AF: The End is Near ! - for the 200 | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near ! - for the 200

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by superduckie5000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I think Dave has a lot of company. Who do you think is buying Corollas, Civics, Maximas, etc? Lots of people out there who want an economy sedan with some decent gadgets.

2. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I had a Neon. It was almost too low. I have also owned both an Omni and Horizon from 1978 through the 1980's. They were more vertical than the Neon, but were still compact cars. Look at the 500, it's in the A-segment but uses vertical space. On the other hand the 500X tries too hard to be a crossover. Fiat should dial it back a little and also put the Dart's 2 liter four with a more agreeable transmission in it. The AWD didn't last in the Caliber, but its Jeep cousins wore the SUV clothes.

FCA needs to rediscover flex manufacturing and produce some sedans and hatchbacks that share enough parts with the front drive based Jeeps to make those cars profitable.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

So the Cruze is the reason for one plant - one model out of the entire corporation. The other plant makes vehicles not at all in the class I mentioned, so it's irrelevant.
    Dart was a near-ideal solution for me, at least in 2.0L/6-speed manual configuration. And my wife loves her 2012 200. Chrysler's marketing for both was abysmal. And today the ONLY adds I see for any Chrysler or Dodge are the Pacifica.

jerseyjoe, guyverfanatic and Ian like this.
  5. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

Wife and I loved the 200 as well...... main thing that stirred us away was the lack of rear seat leg and head room. Quality appeared to be spot on and the design looked great. Just a shame...... hate to see it go as I would have loved to see F.C.A. expand the model. I wish we could fast forward a few years into the future then fast forward back with something to fill the gap. Just do NOT want to lose sales to the competitors.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  6. cgseller

cgseller Well-Known Member

It is being produced with limited models and limited features. While the original plan was to have a C and S line with the alloy features, that was dropped and only two trim lines produced. The target appears to cover the loss of the Dart and subprime market since they have no offering ?

7. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

One thing I hear from many people around my neck of the woods is that they do not feel safe in smaller vehicles anymore; not because of what they are, but because they are surrounded on all sides by giant behemoth Pickups, Suv's, and Cuv's. It affects their ability to see around said monsters or to see what is happening further down the road. I drive a Dodge Magnum and have trouble seeing anything other than the vehicle in front, beside or behind me, much less any other traffic. I do believe that a large part of the move to crossovers is in many ways simply defensive on the part of driver who want decent visibility, and to be visible to others. It was certainly a major factor in at least 3 out of 4 recent vehicle purchases made by friends and family. While we continue to embrace these larger units, it becomes a sort of self fulfilling cycle.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with legislation that restricts large pickups in Urban areas or requires them to be registered as farm vehicles. These vehicles are held to much lower standards than automobiles, safety and fuel wise, are more dangerous in poor road conditions and appear to be some sort of penis enhancement substitute for many people who use them strictly for personal transport, and never for the actual reasons they are designed for. ( My ex brother in law refused to put anything in the bed of his F-150 for fear of scratching the paint!) I respect everyone's right to drive what they wish, but sometimes those choices should come with a commensurate cost. If I want to drive an F-1 car down the street, I should have to have and pay for a racing licence, whether or not I use it on the track. Same for large utility vehicles that are/are not used for the purposes they were originally designed for. Just my opinion, and possibly a reason for the end of regular car sales.

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

They could easily make the 200 alongside the Cherokee... the issue is you would be making a 200 to sale at low margins against a Cherokee that makes good margins.... Look I get that people want a full lineup. But you cannot do that at the sacrifice of making money and you cannot make that category profitable. Lets the shuffle get done and see where we are at capacity. They are not throwing away the tooling.

9. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Did you just insult the millions of pickup owners? WOW.... You know most of America is very rural.

somber likes this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

So, because we are becoming a nation of safe-spacers, we should restrict larger vehicle ownership?

11. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

What about Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades? They were designed to carry passengers, but are just a big as full-size trucks. And...you can't drive an F-1 car on the street because is doesn't meet passenger vehicle safety standards...trucks do.

UN4GTBL and TripleT like this.
  12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

How could you possibly extrapolate an insult from my comments?

If you use a vehicle for the purpose it was designed to do, then you are absolutely justified in your choice of vehicle. If you want a pickup/escalade/suburban/expedition/land rover to cruise the mall parking lot, you should pay a premium to do so, exactly like the gas guzzler tax that is/was imposed on cars.

That seems pretty simple to me.( and Canada is even more rural than USA ) Up until very recently, trucks in Canada were required to have a farm licence. Only pressure from the manufacturers changed that.

@2171 I don't believe trucks are held anywhere near car standards, both for fuel efficiency and safety, unless regulations have changed very recently, and yes, my comments apply to large suv's as well, since they are simply trucks with additional seating.

@Erik Latranyi Did I say that?

As Mike often says, you all are putting words in my mouth I did not utter. Perhaps you should re-read what I actually said before you pile on here. I know that America has just been through a nasty election cycle, but the hypersensitivity to ANYTHING you may construe as disagreement on this once-civil site has become ridiculous. You all need to take a time out with yourselves.

I know I'm going to.

BobbiBigWheels and Prabhjot like this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

May I ask how are you going to determine if a person is buying a pickup truck to drive around a mall or to use it for some future family business?

You want to charge more for "intent"

dfarc, UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

We can move the SUV-vs-sedan argument to off-topic if you want to continue it, but I think everything's been said.

djsamuel likes this.
  15. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

QUOTE="BobbiBigWheels, post: 1084813715, member: 95330"]Love your point on continuing advertisement. Not everyone is magically in the market at each vehicle's launch. As a casual consumer of FCA product prior to selling the brand, all I knew about the Chrysler 200 is that it was "Imported from Detroit" and Eminem was in a commercial. That's it.[/QUOTE]

Its almost mind boggling at how many/often the top 6 (in popularity) are seen in adds on a daily in my region. You would think that Toyota had the only car people cared for by how often they run those adds...

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Of course I would think that the only car made from 1950-1990 was the 1964-65 Mustang Camaro (80% sold in red) by watching television shows and movies...

Mike V. likes this.
  17. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh when you implied that people who buy pickups do so to make up for a small manhood, did you even read what you wrote. In most parts of the world that is a insult

And then you said you don't want to decide what people can drive but the government should.

This is America you don't get to decide for everyone else what they need. Around here Pickups are part of daily life. If you want to look at the map of the country you will find the over half the population live in Rural to very Rural areas. We don't need politician or people in Urban area with superiority complexes tell use what we should be allowed to drive... You don't like them don't buy them.

somber, ScramFan, KCP Worker and 4 others like this.
  18. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective