AF: The End is Near ! - for the 200 | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near ! - for the 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Prabhjot likes this.
  2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Yes, even the last generation 200/Avenger with the Pentastar are still regarded as rockets in acceleration.

Ian likes this.
  3. Robert Johnson

It was a good review of the 200. CD also wondered why such a nice car was being axed since FCA has nothing else in the class on the horizon. They dont feel the same way about the 4cyl however and still dont like how low the rear seat is.

valiant67 likes this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

I agree and think this is a mistake.

I laid out a plan in the "You are now the CEO" that gives Chrysler and Dodge a lineup while still pursuing all the CUVs FCA wet-dreams about.

It keeps the plant shuffle and uses it to fill the lineup.

But FCA does not have the creativity of thought, money and engineering expertise to pull it off and compete head to head with the big boys.

Marchionne wants to pretend to be a big player, instead, FCA will become more and more of a niche player that may eventually be rendered irrelevant to an auto industry going in another direction.

5. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

"Despite some subpar interior materials, this was one of the prettiest examples we’ve seen of the 200..."

I despise the hyperbole of auto reviews. What was subpar? Subpar in comparison to what? A bloody Lexus or BMW? I've got a 200 and there is absolutely nothing subpar in the interior in terms of materials.

6. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

True about the software difficulties...those I had forgotten about. Daimler era failures still haunting CHrysler 7 years/2 owners later.

7. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Often wondered about a new Mazda 9 (now built on GUS) as a range topper...

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I know.... PP is PP ... urethane coating is urethane coating... these comments drive be crazy because the come from ignorance of the processes.

freshforged, Prabhjot, somber and 2 others like this.
  9. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I have always had a hard time understanding where they saw subpar materials in all of the vehicles Chrysler has been pumping out of factories for the last decade compared to a, let say, Toyota. Corolla and Sienna have one of the cheapest interior but nothing is being said about it.

eastcoaster, somber and Bob Lincoln like this.
  10. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Maybe it just semantics? maybe its because I am well versed in subject. But there are not cheap material unless they mean using wood and leather instead of plastics. There are cheaper components, there are thin walls, there are poorly designed components, there is components with less content, there are components with poor tooling..... now yes there are some short link materials like from china or miss specified material but none of it is cheap...

and to your point some of worst offenders I have seen are from Toyota...

Dave Z, Prabhjot and Ian like this.
  11. Robert Johnson

Modern automotive "journalism" is simply put, really, really bad. All of the major car mags are so filled with "pay to play" type of short articles that it is very hard to figure out what the "writer" really thinks about the car being discussed. I have been reading CD, MT since the 70's (started out with Mechanix Illustrated) and CD was usually a lot more hard edged and was not afraid to say things that were not positive, sometimes just to show they could do it. MT was a lot softer and more positive. Now they are both just filled with crappy, short articles written by cheap to employ young editors that barely have a clue. One can see how advertising $ are spent by the tone of the articles. Whenever you see a "Short Take" or "Quick Spin" that is the signal that somebody got paid extra for a positive review of a car or truck. The WORST articles IMO are the ones written by editors being wined and dined in exotic locales by automakers showing off their new models. Now does anybody really think that an editor would say anything negative about a vehicle and risk not being invited back? It is a straight up bribe. There is simply nothing clean about auto journalism today.

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We rented a Corolla a couple of years ago when we were in Denver. While it was a rental, and only one example of a vehicle from a massive automaker, I was completely turned off by it. Cheap interior, uncomfortable seats, weird shifter, and lifeless trans/engine combo. Granted I already had a bias against Toyota to begin with, but perhaps these "writers" exhibit their particular bias in their reviews as well. If they have an axe to grind, it's going to show in their review. Or if their narrative fits their predetermined "goal" for their review. I firmly believe they already have determined the winners/losers of their comparos before they ever set foot in the vehicles...not all the time, but a majority.

And a lot of this is subjective. One reviewer will love an interior, while another says its crap. I've seen the full gambit for the interior for my Mustang...I like it, it works for me, but may not for someone else. To each their own.

Robert Johnson and Ian like this.
  13. Robert Johnson

Objective vs subjective is a huge debate as always. There is nothing wrong with testing a car like anything else and I dont understand why some get so upset about it. I have always been torn about the way CR tests cars. I feel that since they come from a particular political point of view they bias themselves against some features/brands......BUT it is nice how they actually talk about things like trunk space, the way seats fold, how a stereo sounds, etc. Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc simply dont devote the space to the small things anymore. They only have the time and/or intent to talk about skid pad #s, 1-60, 1/4 mile times with a quick take on the interior. CD especially is terrible about MPGs of a test car.....they FINALLY started giving a halfway standard steady 70 MPH consumption test while MT has been doing their real world numbers for a while now.

What is a better car? A car that feels great and has terrible reliability or a boring car that is built like a tank? An age old question.

Ian likes this.
  14. Aspenrt

Aspenrt Well-Known Member

Come on, we all know that the Japanese use "Rich Corinthian" plastic in their vehicles.. it's much better. :)

15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I know the supplier of Toyota supplier, they did a project where the parts where so thin that they had come back redo all the cores the parts were just complete crap.

Ian likes this.
  16. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I am not a fan of Toyota but I drove my aunt's '08 Yaris with close to 200k kms on the odometer and other than being a boring car to drive and full of interior rattles, the suspension is still very tight. She has only replaced tires and one set of brake pads in the front. No suspension components were replaced or bearings. For a $15,000 brand new, it's a pretty good car.

So it all depends. She wanted piece of mind and didn't care if the car was ugly and boring to drive. She travels quite a bit and needed a dependable car. She got it. I wouldn't see myself in a vehicle like that. My Durango was 3 times the price and i'm sure the sway bar links and bushings have been replaced once a year since new.

#476 Ian, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    ehaase, Zagnut27 and Robert Johnson like this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Here in Metro Detroit, I have seen quite a few 500 models. However, I have maybe seen like a handful of 500Ls in the wild. Its like they are a unicorn hidden in a patch of four leaf clovers. I have noticed quite a few 500X around here. Renegades are finally starting to add up as well.

18. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

There are already as many 500X in the area as 500s and we don't have a dealership at the moment... Never seen a L here but rode in one all the time about 3 weeks ago.

19. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

So back to the end of the 200, what's the over/under timeframe for production to keep sales even somewhat continuous? What is there, 30 days of inventory out there? Doesn't seem like nearly enough time to ramp up new production elsewhere at this point. One step further, would skipping a model year (or two) to find a new home for production permanently kill the 200 and Dart names? I'd be disappointed with the loss of the Dart name again but "200" is not a name I care about.

20. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I agree 100% with you. I hope they keep the names, they need a history and name equity. I always liked the Sebring name for the midsize. Maybe go back to Sebring?