AF: The deeply flawed, and inaccurate GM Lawsuit: Detroit media's failure to investigate:Part One | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The deeply flawed, and inaccurate GM Lawsuit: Detroit media's failure to investigate:Part One

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by T_690, Dec 30, 2019.

1. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

"U.S. Government ruled out (very early on in the early days of the Auto Task Force) Chrysler as an standalone & independent Automaker."

This decision still irks me. They should have been treated exactly like GM or GM should have been treated exactly like Chrysler

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Although I can agree, plymouth1, the fact is that nobody but us at Allpar thought Chrylser would make it on their own. Daimler had spent every year after 1999 pretending Chrysler was a basket case. That sort of propaganda sets in and takes hold.

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

^This. Chrysler having run into problems in the late 70's didn't help that, but also by 1998 Daimler had such a "status" that I'm sure they just took their word for it.

Shane Estabrooks, Dave Z and Tony K like this.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Maybe, but at this point it was Cerberus who was calling the shots at Chrysler, and perhaps still would be, absent the market collapse in 2007. We complain about Cerberus, but we perhaps should rethink that, because even despite the "rape and pillage" of Chrysler by Daimler, the total financial market collapse almost brought down the whole U.S. auto industry.

5. BASONE88

Supporter

Seems to be, literally, no case for GM. GM has been upside down and backwards for a long, long time. They have, steadily, been losing market share for more than 40 years. Restructuring. Closing brands. Bankruptcy (which IMHO, were more so than Chrysler). New CEO's. Latest failure; Opel (who they've had control over for 90 years).

FCA is about to become cozy with Opel. In other words, FCA is about to eat GM's lunch. I guess (as a last resort), I would sue too.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Dave Z likes this.
  7. Skinpine

Skinpine Active Member

One must remember that Chrysler was a privately held corporation (Cerebrus) at the time of the financial crisis. It is a very different thing for our government to help a private verses a publicly held company. That and the fact that Cerebrus just wanted to rid itself of Chrysler was a large part of why it was treated differently.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

True enough. Cerberus was also saying that Chrysler could not survive on its own. I suspect the only people speaking up for Chrysler were at lower levels of management (who would be ignored by the MBAs running the show) and us. In the end, it turned out that under stronger leadership, they didn't need Fiat after all... but they had to get that leadership from Fiat... I wonder what would have happened if they'd put Lido or Lutz or DeLorean on a three-years-and-no-more contract?

AvengerGuy and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  9. Skinpine

Skinpine Active Member

The mistake that others made in their evaluation of Chrysler was in the brand equity. Jeep and Dodge trucks were the only ones that most considered to have an any brand equity, even by Fiat. Dodge (minus trucks)was considered neutral at best and Chrysler as negative brand equity. FCA still under appreciates the brand equity of Dodge and Chrysler in my opinion.

Lutz probably had the ability and charisma to save Chrysler and others maybe. What was needed was a W. P. Chrysler or a J .N. Willys type of take charge person. We got Sergio who had ability and could charm a snake. Unfortunately he burned bridges.

#10 Skinpine, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2020
  10. aldo90731

Chrysler and Daimler were like oil and water. They could never emulsify.

Fiat and Chrysler are like oil and vinegar... emulsified into vinaigrette.

AvengerGuy, page2171, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  11. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So in this scenario are we hoping PSA is white wine so we have white wine vinaigrette?

AvengerGuy, page2171 and Tony K like this.
  12. BASONE88

Supporter

I drink a mixture of water, vinegar, cinnamon, and honey almost daily. It's "good for me." Maybe PSA will be the cinnamon.;)

Shane Estabrooks, page2171 and Tony K like this.
  13. aldo90731

PSA is egg...so we will get mayonnaise

14. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

In the "what if?" scenarios, if it was RN (Renault-Nissan) instead of PSA, are they an egg as well?

15. aldo90731

A rotten egg... :D

page2171 and Tony K like this.
  16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

When Chrysler merged with Daimler we got sauerkraut.....:confused::(;):eek::oops:

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

2MassBier.jpg

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter