Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Exactly why you make a Chrysler version rather than diluting the Wrangler.

2. bluskye

bluskye Member

Actually I like the idea of a wrap. Take for example if I owned my wrapped car for a couple of years and I would like to change it up. I could go down to the dealer and have a new color wrap installed. It would be like having a new car without the huge expense of a complete repaint job, or purchase of a new car.

CudaPete and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes. Someone apparently has confused hedging with gambling.

The best business strategy is one that seeks to maximize both margins AND volume at the same time. Because doing so maximizes revenue and allows costs to be spread across more units, which in turn optimizes profits.

From an economic standpoint: as price goes up, volume goes down. However, all businesses have the option of moving to a higher demand curve where they can operate at both higher prices and higher volumes, resulting in higher profits. One of the well-documented ways to shift to a higher demand curve is through stronger branding. This is the strategy Toyota and Honda followed from the 1970s through late 1990s, and Subaru has been using in the US since the Great Recession —Subaru has been growing sales without discounting or using incentives, just like Toyota and Honda did years before.

By obsessing constantly on choosing between a finite production capacity (i.e., volume) OR margins (i.e., price), FCA is stuck on a false premise that ignores the fact that it could operate on a higher demand curve. And by ignoring the importance of quality, and purposely crafting a collection of non-overlapping, constrained brands, FCA is giving up on the opportunity to leverage branding as a means to shift to a higher demand curve, making its limited choices self-fulfilling.

#683 aldo90731, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    jimboy, Erik Latranyi and CudaPete like this.
  4. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Aldo, I think in a way we agree, and your comments support my fanatasy line-up. Using Redrider Bob's post about flexible architecture as a guideline, there is a lot of overlap under the skin with the other divisions providing economy of scale for manufacturing, but enough differences so that it is not just badge engineering or me too products.

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

So in your line of thought, let's do away with 3/4's of a worldwide company....that sounds like a coherent business strategy:eek:

ScramFan likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

And the problem is “renovations” put you further behind the tech and safety leaders. So you sell on discounts - and lose any advantage you had in those areas to save a few development dollars. And “save” isn’t really the right word. “Delay” is. Because once you do update you have to convince all the people used to discounts to buy the new product. It’s the Grand Caravan/Pacifica delimma repeated again and again. Sergio can’t keep product fresh. Too many brands or too few dollars - which is it? And now there’s supposedly all these new products coming by 2022? From the company spending a minimum amount on development the past years?

JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. But that strategy remains focused on maximizing margins within existing capacity utilization, and continues to ignore the power of the brands in helping to grow volume beyond existing capacity, and to grow sales without using discounts.

#687 aldo90731, Nov 26, 2017
    JavelinAMX and Erik Latranyi like this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Very true, indeed.

At the same time, growth opportunity should not determined by your existing production capacity.

Just as easy as thinking there’s nothing worth knowing outside your cubicle’s partitions, because it doesn’t fit existing preconceptions.

#688 aldo90731, Nov 26, 2017
    JavelinAMX likes this.
  9. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, without knowing their financial constraints, it's very hard to make an accurate judgment on that (growth opportunity)
    If you sit at your computer and make pronouncements, you should keep an open mind to other pov. Just saying.

ScramFan likes this.
  10. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

lol, ok. So you'd propose spending the money to heavily modify a Wrangler instead of simply using the existing crossover platforms. That's a... er, bold strategy.;)

Zachary and aldo90731 like this.
  11. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Ah...but does it? If my Chrysler "Town & Country" (aka Wrangler in disguise LOL) is successful it will certainly help grow volume beyond the existing capacity. And, if it is like the Wrangler, it won't need to be discounted to grow sales. See, we are thinking along the same lines although admittedly, the CMX would be more of a Halo car.

12. humdrum

New products are exactly that, new products. They sell on their own merit and desirability and aren't tied to any current discounts or promotions. If you let that happen, then, that's on you. As I said the advantage of renovations done now, as opposed to the future or piecemeal is cost. After all the future is at best a "best" guess. If you "guess" correctly now you can ensure years of productivity and growth, all things being equal. As for putting you behind on tech and safety, that is where you have updates that keep on being made regardless of renovation status.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Yes, go big or go home. It could be a make or break product for the Chrysler brand.

aldo90731 likes this.
  14. humdrum

New products are exactly that, new products. They sell on their own merit and desirability and aren't tied to any current discounts or promotions. If you let that happen, then, that's on you. As I said the advantage of renovations done now, as opposed to the future or piecemeal is cost. After all the future is at best a "best" guess. If you "guess" correctly now you can ensure years of productivity and growth, all things being equal. As for putting you behind on tech and safety, that is where you have updates that keep on being made regardless of renovation status.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Well it would certainly break Chrysler in my opinion. Thankfully it would never be considered.;)

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. humdrum

Yes, I had a professor in graduate school who had a favorite saying. Goes something like this: "No matter how thin you slice it, it's still bologna". Call it "hedging" if you like, or whatever you will, it still boils down to "gambling". The element of chance is not gone, it's still there. So, it still is a "gamble", even though you are gaming the system to your advantage (hopefully).

#696 humdrum, Nov 26, 2017
    ScramFan likes this.
  17. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

FCA volumes are declining. The plant upgrades will mean little if volumes drop to a point where they annot be sustained

aldo90731 and JavelinAMX like this.
  18. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

19. Don W

Don W Active Member

I just keep things simple man. Innovate on what you have and what people want. Don't try and get fancy with it. Spending millions on marketing to make a splash is risky. But idk if it works out by creating all new vehicles and expanding your empire then why change?

20. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm waiting for the rebirth of the Magnum with a tow package.

Zachary likes this.