AF: The Chrysler Crossfire | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Chrysler Crossfire

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by unverferth, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The Crossfire styling is dated now, but the concept it presents should still be valid.
    We have the Challenger retro-coupe. Having one super-coupe in the model lineup is good as sales of 2-door vehicles are generally low.
    Sports sedans are nice. I like my 200S, V6/9sp, AWD.
    Edgy styling, leather & real wood veneer, PUG engine and limited production would be nice for a Chrysler flagship.

2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I have always liked the Crossfire, but it was just way too small for me, I just don't fit inside. Same for the Prowler, I love that car, but again I cant fit!!!

3. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Old thread alive again..... We are seriously considering low milage Crossfire for our daughter. Looked at two so far and they are nice cars. Distinctive styling is important to me. I'm now going through research in regards to what might be issues. Find a good number of low milage versions out there.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  4. blackstratus

blackstratus Well-Known Member

My Dad has had a 2004 since 2005( left over got it for 13000 off.) Its had some issues over the years. The most severe was a new engine in 2006 for a knock. (Wrist pin failure at 17000 miles) but for a now 16 year old car they have 62000 miles. 3 sets of tires. A water pump(easy to replace but buy the part from an alternate source as the dealer part was almost 900 dollars at the time.) The alarm module just went last summer where the alarm would randomly go off( supposedly the batteries in it last 10 years) transmission oring leak at the electrical connector ( easy repair) and the oil level sensor failed ( easy enough repair, its inside the oil pan but the pan is very easy to remove and the part is 90 dollars from Mercedes. For the most part I've replaced most of the failed parts, have found it to be a decently easy car to work on. Always check aftermarket sources or even the mercedes dealer for parts. The last few yrs the chrysler parts have been harder to find and if so very expensive. It's a fun car that is surprisingly quick for a lower horsepower V6. The car takes 0w40 Mobil 1, get the Mann filter from the auto parts store(is the mercedes part) . There is a bit over 8 quarts of oil in the engine. Basically you can spend a ton on parts if you dont research around but there are deals to be had with just some general research and joining some crossfire forums, they are a ton of help and with there guidance you wont spend a ton on parts. Good luck with your shopping.

5. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

6. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Active Member

I have mixed feelings on the Crossfire; I dislike more on the some of more Mercedes gimmicks like having different tire sizes front and rear, which is also why it has no spare tire.

7. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

Funny that I saw this thread. I just found an 05 for sale near Dayton. 83K miles and looks nice. The dealer is asking $4995 for it.

8. 66coronet

66coronet Well-Known Member

I hate it when people declare a design dated.

In many cases that is the whole purpose is to have a dated design, that was popular.
    Cab forward look is so dated, so what? It has good airflow. Something hybrids & EV should have.
    I love my dated look PT cruiser 2003. It's suppose to look like something from 1937-40's american cars or even a Morris minor if the 1950-1960's.
    I wish they kept Plymouth and put dated looks on that platform. Dodge for performance and daily drivers & work vans, Chrysler the luxury like Lincoln.
    [​IMG]
    Crossfire is a well liked car, like the Saturn sky, Pontiac solstice, Opel GT. 3 Different looks that every buyer looked at all 3 vehicles and thought the one they bought was the best looking one of the 3.
    What if the concept 3 dr pronto cruiser body shared the crossfire platform for Plymouth? Then maybe a viper like nose for the Dodge version? That the dodge neon SRT-4 sort of shared. Or Dodge EV / lotus, or concept demon. I think the Crossfire / MB SLK platform could have been 4 vehicles. Leaving the pronto cruiser inline 4 with low RPM turbo option, while the other two (Chrysler & Dodge) with V-6's and performance supercharge or turbo charged options. Some preferred the stacked head light nose while others liked the production head light side by side. Could there have been some kind of compromise fitting stacked headlights with a bumper? Then move the turn signal to mirrors and maybe in the bumper or below bumper.

I so wished Lotus Elise / Dodge EV made it to market. But apparently Tesla took Lotus Elise.
    In my opinion, the best looking cars were the late 1960's GT cars. Radiator intakes that double as a nose wing for down force. Fender blended head lights. That's why my favorite headlights are the new generation mini cooper and 1996-2009 MB E class, Datson/Nissan 240Z-260z-280z, 1953-1955 corvette, vw beetle new generation and pre 1967 when it blended with the fender instead of making it look like an after thought of the 1967 to end of production of rear engine model.
    I love the dated design of the current challenger and 2011- present charger. They took a little of 1968-70 charger and brought it to current design.
    Still wish the 2006-2010 Chargers were called Coronet and 2008-2014 Avengers would have been called Darts. That way the coronet could still be sold along with the new body 2011+ charger. Maybe with a few grill changes so the grill is back set to be even with the headlights like the Durango 2014-current.
    Magnum wagon had that low cool window look, but many Chrysler Div station wagons for family use liked the big side window look. Too bad they axed the vehicle instead of improving upon the vehicle. But instead told the public, if you want a station wagon (another name for CUV), buy the Dodge Journey or the Durango.
    If second row folds flat, like any station wagon does, I don't care if they call it SUV CUV, IT'S A STATION WAGON. It's like it's now a banned word.

9. 66coronet

10. 66coronet

Cross fire, & Dodge EV Lotus could have shared the same EV tech.
    I guess Tesla is now running away with what could have been.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  11. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

At risk of offending some: those renderings are far sleeker and better looking than the production Crossfire, which, to me, was so ill proportioned it looked like the back half of the New Beetle and front of a Chrysler poorly welded together.

I saw one with a dealer sticker on the back with it's logo, a yellow duck with wheels waving an American flag and the phrase underneath it "It's Great To Buy American".

Poor dumb duck. That's Berlin Germany not Berlin Pennsylvania. Quack quack.

77 Monaco Brougham and Tony K like this.
  12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Saw a black one in my hometown last Monday. I know one guy who owned one once. Loved it, but got rid of it for some reason.

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I walked right by one parked in a shop driveway on my daily walk yesterday. First one I've seen in about 10 years. Still looks good.

Tony K likes this.