AF: The end of gas cars??? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of gas cars???

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by wolfsblood07, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

And wht the heck is ZME?

KrisW likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I saw a commentary on TV that speculated that when battery costs lower (as they likely will) that it will be cheaper to produce and operate an electric car instead of an IC car. If and when the costs are truly lower for an EV over an IC - then it would be the end (or a great reduction in most likely) gas cars. Technology and market forces, not regulations, would be the end.

voiceofstl, somber and wolfsblood07 like this.
  3. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

They will only surpass them if they make them a lot cheaper and also be able to charge them in the same time you can fill a typical gas tank . Also how long does the charge last in the winter when you have the heater and say a rear window defroster going and it is 10 degrees out like it is in a large portion of the country ?

wolfsblood07 and Doug D like this.
  4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The biggest drawback for Evs are for apartment people. If you live in a house you just plug the car in every night. Everyone is worried about that 500 mile trip. How many folks do that? If you do then you need hybrid like the Pacifica where the first 30 miles is all electric. I could use that I rarly fo over 30 miles in 1 day.

Tony K likes this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Apartments are starting to get chargers.

Tony K likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yep, most comparison sites now let you select charger availability in their criteria.

7. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

If an apartment adds charging stations, they will become part of the revenue stream. Either by raising rents or the stations will be operated by your credit card. One must remember: Nothing is truly free. Someone has to foot the bill and charging stations are expensive to install.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The power isn't a big deal, they can smartcard the power (or as you say, use your credit card). The install expenses are probably not a big deal amortized over ten or twenty years.

somber and Tony K like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Or if subject to tax credits as they were (are?) in some areas.

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Tesla figures $100k-150k to install a supercharger. A low power charger will cost at least $1-2k if access to power is already there. A lot cheaper if planned at construction. Running power later gets very expensive. Once they get enough vehicles out there to create mass, those subsidies will be long gone. It will happen but how long is unknown. CA is the backbone of this movement.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I don't figure they would install the most expensive chargers, I assumed the low power models. $2,000 per space is not a huge amount. They charge $20/month plus electricity for the space, it pays off in around eight years, and in the meantime they may get renters they wouldn't have had otherwise. If the charger is only $1,000, and I'd assume prices are coming down as time goes on, then it pays off in a much faster time.

Tony K likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

At apartment installation, a level 2 charger would be the least that you should have. Level 1 just won't give an overnight fill. You will also have to deal with either having it close to the entrance or making it remote. Remote will usually keep non-EV owners from parking there. Close in will have inconsiderate people parking there. I see that at malls now. Never seen a ticket for that yet.

13. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

everyone says a level 1 isn't enough. But its always based on 8 hours of charging. The vast majority of folks are at home after work so it would be on the charger for 12 hours or more.. Its also based on a emptyn battery which few folks will have.

Dave Z likes this.
  14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Grocery stores will start to add these too... Everyone's fixated on being able to fully charge the car in five minutes, without thinking of how often they're away from their car, and it could be left to charge at a lower rate while they do something else. 40 minutes at Level 2 covers the juice you used to get to the store and back home.

When employee parking lots add extensive L2 charging, the argument about where to charge is effectively over.

In bulk, level 2 charging points would cost less than $500 a bay. CCS2 fast-charge hardware runs to about $50k for two bays (that Tesla figure is likely out of date.. they're probably paying some price penalty for being non standard, but no way is it double)

Dave Z likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

At under $500, it's eminently reasonable... and they wouldn't even have to charge rent for the space, though they probably would.