Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Active Member

I’m my opinion, the Durango R/T 2 WD is not far off that.

2. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

My Central Texas Alfa store just took delivery of 2 more Stelvios bringing total inventory to 29. This adds to 15 Guilias which has sat for weeks. No one around here buys Alfas or Fiats. The same owner down the street saw 200 and Dart add a wad more to his bottom line. The Fiat studio was well under construction before gas prices plummeted and ended any interest in the 500. The Alfa store today is virtually nothing more than a used car lot. Little factory incentive to buy the Alfas sales manager tells me. Small margin built into the car.

3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

... And moving forward on-the-cheap ( as is the established norm for the leadership ), you don't have the parts to simultaneously support an initial roll-out AND a potential recall; which isn't an IF, it's imminent, since it's the usual case. Further still, the question of content ( I'm harking back to 2012 with the available powertrain limitation situation involved in that a newly introduced small model ).

Furthermore, the timing of the renovations seems somewhat suspicious, where the purported need for it might have been delayed owing to the rather dogged pursuit of an A/M/P * . That AMP hunt looked to be more important than facility renovation/reassignment/upgrade until 2015(?) was it (right year?). Wondering if someone was dependent on an AMP connection to make it work (but perhaps, failing that, it turned out the way we're witnessing ).

= = = = =

* - (A)lliance, (M)erger, (P)artner

#703 JavelinAMX, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  4. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

While I do like the Durango, I'd rather have a Magnum.

jimboy and valiant67 like this.
  5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hmmm...I am a multiple Wrangler owner: I have a hard time envisioning anyone being willing to put up with Wrangler’s shortcomings, —e.g., a stiff ride, leisure handling, high step in, cranky 4WD, cramped interior, poor fuel economy— on anything that is not a Jeep-badged product.

#705 aldo90731, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    humdrum, danbek, GasAxe and 1 other person like this.
  6. Barry Ian Moore

They sure are good winter cars for Canada, terrific traction and roadibility. People are blown away by the classic lines and comfortable ride.
    I’ve put a 300m engine in my 2001 LXI then ported and polished the intake manifold (stock, it’s a crude piece) Coupled with a cold-air cone filter intake I get 40 mpg Canadian and more horsepower. Not a difficult modification if you’ve worked on motorcycles.
    My new car is a mint Limited that I will equip with a cleaned-up intake manifold etc too.
    I don’t see anything better out there except in electronics gizzardry

jimboy, Ian and Lee N. Burns like this.
  7. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

+1 This exactly is the problem with some folk here. They tend to look at things from a very narrow perspective, ignoring market trends, and what's best for the company in the long term.

ScramFan and aldo90731 like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I’ve had both, they are very different. Magnum drives like a car. Durango, no matter how sporty, doesn’t.

jimboy and aldo90731 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I get nostalgic about my 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8...until I see a photo of that dreadful interior...

jimboy and valiant67 like this.
  10. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Building an Alfa studio in Central Texas doesn't seem like the best idea.

Ernesto likes this.
  11. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Easy answer here. google "Hummer"

12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Easy answer here. google "Hummer"
    I know, but, It looks exactly the same as the day I purchased it, shows very little wear and tear, nothing has broken or torn, cleans easy. There is something to be said for industrial grade plastic! LOL

13. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily assume that everyone wants higher tech in their vehicles. It's a well documented fact that many accidents are the results of people playing with their 'tech' when they shouldn't be, that most poor quality rankings stem from lousy performing 'tech', and that many of the current teething problems, especially with FCA branded vehicles are 'tech' related as in 9 speed transmissions, diesel emissions, connectivity etc.

I have a friend with a late model Volvo that MUST be serviced at the dealership only, due to proprietary "tech' that isn't available at regular shops. This means she must spend a day at a dealership for a simple oil change because the dealership isn't convenient to her home. Many manufacturers are instituting the same requirements in their vehicles in order to force you to get service at the point of purchase ONLY. For this reason, she will never again purchase another Volvo, even though she loves the vehicle. ( a really sweet C-30, BTW!) I am very reluctant to buy anything that can only be serviced at the point of purchase, and for that reason will give considerable thought to any manufacturer that restricts my right to service a vehicle at a place of MY choice.

Not everyone is enamoured with the proliferation of high tech, high cost, high maintenance, 'stuff' in their vehicles, myself included. It is also a huge cost multiplier when calculating production costs as well as the selling price.

Anecdotally, the only thing that has failed on my Magnum is the 'high tech' Navigation, CD radio, mapping combo that was the MOST expensive option on the car, over $2000.00 originally. Since it only works intermittently now, I have no navigation, am unable to change radio stations, play my music, or even tell the time, without an expensive trip to the dealership to either repair or replace an item that should never have failed the way it did!

IMO 'tech' is fine when well sorted out, user friendly, and virtually indestructible, otherwise I would prefer a good mechanical system that does not require an engineering degree or a supercomputer to repair. Just my opinion, of course!

14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

This is what I've been saying--many many people just want a simple car. Sure we could buy used--but does that come with a warranty? Is that going to have more problems down the road? Not many truly user serviceable cars around these days with tons of new spare parts. Those that are around are just not available in a suitable format (4 doors and larger than a bug). This is a huge potential market that nobody seems to be interested in. Margins I guess. Still you'd think someone would give it a shot.

jimboy likes this.
  15. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Speaking of tech, is Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay available on anything other than the 8.4 unit in the Uconnect units?

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I do have to say that nine-speed seems to cost double what the six-speed does, and I'm not sure how large the benefits are; the six speed is a lot tighter than the old four speeds were. That said, I'd have to see some data to know; there's a lot of good stuff packed into the ZF designs.

Bob Lincoln, aldo90731 and jimboy like this.
  17. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Now that's an option I like! Will it be part of the "Driver's Encouragement Package"?

jimboy likes this.
  18. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

That is why you have to de-Wranglerize it. Softer ride, AWD or Select-Trac type transfer case, widen the body so it extends past the wheels instead if the existing fenders providing more interior space, and what Norm hated most...the power top. It will be the only true phaeton on the market. Nothing like the H2 Hummer.

I am not proposing a re-badged Wrangler but a CUV based on the Wrangler chassis utilizing the concept of shared architecture that Red Rider Bob brought up.

I have a Wrangler too. ;)

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

Dave Z, I really like my 2015 200 Limited 9-speed. I drive from Waco to the Choctaw Nation in Oklahoma and back and clock a rock solid 36 mpg. with both computer and pencil and paper. Same with all highway round trips to Little Rock. 2 trips to Fort Collins, CO with some town driving in Fort Collins and Lawton, OK has recorded 33 mpg. I'm still amazed a 4 cyl. engine can actually move a mid size car out of it's own way. The car at almost 23,000 miles has performed flawlessly. After 35 new car purchases from Chrysler, I'm really disappointed and feel abandoned by this artificially depressed resale orphan. I love the car with it's 9 speed.

20. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Just keep driving and loving it :)