Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Fiat is the new entry level brand for FCA US.... a modern day Plymouth.... in the eyes of FCA US now!

BASONE88, Ian, Mike V. and 1 other person like this.
  2. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

That's so cool!

I was worried about Dodge after Ralph wasn't in charge of it, but I'm a big fan of Tim.

aldo90731 likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes, my thought too.

That's one of the issues with having so many brands. Big and small, they all require the same time and attention.

When you are in charge of a brand, you will champion its interests and fight for the resources you need; when you are in charge of several, you will prioritize attention and allocate resources accordingly. The outcomes can be very different.

#43 aldo90731, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hmmm...strange that the "entry" channel needs its own, fewer and separate outlets.

Makes Fiat seem more like an entry door with a brick wall right behind it LOL
    [​IMG]

5. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but that should have been the strategy from the beginning. Now though, the product mix, pricing and distribution strategy is all wrong. It's a rock and a hard place for them now I think, though. Pulling FIAT from North America would leave a lot of the people who *have* purchased the cars pretty ticked off, and would once again be a demonstration to the public at large that FCA cannot be counted on to provide long term support for their cars. Oh, what to do, what to do?

ScramFan and aldo90731 like this.
  6. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

I like the first sketch in Daves post thats about it but we shall see where the designs go.

7. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Then why not call it a Plymouth like they should have done.

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I never said I agreed with the strategy.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hindsight has little to do with where Fiat USA is now. From the start, many on here --myself included-- were saying Fiat needed to (a) address its troubled past, (b) make quality a top priority, and (c) leverage showroom traffic generated by CDJR.

But arrogance prevailed, and now FCA has an embarrassing mess in its hands it can't fix without ticking somebody off. And it seems those "efficient use of capital" lectures don't apply to Fiat.

If there's any consolation, is that you can count with one hand those who have purchased a Fiat... :p

#49 aldo90731, Sep 13, 2017
    JavelinAMX, somber, nastijeep and 3 others like this.
  10. srm3500

srm3500 Well-Known Member

A big thank you to Mike V. for a great article and to RRB for his thoughts as well.

GasAxe, Mike V. and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

It's well documented of my disagreement of the 200 getting axed but I digress.

If I were Chrysler brand CEO... Well I have to look at the other FCA brands first. Dodge: muscle performance. Jeep: off/on road capability, SUV dominant, plays in premium market as well. Fiat: funky small cars.

Now that we have established that, where does Chrysler fit? What is the one massive disruptive trend that's becoming near future for all automakers? ELECTRIC VEHICLES. How do EVs fit in with the rest of the FCA portfolio? (Answer: they don't) So if I were running Chrysler or FCA i would be dumping all my EV and plug in hybrid vehicles straight into Chrysler brand. It literally has no real position in the market right now with only two vehicles - one of which is an aging large car and the other is a minivan... which includes a plug in hybrid! So it's not like they have to reinvent Chrysler because it's kind of a blank slate.

Frankly that's where I see Chrysler brand going: Electric. It would be stupid not to have every model coming out with a Chrysler badge to be either an all electric or plug in hybrid. Don't even bother with a gas only model.

I see why neither Chrysler or Dodge has released a new CUV. Seriously why would FCA bother when they can sell 10x as many Jeeps using the same platforms and powertrains. So you have to do something with Chrysler that breaks away from the formula the rest of the brands are doing.

#51 Powdered Toast Man, Sep 13, 2017
    GasAxe, danbek and Medicin-Man like this.
  12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Thats where Chrysler is going...

danbek likes this.
  13. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I feel like the impatient kid in the back seat repeatedly saying, "Are we there yet?"

I would love to see the Pacifica's hybrid system show up in a CUSW based vehicle. The Dodge Circuit could still be built, but based on the Alfa 4C instead of a Lotus. That one is probably only in my dreams.

BASONE88 and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Finally it all makes sense to me.
    Thanks Powdered Toast Man and redriderbob!

danbek likes this.
  15. How do you figure? They already spent the money on the Dart refresh, it was a sunk cost that clearly was wasted -- the updated car was done and ready for production.

16. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

So, in other words, we're going to see a lot of Chrysler crossovers that look just like a lot of other crossovers, except that they are 5 years late to the party? That's what I have to look forward to as a Chrysler loyalist? Styling that is already dated and over used, a larger, or smaller version of every other crossover out there? That stupid reverse D pillar with squinty headlights and four weird little grill openings along with blacked out glass covering fake window openings and some kind of strange taillight design, Essentially a bad minivan design tarted up to try and look like something it isn't? Gee, I can hardly wait for these beauties to arrive in the showrooms!!!!
    IMO this is a travesty of what Chrysler could, and should be. Basically, one of the most innovative of brands in history is going to be just another 'Me Too' brand without the courage or foresight to recreate itself into something worthwhile. Might as well call it the Chrysler Nissan, if thats what we have to look forward to. How disappointing, after all we've lived through these last 15 years.

17. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Exactly what the other guy said, a generic leader, leading multi brand vehicles and unable to direct the time and energy where it is needed, instead forced to try and wear many hats at one time, leading to competence, perhaps, but never any true passion for a brand. Exactly NOT what is needed at Chrysler Brand today. But you know, why pay two or three guys to do a great job when you can pay one guy to do a mediocre job? Especially if you can instead pay down net debt while you design and try to sell 'just OK' cars? (I refer specifically to the Dart and 200 here)

We're still seeing vehicles that hit the market 13 years ago, and are sustained solely by "variations on a theme", I mean really, how many versions of the Challenger or Charger can you make? A hundred, a thousand? until it's just a big yawn?
    Average Joe doesn't much care whether its a Demon or a Hellcat or a SRT or a Challenger 392 or a Scat Pack when the only difference is a couple of decals and a few horsepower, or a 300 Limited, Touring, Touring L, S, SRT appearance package, 300C, 300C Platinum, etc..etc..etc... What happened to engineering excellence, innovative design, forward thinking and looking cars, hitting a home run with virtually every new introduction, because there was a team in place that was empowered to do just what they did?
    Now we have timidity, unwillingness to lead, paydown over product, poor styling and execution, indifferent marketing and customer support, and staff that appears to run in fear of censure or job loss from a man who doesn't appear to understand the automotive industry any more than Robert Nardelli did.

con383, JavelinAMX and geraldg like this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

To each his own...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GasAxe, eastcoaster and UN4GTBL like this.
  19. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Take off the Chrysler badge, and No one would recognize it, It actually looks more like a Nissan/Kia. And the Portal? well.....it's just plain bad, design wise, stuff just tacked on, over busy grill with too many openings, weird sides with glass that will fry you in the summer, horrific site lines from the interior, but wait! - we won't be allowed to drive ourselves anyways, so who cares! I'll bet it has just a great infotainment system though! And probably unbuildable as it stands, certainly unsaleable, since the people who might afford it wouldn't be caught dead in it!
    Now if you took all that tech, and put it into a Nassau body, you'd have something worth selling, but of course His Highness won't admit that anyone else could come up with a saleable, attractive design, we'll just get stuck with an oversized ...something... that should be a a Fiat product to match their other wacky designs.

geraldg likes this.
  20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2007 Chrysler Nassau Concept

However, shooting brakes don't sell... CUVs are where the sales are at. Good thing for you there are other FCA US brands like Jeep and Dodge.

BASONE88, UN4GTBL and Medicin-Man like this.