Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Chrysler1.jpg

Why does a Chrysler full-size SUV makes sense, over a Dodge or a Ram branded SUV? Well first of all, let’s talk brand strategy. Dodge is the performance arm of the FCA US portfolio.

Dodge will have two of it’s own SUV/CUV vehicles that are performance based. The Dodge Durango is scheduled to be completely revamped on a completely new platform based on the Giorgio-architecture for the 2020 model year. Dodge has been slowly revamping the Durango’s image to a SUV version of the Charger. It is also said Dodge will introduce a midsize CUV based on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio platform. This vehicle like the Durango will be performance based and will be RWD/AWD. This vehicle is said to be powered by 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines. So a big full-size body on frame SUV would not fit the Dodge brand portfolio.

As for the Ram brand, it would make sense for a body on frame SUV. However, that brand is targeting truck and commercial tradesmen with their truck and van lineup.

Chrysler2.jpg

So why does it make sense for the Chrysler brand? Chrysler has been slowly transitioning into the mainstream brand. It is Chrysler’s position to take on Ford and Chevrolet head on. As the market has pushed away from sedans (the exceptions being strong sales from the Charger and solid sales from the 300). FCA US has made it no secret that their plan involves a full array of trucks, crossovers, SUVs and specialty performance cars.

With the launch for the 2020 model year of the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (WS) models, it makes sense to build a full-size SUV on the Ram 1500 (DT) chassis along with the (WS) twins to cut cost to develop such a vehicle. Will it happen? Only time will tell…

2. T_690

T_690 Active Member

It does not make sense. There is a Jeep and already it's based on Ram. IMO, more than enough sharing.

All they need is to offer Pacifica twin SUV.

DarkSky likes this.
  3. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It’s nice, but looks more like a Lincoln than a Chrysler. Shares little with the 300, Pacifica, and Portal.

4. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Flesh it out, give it a chance.......geez

bluskye and jwp44 like this.
  5. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

It does make sense

tlc, bluskye, jwp44 and 2 others like this.
  6. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I like it. That portal concept makes me want to cry.

#626 wtxiceman, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    jimboy likes this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

We’ve been hearing that the new Chrysler designs would share a lot with the Portal. This doesn’t. I’m not condemning, just observing.

8. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but, If they can do it without botching the styling, and make it look and feel like a CHRYSLER, and not a warmed over something else, this is a great idea. I never really thought of a competitor for suburban or escalade or whatever the GMC is called, but it's a worthy and money making idea. I think it could work very well as a Town and Country, which used to have very luxurious associations, or as an Aspen, which I was always personally fond of. A nice big (BIG) SUV, not a crossover, is just what could help Chrysler regain its mojo as a brand. It would also establish Chrysler as a vehicle that can handle large families, groups, etc... and do it in style!
    Let me just reiterate my point though, Chrysler has about one chance left to survive and prosper as a brand, and if Sergio and friends pooch it up one more time, it's game over! They absolutely have to get it right for Chrysler people THIS TIME.
    Add-on- I'll take mine with a 392 and four wheel drive, full leather, preferably a nice tan, panoramic sunroof, a nice golden retriever, and an Airstream attached to the back of it!

somber, AvengerGuy, Zachary and 3 others like this.
  9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I liked the aspen also. Much improved look over the Durango,and we owned a Durango.

jimboy likes this.
  10. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Thank heaven, I just can't warm up to that thing!

DarkSky likes this.
  11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It looks like something from the too-distant future. Distant enough that it shouldn’t be used as design inspiration anytime soon.

jimboy likes this.
  12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

You assume its a locked in vehicle...

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, styling won't be exactly like the Portal... but it will retain some of that language.

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

There are a ton of hypocritics on here... maybe us insiders should stop talking. Because haters are going to hate. We the Chrysler brand is dead from many of you... we have been dropping hints at what is and can be in the wings for the future of the brand by telling and showing you that the brand is far from dead and people just slam everything. Starting to think maybe FCA US should just eliminate the brand. Then people on here would be happy.

Five vehicles are in the pipeline by 2022. Yet people are still whining. Be glad Chrysler is working on designs that are pushing the boundaries. Because the Jeep studio has been playing it safe with all cookie cutter designs. The Cherokee KL proved pushing design boundaries can work.

jimboy, tlc, djsamuel and 8 others like this.
  15. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I don’t think the Chrysler brand is dead. Especially not if a fresh looking SUV like this comes out that isn’t like anything else from Chrysler currently. The grille reminds me a bit of Lincoln, but I could also see where they may draw some family resemblance from the possible next-gen 300. This grille would be fitting for a 300.

All I was saying earlier is that this doesn’t share as many cues with the Portal as I expected, which in my opinion is a good thing.

jimboy and GasAxe like this.
  16. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

But if we go ahead and drop Chrysler, they will move to the death of Dodge, Ram, then oh no, back to the death of Jeep o_O

AlfaCuda and ScramFan like this.
  17. srm3500

srm3500 Well-Known Member

PLEASE don't stop! Most of us look forward to you, Mike V. and Oh2o's (and others) posts even if you drive us mad with those little hints and pictures we have no idea about.:p:D

jimboy, tlc and AvengerGuy like this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

2017-Chrysler-300-S-Review-03.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------

[​IMG]

2015-Chrysler-200-S-rear.jpg

ScramFan, wtxiceman and danbek like this.
  19. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

This is not something to worry about. The death of the automobile as we know it is on the horizon.

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter