AF: The End is Near ! - for the 200 | Page 23 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near ! - for the 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I think the 500 would have done fine as a small Chrysler for the "mainstream" brand if executed properly. However, having the current Chrysler dealers invest in the additional "studios" to sell a couple of additional models was a joke and a waste of the dealers money.

Ryan and vipergg like this.
  2. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Are you suggesting that the 200 will not be replaced?

3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Probably not, it's not a Jeep or Ram....

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree. I noticed on my last visit to my servicing dealer who has a Fiat Studio, there were very few 500's, 500X or 500L's on that portion of the lot with three high priced Alfa's (over $85K) in the showroom. What few Fiat's were on the lot were outnumbered by the used cars next to and in front of the studio. At first they had gobs of Fiat's. Now not so much.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I never said it wouldn't. I simply answered the person's question.

Mike

james.mooney. likes this.
  6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

500 would sell more if they leveraged the entire dealer network but not that much more, It is simply too small that only smaller vehicles sold in NA are Scion and Smart.... they are tiny the Mini dewarf it......... but on the Studio correct.... when that was announced was when I was free to post here, I said at the time that I felt it was a mistake.... they really need more model that fit American roads

Ryan likes this.
  7. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

Chrysler a sub-brand? Under what main brand does it belong, then?

Bob Lincoln and Ian like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I agree. Ford, GM, Toyota, etc have representative models in every vehicle segment. Chrysler has an elderly 300, a new minivan, and a 200 that's going bye-bye. You cannot refer to yourself as "mainstream" with a lineup that small. You can barely refer to yourself as a brand at that point. If the minivan is a disappointment, Chrysler could easily fold. Just sayin.

valiant67 and Ian like this.
  9. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

FCA in North America

JKU12, GasAxe, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  10. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

at the risk of sounding pedantic--FCA is not a brand--its a corporation. When they start putting FCA badges on cars it will have become a brand as well as a corporation.

Ryan, Doug D, Mike V. and 4 others like this.
  11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

that is something they could do to shutdown the whining none of "sub-brands" add up to full line.

Prabhjot likes this.
  12. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that most consumers would see Chrysler as the actual, main brand, and FCA NA as the manufacturer rather than the brand they've purchased from (if indeed they are aware of anything called FCA at all). Relegating Chrysler to a sub brand status makes no sense IMO. (Same goes for Dodge, Jeep, etc, of course.)

Besides, with all the merger rumours going on, I wouldn't be surprised to see FCA as the company name (or brand, if you like) disappear in less than a decade.

Ian likes this.
  13. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

Like it or not, FCA has gone with a multi brand-one show room approach. Not every brand is expected to cover every segment....not even the mainstream brand of Chrysler, which I do admit needs and is supposed to be getting a bit more teeth. You can debate the virtues of the approach but it really shouldn't be hard to understand.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I understand perfectly well their "multi-brand" approach, thats not what's in question. It's their product lineup, or more specifically, lack thereof. The brands are supposed to be differentiated to be able to cover the different market segments, which is difficult with the current lack of product. Yes, there are supposed to be new products coming, but until they actually arrive they're just promises at this point. And promises do not pay your bills today.

GasAxe, Ian and valiant67 like this.
  15. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Alot of cars have been promised within the last few years and seems like more car have/will go than actual models introduced.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

With sales so slow, carrying a large inventory means some cars will be on the lot for many months.

valiant67 likes this.
  17. Mike V.

Many, many, months. Some Fiat dealers have struggled badly with stale inventory, in some cases over a year old.

Mike

valiant67 likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Quite a few new 2015 and even some 2014 Fiats in stock when I looked last month.

Mike V. likes this.
  19. Mike V.

Unfortunately yes.

Mike

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Agreed. Saw the same. Some dealers are still demanding full freight. They will keep that inventory a long time... unless they are waiting for bankruptcy of their Fiat-studio subsidiaries and/or getting Alfa Romeo. The dance between dealers, automakers, and the public is complex and sometimes discouraging.

Mike V. likes this.