Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. auric

auric Well-Known Member

What Chrysler needs the most is its own head honcho and not a guy leading who is splitting his time between Dodge, Fiat-us, and Chrysler.
    A guy that Believes in the brand, who will set a long term strategy instead of strategy of the year, and who will work to get the resources and products it needs to suceed as a part of FCA

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

300 sales have been steady for the past three years. Sales have not dropped nor gained.

Mike

MoparJoe likes this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Those sketches posted in the article are some of the early sketches for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler will be a people movers brand. The 200 UF styling will go away and we will see more rounded overall shape vehicles from Chrysler with a lot more edgy lines in future product.
    20170913_122107.jpg

Medicin-Man likes this.
  4. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Timothy Kuniskis
    Head of Passenger Car Brands – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA – North America

Mike

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

In essence, someone who can provide vision and leadership... ;)

Mopartial, Ian and Erik Latranyi like this.
  6. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

And I'm seeing a lot more on the road these days.

7. ECT72

ECT72 Member

Perhaps it's been stated before. If so, apologies. Is the 300 going to have a next generation car of same or different name?

8. prowler

prowler Member

The future of Chrysler!!?? What has changed since another foreign investor took over? I see a little but not much. I had asked, what IS this company? It's brands have been stagnant for some time. Fiat certainly hasn't produced what one would call an exciting future. Sell this off, combine this and that. They have such limited vehicle choices and their design(good as they may be), are old. Based off their market position, the future looks more bleak than upbeat. Are we going to get up tomorrow morning and find that the company or some part of it, is now owned by some other foreign investor? IMO, FCA has turned the company into a cheap suit. It would appear our only savior to rescue this mess is to have an investor buy the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands away from Fiat and get order back on the table.

cdjr77, nastijeep, jimboy and 2 others like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Tim Kuniskis is probably the best man at FCA US for the job than anyone. Tim has a solid back ground in sales and is one of the best car guys in the company.... so I am totally going to disagree with you on that front.

Timothy Kuniskis was appointed Head of North America Passenger Car Brands and member of the Group Executive Council (GEC) in October 2015. In this role, he is responsible for the Chrysler, Dodge, SRT and Fiat brands for FCA North America. Previously, Mr. Kuniskis was President and CEO - Dodge and SRT brands, FCA North America, a role he assumed in April 2013. In addition, he served as the Head of Fiat brand for North America.

Mr. Kuniskis joined the former Chrysler Corporation in 1992 and since then has held a series of positions of increasing responsibility in the Company’s business center operations and marketing organization.

Mr. Kuniskis holds a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from State University of New York.

He was born in Rochester N.Y.

***Nope he doesn't sound like a person for the job.

He was also hand picked by Sergio after the whole Laura Soave incident while she was CEO at Fiat North America.

https://jalopnik.com/5861493/was-fiats-laura-soave-fired-because-of-an-improper-relationship

10. Medicin-Man

Medicin-Man Active Member

It's so sad Chrysler will have lost its beloved sister, Lancia, by the time. The latest Chrysler creations, be it the Pacifica or Portal, are simply awesome. At least, to my European eye. All in all, FCA has ever less and less to offer me, though.

jimboy likes this.
  11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I don't think he's in a position to do it. That is unless he relinquishes his current position.
    Chrysler (the brand) needs a full time, devoted lead. Not someone who is going to be part time this and part time something else, no offense to Mr. kuniskis.

12. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Yes.

13. jam1

jam1 Active Member

To me personally, Chrysler is the forefront of the brands. Not including the brands from overseas..... just specifically speaking in terms of the pre FCA era. Chrysler represents luxury, with performance, class and class-leading styling. Dodge = performance, Plymouth = performance with style, Jeep = take me anywhere I want to go. RAM = Better than most pick-ups out there, and, as time progressed, THE best...... just my opinion.

Ian likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree that Kuniskis is well-qualified with skill, talent, leadership and vision. But I doubt see that he has the latitude he wants.

He seems hamstrung by global and financial hurdles that stifle the type of truly imaginative products that Chrysler had us accustomed to in past. So he is channeling whatever of those creative juices he can through Dodge, namely Challenger, Charger and, now, Durango, but Chrysler --despite the homerun Pacifica represents-- will likely end up paying the price for it.

But I get it: in the end, we all have to pick our battles.

15. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

I took about a million pictures of the 700C when I saw it in Detroit, as I knew it was heavily hinting at the next generation minivan (except for the funky side windows).

Then I went back and compared my pictures of the 700C to the new Pacifica after the Pacifica was launched.

It was amusing to see the similarities :)

BASONE88 likes this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Funny. Tim was the one who pushed for the HELLCAT and Demon. It also was at Fiat to launch to the 500L and 500X (the later being a true seller for the Fiat brand in NAFTA), Tim also was driving force behind the Viper ACR program. When it comes to Chrysler, he was the driving force behind the name change of Pacifica, a person who pushed for the approval of the SM-1 program, and is the main driving force in completing the Chrysler reinvention into the mainstream people mover brand. It's not something that can simply change over night, especially when all departments are told to put all unnecessary expenditures on hold for the debt elimination this year.

I have met Tim Kuniskis several times and his passion to FCA US is top notch. He is a massive car guy and a great business guy. The first time I ever actually met Tim, was at the launch of the Charger SRT HELLCAT. I was parked a few blocks away from Vinsetta Garage on a side street, walking down the sidewalk to the event with all my camera gear in hand and at the corner of the street was Tim and it looked like he was talking to himself. I walked up to him and formal introduced myself and I was there not because of Allpar, I was simply there as a fan who had connections to get him into the event. Tim told me he was reciting what he was going to say before hand and how everything he says at his press conferences are made up on the spot not via teleprompter. He said he hates sounding like a robot and still gets nervous about public speaking at live events.

After the debut, lunch was served to all those who attended while the media surrounded the car and were shooting pictures. I ended up talking to him and Scott Burgess from now Motor Trend about the car and the industry and a little bit of everything. It was there he talked passionately about the whole muscle car thing and how he wanted to make Dodge into what Bob Lutz's vision of how he wanted to take Pontiac into an affordable performance car brand for the blue collar worker. Make something for everyone to be able to enjoy, even if its the 25 year old who is just out of college and has college debt but gets his first job and buys a Challenger V6 model because he couldn't afford the V8 but to make sure his experience with the brand was just as exciting as the HELLCAT owner. He was extremely passionate about all of FCA. He even slipped me the information about the Scat Pack models, which I broke the word on here three months before the public even had a clue about the Charger having it and that he was making the Challenger and Charger trims mirror one another because it was too confusing with the pre-2014 trim levels.

But Tim, has his work cut out for him. Chrysler will launch four vehicles in the next four model years not including the Pacifica refresh. CUVs are Chrysler's future. Chrysler is changing the brand to make more of a direct lineup to compete with the market trend. Dodge while the brand with have fewer vehicles over all from its 2015 model lineup, it will have Charger, Durango, Challenger coupe and convertible models, a new midsize CUV that is RWD/AWD based, a midsize sedan somewhere after the launch of the next Charger, and a Viper like sports car replacement. So Tim has his hands full.

Untitled.jpg

A picture I shot of Motor Trend's Scott Burgess and Tim Kuniskis while I talking to them.

Mr. Fusion, BASONE88, MJAB and 6 others like this.
  17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The exterior was a simple design study. At that time, they were heavily working on 200 UF. However they weren't sure if they were still going to follow the design of the Lancia Delta or not.

[​IMG]

So the 700C Concept was quietly rolled out to the public at Detroit and didn't receive a warm welcome. So they moved forward with the sketches I posted earlier.

Mike V. and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Appreciate the personal perspective! Thank you.

Yes, his passion comes through even to those of us 3,000 miles away.

Mike V. and UN4GTBL like this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

As for Kuniskis not having lateral support... first off Chrysler has backed out of its partnership with Lancia, so now it can do its own thing. Lancia doesn't sell a version of the Pacifica nor does it sell the older RT based Voyager. Chrysler's international status has shrunken. Chrysler will become more focused on the NAFTA market with the launch of these CUVs and MPVs more than ever, since that is were most of the sales come from. Dodge on the other hand might be spreading its wings more and going into markets like Australia and New Zeeland as well as maybe going back to countries were the performance brand does well. That might include non-NAFTA products like the Mexican and Middle Eastern Fiat Tipo-based Dodge Neon.

Chrysler only has a strong presence in the middle east and Australia which is only limited to the 300 currently. I talked about all of this recently in another post. NAFTA is where Chrysler is focused. You will see several Chrysler CUVs battling the likes of the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and Buick Enclave.

20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Retrenching Chrysler and Dodge to NAFTA is a good thing IMO. They can only grow once they have their own house in order.

I'd love to see a similar retrenching of Fiat, though. Not because I have anything personal against it, but because Fiat keeps burning equity --with customers, with independent rating agencies and with the press-- and draining FCA resources over here unnecessarily.

JavelinAMX, GasAxe and Mike V. like this.