AF: The deeply flawed, and inaccurate GM Lawsuit: Detroit media's failure to investigate:Part One | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The deeply flawed, and inaccurate GM Lawsuit: Detroit media's failure to investigate:Part One

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by T_690, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

GM: Shrinking it's way to world domination.

It's an upside down world, Basone88

ScramFan and BASONE88 like this.
  2. CNT900

CNT900 Well-Known Member

I didn't think Trump much cared for Barra, he was quick to criticize her during the start of the ventilator program. Trump did however walk back his comments after GM starting moving on the project.

This case is interesting. I don't know much about how the law applies to something like this, but I believe GM's contention is FCA got an unfair advantage through illegal collusion with the UAW. I would think that the validity of the case is dependent on the findings of the ongoing UAW corruption investigation, and should that collusion be proven GM just might have a case if they can prove FCA benefited at GM's expense. Quite a few 'ifs' in there to be sure. And no doubt Ford is looking at this too.

Should FCA lose this lawsuit I don't think it would mean much now the merger is moving forward.

Ryan and Dave Z like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

GM had already been moving on the project. Their price didn't change. Their actions were purely voluntary, even after Defense Production Act was invoked. It was a gesture to take credit for GM's hard work.

In any case, their claims might be valid... we'll know when the judge decides it, because I've been told on numerous occasions that the law is what the judge says it is. Personally I'm not seeing it... I think the concessions Chrysler got on work rules actually worked against them. Swing shifts hurt quality.

codypet likes this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Swing shifts hurt quality.[/QUOTE]
    This has been an issue since the beginning of time lol. Can sorta relate from the Mining world but with that said a factory line is so different from Mining. It's the employee reactions, attitudes and what they are allowed to do under current management that forms a good or bad relationship between cross shifts. We have had pockets of a level 4 organization but for the most part this Mining world is a 2.5 to a 3. We have taking lots of practices from the auto world to help us manage (mostly Toyota) some of these issues. Those are best practices, organization skills ..for example 5S and Kaizen, but none of these deal with the attitude. In our case we have an union local USWA and for the most part they work very well with this company but there is always bad employees the work with. Union and staff.:)

Dave Z likes this.
  5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Yeah, bad eggs can really wreck employee moral—I’d like to see unions become more active n policing their own members—kinda like a guild, but with more open structure/process.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  6. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Yes.. and it is starting to shift that way, but like I said "only in small pockets. The company I work for is the second biggest mining company in the world so we have a very diverse culture between different locations of operations. The company is trying to implement management structures through the whole company but with all the different cultures, like impossible.

freshforged likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm trying to roll this around in my head, and I'm thinking, “Isn't that what supervisors do?”

It does happen in some craft unions, like AMA (doctors), APA (psychologists), and such. (I believe the proper word is craft union, not guild, in this case.) Well, it's supposed to happen. It obviously does not work well.

The job of unions is to defend employees against retaliatory and unjustified firings. I would agree that many shop stewards think they're more like defense lawyers, defending everyone. However, I've seen a number of union people fired for cause, and while the steward served the obligatory grievance, it was with the understanding that it was purely pro forma and not to be taken seriously. If a manager documents the poor performance of a worker and seriously tries to fix it, they should not have any problems with the union in most places.

We should also keep perspective. A bad employee at a car plant can cause some quality problems. A cheep executive at a car company can cause a lot of quality problems.

freshforged and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  11. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

GM, Fiat CEOs Ordered to Meet to Resolve Union Bribery Suit (at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-23/gm-and-fiat-chrysler-ceos-are-ordered-to-meet-on-suit-by-july-1 )

upload_2020-6-23_23-46-30.gif

#33 romalerig, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    ShawnP likes this.
  12. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Sit down with tea and cookies?

13. 1969 300

1969 300 Well-Known Member

The lawsuit is a farce and is probably on the verge of being tossed out by the judge. If that happens, GM will appeal, spend hundreds of millions in legal fees to push it up the judicial chain. FCA will spend just as much. At the end of the day, GM may end up wasting resources on this frivolous lawsuit and will be required to reimburse FCA for its legal expenses- plus interest.

ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  14. 1969 300

1969 300 Well-Known Member

What will probably happen is that FCA will agree to pay GM a sum of around $100 million to make this go away while not admitting any guilt. This lawsuit is flawed on so many angles that Barra will probably be happy to take it.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Court-directed mediation - the best way to deal with these things. The two parties will sit down and hammer out a compromise, and the judge will rubber-stamp it. Case closed.

The only losers are the lawyers...

16. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Ok how about this.

FCA buys GM's Warren Transmission which is going away.

FCA then moves stamping across the street.

Stampings conveyor over or under the street to a new state of the art body shop built in the old stamping plant.

This move then opens more room for Warren Truck to go to a high capacity plant like Sterling Heights Assembly.

Between Warren Truck and Sterling Heights Assembly with both at full capacity.

Ram could have 800k in capacity with 150k dedicated to the Wagoneer Twins.

Plus GM saves on demo costs.

GM and FCA both actually look good with companies actually working together.

Pretty sure the UAW wouldn't fuss over this plant investment shuffle.

17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

From the words of the judge it looks like a "little bit" irritated with GM.
    It gives GM a way to go out without losing its face.

18. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I like the idea and a bonus point as the cherry on the sundae is GM sell for 1$ the Hamtramck plant. ;-)

AvengerGuy, ShawnP and ScramFan like this.