Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is that so many systems are interlinked now, so leaving a system out does not guarantee you will not have troubles when the other systems "look" for it.

I do think that there is a need for a basic vehicle with limited to no frills.

jimboy and danbek like this.
  2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Not that it is a current target or anything now under consideration by the two companies, but I favored the idea of a Hyundai-Kia/FCA merger.

HK has succeeded with low-content examples in their line-up. Accent-Rio, Elantra-Forte-Veloster, Tucson-Sportage and on up the chain are living success stories in the USA-Canada market when compared with the Fiat line. HK are simply better than the Fiat lineage we have in the States .

That hope, when coupled with a better, stronger public acceptance of HK vehicles owing to the now-established positive perception of HK products in the main, might* elevate the C/D arm of the mix. Ram and Jeep would simply be a Coup for HK. { Pie-in-the-sky, I know }.

* - I would think it would be 'certainly elevate' the end-product of the C/D arm.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Actually, thinking about it some more, the H2 Hummer is a good example of the flexibility BOF construction offers. GM used a Tahoe chassis and mounted the H2 body on it. Same can be done with the Wrangler chassis. So, back in fantasy land, the T&C's grill and head lights (4) are similar to the 300's but the head lights are moved out board and sculpted into the fenders.:D

4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

GasAxe likes this.
  5. JavelinAMX

The old school ( and I mean OLD old school ) Jeep Overland Jeepster was the company's attempt to spread into the automobile market. The Jeepster's appeal was new. But as a Jeep it was RWD, not a 4x4. That lasted a couple years.

Skip ahead to AMC's ownership, we find they reintroduced the Jeepster as the Commando, and then later updated the appearance with their Bull Nose front clip.

Point being, there was a Jeep appeal to RWD-only at a couple points in Jeep history. The last Jeepster model could also "wear" some Jeep 4x4 upgrades and aftermarket gear. Some Jeepster groups are still around.

What you're talking about seems doable. It would have to have at least Jeepster/Commando appeal, but with some staying power. It would depend on the styling and how its purpose could be sold to the public. If you're prepared for a tightrope walk, it might still be an interesting pursuit.

I realize you're talking about a Chrysler model; I'm not bringing up Jeep history for Jeepness' sake - but that it's worth noting that a BOF Jeep car did exist at one point, and that the uniqueness of its positioning did catch the eye of a certain segment of the car buying population. A real task for current day marketing/advertising people, no doubt.

CudaPete likes this.
  6. JavelinAMX

Y'know, you refer to this as the Town & Country. Instead of an keeping to LX, Touring or a Limited sub-model, Maybe add ' Angler ' to this one.

It could be a positive subliminal effect since the idea is born out of the Wrangler BOF beginnings.

( I would even say 'Chrysler Angler' could work. But each to their own. )

7. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong about the Hummer, it was a good attempt. My point is that the investment is probably not worth the return. Hummer probably never sold enough to amortize its cost, and that's why doing an expensive re-design of the Wrangler probably wouldn't be worth it. Too much money, for too little return, as they would have to sell in the 50,000 (unit) plus range to make any money. I don't think that's very likely at a 50-60K price point.

8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My neighbor had a 2007 Hummer H2 when I got my new 2009 Rubicon: he was ga-ga over my little Jeep and kept deriding his H2. He hated the $50,000 sticker price (a fortune back then); the 10 MPG; what he sarcastically described as “all the off-road capability of a Chevy Tahoe”; and its limited towing rating (he tows his toys in a trailer).

Hummer H2 was absurd in that it required way too many compromises in order to sell purely on emotion and image.

I would hope a Chrysler derivative would offer a lot more substance. Particularly in areas where Wrangler lacks, like ride and handling, refinement and comfort, and highway cruising. Much like WJ and WK Grand Cherokees did.

My neighbor traded that H2 for a Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 Crew Cab diesel: it does everything that H2 did and a whole LOT more; a lot better.

#728 aldo90731, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    CudaPete, somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  9. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

It would offer more substance, because at heart, it still is a Wrangler. But, as you suggest, more refined in ride, handling and comfort. Aldo gets it. This is not just a re-badged Wrangler.

aldo90731 likes this.
  10. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Chrysler sedan exiting will drive me to other brands that adapting their sedans to future trends. This year was the first time I cut down my own christmas tree. 7 ft tall I drove 30 miles with the tree in my open trunk, it did not extend past my rear bumper. Fuel economy is how I save my wallet and environment. Saw a competors plug in hybrid 55 mpg on gas and 155 mpg on a full charge, i'm impressed.

Wife wants a 300 over everything else,

#730 jerseyjoe, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    aldo90731 likes this.
  11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Friend of mine has '16 Volt (plug in). It can go ~50 miles on battery alone. He commutes about that far to work. As there is a free charging lot about 1 mile from work he often burns little or no fuel each way. He installed a 240 volt outlet in his garage. He said it only added $20 to his power bill to charge both plug-in hybrids - his wife had a Fusion Hybrid (can only go 25 miles on a full charge).

jerseyjoe, somber and aldo90731 like this.
  12. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Now, there’s something Chrysler could have done with 200! It would have given 200 a unique selling proposition, and Chrysler would have sold a boatload more of those, and arguably at a higher price, than Fiat 500es.

13. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Chevy has continued to improve the Volt since they first released the 2011 model. All-electric range is up 39%, and the price is down. In charge sustaining mode it has a combined city/hwy rating of 42 MPG. It adds up to a very good commuter car.

Doug D likes this.
  14. JavelinAMX

This is a very, very interesting brand and sales model - even the Car model is interesting. Their Twin-charged (simultaneous Turbo and Supercharged) I4 rears its head again. This car is, more or less, Majoring on the electric side; Minoring on the ICE engine as a Hybrid.

However, this is a ground-up new car, whereas what you're hinting at is an adaptation of the then existing model - an extension of its appeal. So, that's where my link falls to the ground. But I do think there is some value here which could be leveraged - likely in a positive way.

Here :

Volvo's new Polestar electric-car brand to launch 600-hp model in 2019 (at https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113308_volvos-new-polestar-electric-car-brand-to-launch-600-hp-model-in-2019#image=100627775 )

And for a (sales)/Leasing model :

Car subscription services to take 1 of 5 sales by 2023, Volvo CEO says (at https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112888_car-subscription-services-to-take-1-of-5-sales-by-2023-volvo-ceo-says )

* An internal reference is to the Hyundai Ioniq - I have growing interest in that model. But it is in 'wait and see' mode, currently .

#734 JavelinAMX, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  15. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Chrysler just needs to offer cheap people movers. A cheap van, a cheap CUV or two and a cheap car for the value shoppers and people with bad credit. You can argue, but it was this business plan that kept Dodge, Chrysler and even Jeep going through some dark times. As Jeep, Dodge and Ram go upmarket you cannot leave behind the value shoppers to buy Korean.

I'd keep building the 300 too and make it the cop car, fleet car, rental car, airport limo - essentially take over for the long gone Crown Vic so the Charger can dive deeper into being a performance 4dr coupe and not a cop car. A performance car that has to be designed to fit a police officer in full gear, a column shifter, police radios, huge trunk, rear head room for convicts etc is ridiculous

#735 EVOL, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    freshforged and JavelinAMX like this.
  16. JavelinAMX

Your sense differs from Management's sense. I agree with you, however, in principle.

As the acquisition cost continues to elevate, and at the rate it is elevating, I would think a lower final cost product * would find some success.

* - actually, 'set' of products

17. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Get real and realize that FCA is only interested in high margin vehicles, not "stumps" like you want

cygnus likes this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Part of the problem that faced the Dart and 200. Not profitable because of high labor, expensive engineering cost and not enough people were buying top tier terms and all cars like the upper trims had incentives on them.

Journey and Grand Caravan are well paid off and thus cheap. But would cost as much as a new vehicle to continue to build if updated to comply with government regulations.

FCA US offers an entire line Fiats that are cheaper. Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee are around the same price ranges. Also there are plenty of lease turn ins that will help fill the need of affordable vehicles in the used market.

Do you see a ton of Chevrolet Sparks, Chevrolet Sonics or Ford Fiestas everywhere? But with gas prices to stay within 60 cents of where they are now for the next decade and more efficient fuel efficient vehicles, crossovers are not a fuel penalized segment anymore.

GasAxe likes this.
  19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Can't provide a link but saw an online article that electric sales have gone up 60% last month.

20. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

They can use Chrysler as a volume outlet to lower costs on the other brands higher margin vehicles. The fleet Giorgio 300 can help offset the Charger/Challenger/Giulia and anything else that shares parts with it that demands a premium.

The other new Chryslers can follow the same path. Use volume to make up for high production costs and ultimately beat the Koreans by simply building better vehicles because they will be due to the sum of their parts being shared so deeply across FCA.

Obviously this is a napkin scribble business plan but I've yet to see anything else viable for Chrysler.