AF: The End is Near ! - for the 200 | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near ! - for the 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

thought there was 80 to 100 days of inventory.

GasAxe likes this.
  2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

[​IMG]

Car & Driver Re-reviews the 200 and really really loves it. They even state they shouldn't discontinue this car, and love how the 200 Limited can hit 0-60mph in their new test times of 5.7sec. Read the full article here.

Read Full Review

Ian likes this.
  3. eastcoaster

eastcoaster Well-Known Member

Are inventories really that low? Especially for those 2 models? My guess is the average dealer has closer to 90 days inventory for two slow-selling products.

I guess it also depends on the meaning of the word "continuous." I doubt it would take Turkey very long at all to produce SUSW 100s or Dodge "Hornet" hatchbacks or whatever, given that they already produce Promaster Cities for here. I imagine you currently could be testing slightly new variants all over Turkey, and few, if any, of us would be aware of it. You could announce the new model sometime this fall and have almost no product gap at all (from a dealer perspective). Although there would likely be a change in model nameplate with this strategy. So the names wouldn't be continuous.

In addition, is there some chance FCA would "bank" a bunch of cars this fall on a parking lot somewhere, to later sell to dealers, as they reorder? It doesn't sound very conceivable for the Dart, because the 2016 is the last announced model year. But isn't there a short model-year 200 for 2017, ending production in December, 2016? If so, you could "bank" 10,000 or 20,000 2017 200s, and that would last a while (especially if there aren't incentives). That, plus what's already on dealer lots at the end of actual production, would give you time to move equipment to China (or wherever) to launch a remodeled 2018. I'm not an insider to the industry, so I have no idea how such transitions are handled, but overproducing before a shutdown is a class transition technique in many industries...

Conceivably, you could use both strategies together...SUSW that begins shipping this fall to the U.S. for Dodge, and then banking/Chinese CUSW production for the 200..

GasAxe likes this.
  4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Thanks TTT and eastcoaster. Having 3 months+ inventory can certainly help FCA transition to a new production facility to continue the 200 if the ramp up doesn't take too long. The Dart looks to be DOA in its current form.

5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

They are still making Dart... they just have a different Grill and less expensive rear suspension

hmk123 and Ian like this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Less expensive rear suspension isn't a bad thing IF it is the equal ( or better? ) than what we have on the road in the States now.

Are you aware of the performance characteristics of the rear-end equipment they put into it?

Ian likes this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Less expensive = torsion beam, rather than fully independent. It's more durable, lighter weight and cheaper, but it's not as good as a true independent rear at maintaining grip on uneven road surfaces.

I recently spent a week and a half driving a Mk7 Golf around the Czech Republic. This is relevant because the car I had was one of the lower-powered models, so it had exactly this type of rear suspension (higher models use a multilink) - when cornering, the rear wheels don't stay as planted as they are in the higher-spec Golfs, and the cornering is nothing like as well-planted as it is in my Giulietta (whose rear suspension design is used in the Dart).

8. Ian

Ian Car Freak

When will we know where it's being assembled? Or we already know? ;)

9. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

It already is.... and has been

[​IMG]

tlc and Mike V. like this.
  10. Ian

Ian Car Freak

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you

11. DCXcarbuilder

DCXcarbuilder Active Member

Spoke to a SHAP employee a week or so ago and he said he was on layoff. I said "but the second shift is already gone and the first shift is is on layoff"? He said, well we only have about 5000 orders.

wtxiceman and Mike V. like this.
  12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Then they must have more than there is a demand for.

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

That is incorrect, see PL Neon.

Mike

Ian likes this.
  14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Now they "love it"...

Previous comments August 2014:

A set of proper tires would cost less than the cash spiff that Chrysler offers buyers at this writing, and they would do more to convince us the 200S truly is a sporty option in the mid-size wars. As it is, the 200 is important for Detroit. It provides a basis for hope that future model-year tweaks will develop it into an interesting driver’s car, one that could be important everywhere.
    Not glowing hatred, but hardly glowing love.

Mike

#494 Mike V., Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    PCRMike, somber, Jared and 2 others like this.
  15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Even the highly-praised Camry had issues. Our 1997 had seat cloth so thin, holes wore through it easily. It was just like the crap my dad's 66 Chevy Biscayne had. It was like cheap spandex. And the driver's outer door handle snapped off. It was less than 1/16" thick plastic at the hinge, with a sharp edge to it - no filleting for strength. Did research and found that many of them break, but few people hear about it. The replacement was made the same way. I had to fillet it with epoxy before painting, so it would not break off again.

#495 Bob Lincoln, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    PCRMike, somber, tlc and 3 others like this.
  16. Robert Johnson

I read the article and I dont think CD "loved" it. It is pretty clear that they like the 200 with the V6 and think it looks and drives nicely. I think the article is actually pretty fair in that it says what most of us know; the V6 is quick and powerful, the interior is nice and the price is a good value. Older tests of the 4cyl are far less glowing and I agree with that also. But one of the big negatives they talk about is one of the most important for those looking for a family car, rear seat headroom and comfort. A family car should be family friendly first and a driver's car second. That may bring the ire of those that don't agree but the folks in the market for a family car want room, safety, economy and reliability and if it drives a bit sportier, then great. Car mags love a sporty family sedan but the US market does not really feel the same as can be seen by the sales of the Camry and Altima etc.

I am thinking seriously about finding a used '16 in a year or two. The probable mediocre resale value will make a 200 V6 a screaming good deal. A Limited Platinum in Velvet Red and Linen interior would be perfect.

Ryan, somber, serpens and 1 other person like this.
  17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

There are plenty of examples of good-handling cars that use a torsion beam at the back, but that doesn't mean the choice of rear suspension was the reason they were good. If both are properly designed, the independent system will provide better road-holding on uneven surfaces, especially when cornering.

The big disadvantage of multi-link IRS for passenger cars is the cost and the extra weight. With those big factors against it, if it wasn't technically better than a torsion beam, no manufacturer would use it.

T_690 and Ian like this.
  18. Jared

Level 2 Supporter

Don't you know? They have a LOVE IT/HATE IT coin they flip before every road test. For example, in C/D the 2015 Scat Pack Challenger beat the Mustang and the Camero in EVERY straight line performance category, AND out handled the Mustang, in the corners... yet it took 3RD PLACE in the review.

In this case they must have had a grab bag with the name plates in it. Challenger was the third one picked out of the bag.

tomit, somber and Mike V. like this.
  19. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

After its all said and done, they will only work about 82 days this entire year. :(
    5,000 orders, that's sad. Under 2 shifts, they can knock those out in just a week.

Mike V. likes this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Except the Challenger name plate has a brick attached to it to make sure it's picked last. But I find this with a lot of car comparos, you already know who they're going to pick without even reading. I skip to the end to see if I'm right, and my percentage is pretty good. If I could only pick lottery numbers as well....:)

tlc likes this.