to realize that the Mopar cars we drive today will be the legendary cars we tell our grandchildren and great grandchildren about in the future. In their world of electric cars and constant surveillance, the idea of opening up a big Hemi or even an over-built turbo SRT4 engine on the highway will be the stuff of dreams.

14. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I see quite a few Scat Packs and Hellcats in Fayetteville and Rogers.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
  15. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, Lee "stretch the K-Car, more Chrome, Landau roof, funeral side windows". Go Lee !!!

16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

You mean we're not under constant surveillance already?:p:D

AvengerGuy likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I'd rather they update what they already have then discontinue their RWD cars. I'm glad they're the last man standing. Now if they are just smart enough to realize it. I think Tavares is, but he's got a year or so to go before he can make decisions. At least one more model year should do it.

freshforged likes this.
  18. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Use the Force Luke, use the Force.

19. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Pretty happy after a week with my new Civic.

The 2010 pig still sits as an eyesore, I've had zero interest whatsoever from any buyers. I'll let it sit another week and off to the scrapper she goes.

That's how much future dodge has in this house.

20. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Then why are you here ?

T_690, GasAxe and dodgeismycar like this.