Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

That's a bit of a shame. Should've figured that was the case though.

2. ralph.jones

ralph.jones Well-Known Member

The small town CDJR dealer in Worthington, MN has Fiats on his lot, a few others (forgotten where) also have Fiats out here in the sticks.

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Five and a half. I always keep one eye on sedans.

jimboy likes this.
  4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

That's kind of strange. I find it interesting that there would be a market for Fiats in the Worthington area. My in-laws don't live far from there, so I am familiar with the area.

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I realize FCA is doing it out of desperation, but I can’t imagine this making very happy all those dealers that got suckered into spending a small fortune building a separate studio. Which is why this should have been well thought out from the start.

Once again, FCA finds one more way to disrupt its relations with its dealer network...

JavelinAMX and valiant67 like this.
  6. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Depending on where my new career takes me, I could make it six and a half. I have a mid-sized sedan now, and if I end up with a long-ish commute, I'll stay in a mid-sized sedan. But, if I end up with a short commute I'll probably move to some sort of SUV.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

One dealer I know basically had an inflatable building with nothing in it for a Fiat Studio beside their C/D/J/R lot. When they threatened to drop Fiat last year, FCA let them remove the "bounce house" to stock more inventory on the lot.

The dealer by me here in PA added a Fiat franchise - no signs or anything. Just a couple of 124's and a few 500 variants in a single row.

8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

That puts me at 7 and a half.

I need three new cars (or new to me cars). Primary one should be a Minivan; one should be a commuter car ( call a small car what you want, I'm calling it a Commuter Car just to distinguish my needs - could be a sedan). I also need a utility vehicle - normally, a P-Up, but as of now they're already out of range for me - so, I'll be thinking of something to fit in that third need hole if I ever get to that point.

somber likes this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Good luck getting a pick up (even used) for a decent price. I'm learning trucks hold their value better than sedans. We recently considered trading my Ram for a "newer" model (2009-2010). Even with 150K on the odometer they were going for $12K-$15K. We decided to hang on to ours and invest in the necessary repairs (climate control assembly, tires and now ball joints). Without doing the repairs the trade in value would not be good and at least with the repairs it will probably last another 3-5 years though I hope to get more than that out of the old girl. The other thought was we could possibly be buying someone else's problems and at least I know the history of my vehicle (we bought it new).

jclick, somber and JavelinAMX like this.
  10. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

A shame. If they manufactured it on Toluca in Mexico I think they could make it financially viable.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Problem is that it does not fit in to the current Dodge portfolio strategy. Chrysler's, yes.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Dodge's NAFTA portfolio that is.

13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Not to nitpick, but the correct answer is that it does not fit into Dodge's USA & Canada portfolios........ it is sold in the NAFTA region of Mexico where Dodge is different.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

You knew what I meant lol

15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Absolutely.....I' just breaking your lug nuts.

somber and redriderbob like this.
  16. Deckard_Cain

Then they should've brought it as a Chrysler... If it's available in Mexico as a Dodge Neon just slap a Chrysler grille and sell it as a Neon in the US.
    But until the Hurricane 2.0 and the turbo 1.3 GSE are available it's pointless to bring it to the US anyway. Do you know if management is just waiting to see when the compact and midsize sedan segments are going to plateau to launch new sedans? Or are there no plans to launch any sedans/hatches for those segments in the near future?

They should launch Dodge and Chrysler compact and midsize SUVs if that's the case then.

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  17. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

It seems to me that Hurricane in the Tipo (Neon) would go a long way towards making the car fit Dodge's portfolio strategy, right? Put something with 250+ HP into the Tipo, and I'm betting sub 6 second 0-60 times would be possible. And there's even a GME path to getting into the 350 HP range for an SRT version. At least you'd have the performance part of the Dodge mission - even if it is FWD.

18. Deckard_Cain

I think the 2.0 with 200hp-240hp and the 1.3 with turbo at 140hp would make a great range for the US.

19. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Again, let's starve the line up because of brand image or portfolio.,...o_O

UN4GTBL, GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.
  20. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Because it would be free to bring the Tipo (Neon) to the U.S.? For how many sales?