AF: The End is Near ! - for the 200 | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near ! - for the 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It's all a game for them. Now that it's going on hiatus, they get to say, "we don't know why they would discontinue such an effective machine." When before they were saying, "we're not sure why they would build such an ineffective machine." I swear I can hear them giggling as they write this crap.

Prabhjot, dakrt99 and Doug D like this.
  2. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I actually thought that was a balanced review. They mentioned why they rated it last in the actually article despite the specs. C&D is actually pretty balanced in comparison tests, IMO.

Ryan and Robert Johnson like this.
  3. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

It's been given the kiss of death so it's finally ok to give an honest review. Might ease their concious somewhat but it comes way too late.

dakrt99 and Ian like this.
  4. serpens

Did you read the previous V6 AWD review from 2014? It wasn't that far off from the V6 FWD one they posted. They rightfully panned the I4 models.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  5. Jared

Level 2 Supporter

I dunno... The impression I got was, "we like it a lot, but we're giving it 3rd place 'just because.'

I also remember reading the obligatory line from just about every Challenger review, "Wait until the next Challenger comes out, because it's going to be a lot lighter than this one!" Everyone loves to throw rocks at the fat kid, even if they do everything better than the thin kids. It's the throw-a-way criticism.

#505 Jared, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  6. serpens

One of the last sentence read "But neither was anyone quite as impressed with the newfound control of that big body after sampling either of the two other cars here."

So not "just cause", but rather good isn't good enough in this group. I think they did great job in saying there's a ton to love about the Challenger and it may be a great choice for you depending on your needs.

The mags certainly aren't always fair but I have found people on this forum don't always give C&D credit in their comparison tests.

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

While I agree that was the best looking 200 of that generation. The body was still much too old and the reputation of the 200 at that time was in the toilet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

That is a Chrysler 200 Super S, originally supposed to be the 8 Mile Edition.

10. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

That body with the nine speed and Ward's top ten interior? me thinks it would have sold better than vanilla Chrysler 200. JMO.

11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It's just another chapter in the coulda, woulda, shoulda book of Chrysler's very long list of missed opportunities.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And they spent a lot of money and ended up with a new 200 that also has the same reputation. What a wasted opportunity just because Sergio wanted to copy the Sonata rather than do proper clinical research.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Coulda kept .... making car predominantly source in NA in class that makes low margins make that difficult

Woulda have been better to invest in a CUV

Shoulda not listen to the voices who link volume with success that insisted that this model was needed.

ScramFan and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  14. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

I like what the current generation brings more so than what the former's mcr offered (remember the promise of AWD/V6 with DDCT?). The biggest flaw that I see is rear seat leg/head room (+3"-4" in wheelbase could've cured) which I don't understand why they didn't take another 8-10 mos to rectify: pushing an half baked cupcake into the display case. It's not as if they didn't have the success of the LH based 300M to benchmark in every way.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

They benchmarked a well review model from another company. 8-10 months would have helped. As stated several times they could easily have sold as many as 200/Avengers, if that is how you measure success. But not a anywhere close to the margins of other products and future products. That not a FCA issue its a class issue.

Prabhjot and KrisW like this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

"Turnover is vanity; Profit is sanity"

One crossover sale brings in something like the profit of five sedan sales. You can sell crossovers at a higher price, and you don't have to discount them by so much (or at all) to get them off the lot, and the best bit is that, they are just the same cost and effort to design as sedans.

Stop imagining what you'd do if FCA were your business for a moment, and imagine instead what you'd do if it were your money... The sedans will return - when they can be sold at a price that gives FCA an acceptable return on their efforts.

AlfaCuda, ScramFan, cgseller and 4 others like this.
  17. cgseller

cgseller Well-Known Member

'

--
    Thank you for sharing sanity. If this was a not-for-profit company, it would be about pushing a car in every market and drive innovation, consumer shift, and conditioning not on making shareholders money and executives phat.

18. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

If one looks at it purely from a financial point of view, bloated pseudo-off-roader shopping carts with big wheels are indeed what counts right now, but from an automotive and enthusiast perspective that's nothing to cheer about.

somber and Morty like this.
  19. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Chasing margins without a brand strategy is insanity.

20. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Not as much as trying to defy the market... they really aren't chasing anything they are adjusting there product mix and rearranging capacity to maximize margin. Chrysler is in a bad spot as it thick with cars that have fallen out of favor in a class where the supply is out running the demand. Massive capacity in Honda, Toyota, Ford, and GM in that class vehicle. Reality is FCA is brand thick they don't have the capacity to have full lines of each brand so each brand is focused. There is clearly a brand strategy.... not agree with it doesn't make in non-existent

AlfaCuda and GasAxe like this.