Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I guess you don't understand the name FCA Fiat-Chrysler America, not FDA or FJA or FRA. To me that says that that name should be at the head of the class not behind.

2. CivoLee

CivoLee Active Member

FCA stands for Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles, not America...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I think you fail to look into the whole situation of what myself and the other insiders have been saying. Vehicle introductions have been pushed back for several reasons over the past two year. A huge shift in the manufacturing plants don't happen overnight nor over a month period. Another thing was limiting company debt and putting the company more into a solid state. The upcoming Ram 1500 DT originally was slated for the 2018 model year launch, got pushed back. The upcoming Wrangler JL was original scheduled for the 2017 model year and was pushed back, due to moving the Cherokee production which was supposed to be changed for 2018 however FCA US wanted work the new assembly line at Belvidere's issues out before launching the refresh and so the 2018 refresh was pushed back to 2019 model year. But here is a just a small look into the core FCA US brands.

- Launch of Challenger SRT Demon and Challenger SRT HELLCAT widebody
    - Winter Launch of Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited JL
    - Renegade gets revised interior
    - Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is launched
    - Durango SRT is launched
    - First of the new engine architecture debuts with launch of the Hurricane engine in JL
    - Ram 2500/3500 get revised Cummins engine
    - This doesn't include trim level shifts and updates to current product
    - First full year of Jeep Compass (MP) production

- Launch of Ram 1500 DT from the new line at Sterling Heights Assembly Plant with PHEV model
    - Warren Truck will run limited run of Ram 1500 DS models before closing and vast plant updating
    - Jeep Wrangler based truck launched on old Wrangler JK assembly line
    - Challenger and Charger get HELLCAT horsepower boost and new performance packages
    - Dodge Grand Caravan and Dodge Journey last year in production
    - Heavily refreshed Cherokee KL is launched
    - Wrangler Unlimited PHEV is launched

- Completely new Jeep Grand Cherokee with PHEV model
    - Completely new Dodge Durango with PHEV model
    - New mid-size Dodge RWD/AWD CUV
    - New three row mid-size Chrysler FWD/AWD CUV based on Cherokee KL
    - New three row full-size Chrysler FWD/AWD CUV based on Pacifica
    - Launch of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer at the Warren Truck plant
    - Revised Ram ProMaster vans
    - Possible launch of new Ram mid-size truck

- Completely new Challenger and Charger debut
    - Launch of the new "Tornado" based engine
    - Completely new Ram HD pickups launched (more than likely from Warren Truck)
    - New Ram ProMaster City is launched
    - Chrysler production version of the Portal will launch mid-year
    - New Jeep Renegade will launch
    - Refreshened Chrysler Pacifica
    - Worldwide sub-compact Jeep launch

- Ram 1500 DT refresh with powertrain upgrades
    - Dodge sports car (Viper replacement) set to launch
    - Compass refresh with powertrain upgrades
    - Wrangler JL midcycle refresh
    - Jeep JT midcycle refresh
    - Possible compact CUV Chrysler to debut

- Launch of midsize Dodge RWD/AWD sedan (could be in 2022)
    - Ram HD refresh

mdh1776, HEMI345, BASONE88 and 8 others like this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

No, I don't understand that name... since it's not the name of the company. FCA US is the division of FCA that used to be Chrysler Group.

[​IMG]

BASONE88, UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  5. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

It's not just the use of that name that I don't understand.....

6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

While Tim is a good guy, his management of Fiat USA has been an abject failure! No debating that point.

Since Ford, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia and GM already offer hybrids of just about everything in their lineup, what will differentiate Chrysler?

All electric? Electric is still a niche player that would not exist without the penalties on fuel engines coupled with taxpayer subsidies. Range, recharging times, resale value still keep electric out of prime time.

How do you fill assembly plants with niche vehicles if you don't share lines?

JavelinAMX, jimboy and valiant67 like this.
  7. MarineViper

MarineViper Moderator

I'd still love to see a return of a Concorde/lhs sized Chrysler personally, still a sharp car.

wolfsblood07 and BASONE88 like this.
  8. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

It seems we have a disagreement among members. No 300 (or any Chrysler sedan) mentioned here.

randy1911 likes this.
  9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Chrysler's will be useful and unobtrusive. The BSG will be a generation ahead of other brands' mild hybrids. The system in the Pacifica seems to be ready for the real world and already shows FCA can be taken seriously with hybrid technology.

I also doubt FCA will send an army of lawyers around to squash lawsuits like Honda did over their Civic Hybrid's glaring defects.

10. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

No 300...2021 Maserati is launching their sport model. Now I can see where the Viper replacement will be based on this platform. ;)

Awesome to see the midsize return but late into the picture.

#70 Hemidakota, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  11. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Talk about lawyers...Toyota had to settled out on "borrowing" other hybrid technology that cost over 1 billion in settlement. However both Honda and Toyota are being sued again for patent infringement on specific engine parts. Yes...it will cost them over billion in settlement. LOL

I have to agree. This is why FCA should have a electric brand (purchasing Lucid is the key).

12. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

I agree with you on the Portal.
    Honda's Urban EV is a much better effort and is actually cool looking that would bridge many age groups.
    Like the Nassau, simple clean lines look better.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  13. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

This is the only vital, crucial stupid mistake FCA is making. I agree they need more vehicles and some cuvs. But FCA assumes that all the 900000 plus owners of 2005 to 2019 300 owners (with some overlap) is going to get a charger or a cuv. Some may but alot will move to genesis or cadillac because of the refined look and not sport look of a RWD vehicle. I truly don't understand the oversight and basic business moves of not keeping one sedan refreshed in your line up. This over sight will hurt FCA and none of the esteem minds seem to think so. If the marketshare shrinks I'll say told you so. I'll always own at least one FCA vehicle but the difference is I own three today, with my favorite being my 300, in the future it may be a ram only if there's no 300 around.

JavelinAMX, jimboy and geraldg like this.
  14. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

The Portal is a CONCEPT! It won't look like that in production.

GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That is far from true, but feel free to believe what you want.

Mike

16. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

You are correct....this is why I have looked at the Equus (G90) model. The downsize is the powertrain does not have MDS. MDS has great merits with gas sipping. Cadillac is a great vehicle but the seating is medium size person. Where 300 and the MB E class are for the business type, bigger/heavy set drivers. Even the doors open straight out for that same reason where others do not.

17. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

It will be pretty close to the actual design. Let you know, adaptive dash is coming.

18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

About 2020 should arrive a new version of the Fiat Professional Ducato / Ram Promaster line of vehicles.
    Will also be manufactured the ones with PSA as is now?
    SEVEL, former SEVEL Sud, that includes the italian plant, is a 50%-50% joint venture with PSA established in 1978.
    FCA has a call option that allows to by the 50% before end of september 2017.

Actually production at SEVEL is at full capacity and for PSA were manufactured about 120k unit (they have right up to 50% of manufactured units).

To note that light commercial vehicles have an estimated margin in Europe of 9%, that is larger than passenger cars average. So LCV are more important for companies than one might think.

romalerig, ScramFan and Hemidakota like this.
  19. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

FUTURE TECH: Feds are looking at a new safety FEATURE where the driver has to be a centered on the front windshield in order to start or drive the car. Adaptive dash will have this feature.

20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Certainly a lot of missed opportunities, but the point of the article was to talk about The future of the Chrysler brand itself.

I don’t understand this comment...

Belvidere will use a shared assembly line and had been using a shared line.
    JNAP uses a shared line.
    Windsor uses a shared line and will continue to use a shared line producing 3 vehicles.
    Brampton shares its line now will produce four vehicles on a shared line in the future.
    Warren will use a shared line.
    Toledo will use a shared line.
    Toluca will use a shared line.
    SHAP will have a shared assembly line for all the different variations of the Ram truck.

Several of the Italian plans share assembly lines.
    Brazil shares assembly lines with multiple vehicles.

Mike

jorisr, GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.