Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of Chrysler

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Dave Z, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Another ' Nail on the Head ' ...

I believe it's because of the lack of aggressive ( assertive, perhaps? ) attention as to what could be done with Chrysler models . There have been some nice Prototype/Concept vehicles floated under the Brand in years past. Obviously, with attention on the brand, Jeep has seen more tangible, drivable concepts every year for SEMA and Moab, and what not. Not much for Chrysler. So, no one knows where they can hang their hat when Chrysler is considered.

Chrysler won't be going off-road, and Chrysler won't be featured at the Drag Strip (HellCat). What do you do? With no venturesome styling and positioning you're dead in the water.

Erik Latranyi and aldo90731 like this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

In the interests of fairness.....as we here in North America ponder the existence and / or future of Chrysler......Our counterparts in Europe are likely having the same discussion about Lancia.

Merging the Lancia and Chrysler brands was a really good idea "on paper", but the execution was so exceedingly laughable that it was a non-starter.

It might have easier....and kinder....to put the Chrysler brand out of its misery....it's "lineup" continuing to be sold during a "phase-out period" by name-plate sans brand, as in "300", "200", etc......while at the same time. beginning a slow re-introduction of Lancia to North America, with the intent that the brand act as a logical "bridge-brand" between Fiat and Alfa Romeo.

After all, Lancia actually DOES have some cred as a rally / racing brand....as some on these boards have reminded us of....and....enhancing that image with performance to match.....and a touch of luxury.....in just the right amounts that Lancia would have a personality all its own.

This makes a whole lot more sense to me than keeping the starving horse (Chrysler) woefully underfed.

3. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

I don't know why it sold better first and then sold lesser to the equivalent Jeep. All I am saying is that those Durango sales are in addition to the Jeeps. It's either not or hardly stealing sales from Jeep. And if the two vehicles are similar then it simply makes for more volume and higher profits.

Dodge has been clearly directed as a performance brand relatively recently. The products that nail this image is only just coming out, considering the special versions of the Charger and Challenger (and I am guessing they have very attractive margins) plus the allocation of Giorgio based new cars. So let us wait and see how this works out before we write it off.

Chrysler may be a weaker brand sure. However CUVs are growing at the expense of sedans and transact at higher prices compared with sedans. Therefore they can earn a better margin for the company. That's the reason for replacing Sedan capacity for more S/CUV capacity. It definitely makes more sense to start rebuilding a brand in a growing segment than a declining one isn't it?

4. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Simple. Because he believes that he can sell more numbers still at a profit unlike sedans with no profit. Might decrease margin but will increase profits. So why not?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I'll add more to your list. Chrysler can't really do "premium" either because Jeep has become the "premium" US FCA brand. And it can't do "mainstream" because that area is filled by FWD and low trim Jeeps and the base Dodge models.

6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Nissan has been chasing CUVs in the US and has a consumer image similar to Chrysler. But NIssan survives by discounting those CUVs heavily.

That tells us that Chrysler will need to do the same discounting to survive in the CUV world.

The mistake everyone makes in this new-found love for CUVs is that they forget consumers have many choices of CUVs out there. It is becoming just like the compact and midsize sedan market......crowded and filled with choices that offer a lot more than what FCA is willing to offer.

7. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

This seems to have been discussed here, over the past decade, without any real solution.

I cant see why FCA (or whoever in the future) cant promote "Chrysler" as a niche innovative brand, as it was in its golden era.

The 300 sedan is a great car, tho my personal beef is the stupidly large centre console, that intrudes on driver space...I hate that!.
    But why not innovate and lead, instead of follow and try to be like others.

This is the perfect time to use the Chrysler brand for all FCAs technology, the hybrid tech, AWD with electric motors, Flex fuels E10-E85, flex fuel dedicated Propane/LPG cars.

Spread the model range, not mainstream cars competing with Toyota, that is Fiat and Dodge's job. How about a stately "Tank" based on the long wb Jeep. But very upmarket and luxurious, big bold styling, with hybrid super quiet tech.

How about a 2 door coupe based on the Challenger but with stately styling, bold, brash, American, in your face luxo GT car, not a "Muscle Car". Maybe based off the Mazza?.

Introduce a Chrysler "Imperial" model like the mid 1930s to 50s, where an Imperial was the top of the range Chrysler.

Long wheel base, very luxurious, smooth v8 awd with hybrid tech. etc etc.

Its all out there.....I see even the new S class Audi's have lift suspension, so when you walk to the car, it lifts for easy entry, and does the same for exit....simple stuff that stands out.

How about a propane hybrid luxo sedan/coupe, that, as it uses cheap clean lpgas, that can be used as a home plug in charger for your "Power Wall", so at night you drive your car in the garage, plug in the home wall charge socket into the car, and charger up your power unit with your clean burning car at not much more than idle...in stealth quiet mode, and turns itself off when charge complete.....the tech is all out there now.
    FCA just need the brain power to actually do it.

Chrysler should not be another "Fiat", it should be the "Innovation Brand".

But, of course, I Know Nussink, I see Nussink, I hear Nussink.....especially from FCAs current management.

;)

8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes. Plus, as recently as five years ago, the CUV category didn’t have a well-established band of leaders and followers. Now, CR-V, Escape, Forester and RAV4 are emerging as segment dominant, much like Civic and Corolla, Accord and Camry have become in the sedan categories.

Once this happens, it becomes incrementally more expensive —and less profitable— for the rest to dislodge them.

9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

...and they are dominating CUVs by doing the same things that they did to dominate in sedans......quality, customer service, and safety built upon strong brands with clear identities.

Had FCA embarked on a real quality and customer service improvement plan in 2009, they would be in a different position today. Now, they are behind and finding the need to discount heavily again......Renegade, Cherokee, etc.....right in the largest CUV segments.

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I believe it can. Just not as Chrysler currently exists. Restoring premium pricing —and profits— at Chrysler would need to be part of a long-term, well planned strategy. Much like Audi’s was at VWAG.

Can it be done? I believe yes, and once everything is considered, it’s arguably Chrysler’s path of least resistance. Do I see management having the conviction, attention span and determination to do it? Hell no.

This would be Chrysler’s Alfa Romeo. The problem is it has no champion inside to push it through.

Tossing a morass of “people movers” out there to see what sticks, without a well-articulated vision and a plan to stabilize the business first, is not the definition of a well-planned strategy.

#930 aldo90731, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Exactly.

12. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

When those principles have already been integrated into your mindset, and the resulting operating principles, your work-product bears that imprint moving forward. I'm pretty sure it's not easy, per se.

If someone chooses to breed dogs, for instance, should they expect to find frogs among the litter mates? Obviously not.

aldo90731 likes this.
  13. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, those principles are integrated into the minds of buyers.

You can disrupt those principles with compelling styling, performance or something "WOW" that creates emotions........but that is short-lived if you do not provide the basics afterward of quality, safety, customer service, etc.

Jeep has that "WOW" emotion. But it does not provide the other things after you buy one. This is why most Jeep owners are once and done.

JavelinAMX, valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed, those are the time-tested business fundamentals. They worked well for Chrysler up to the the mid-1950s, and have worked well for Toyota and Honda to this day.

I am now old enough to have found out that, fundamentally, consumer sbehave relatively the same over time and everywhere.

Whenever I hear an auto executive —or financial expert, or real estate industry expert, or political pundit— start a conversation with “consumers have changed” and finish it with “we have figured out a better way”, 9 times out of 10 it is code-speak for “I don’t have the time to do right thing, so I am going to cut corners to get where I need to be before I retire.”

In finance, the fundamental laws are a steady, well-diversified portfolio and long-term planning. In real estate are location, location, location, and a long-term horizon.

For the past 10,000 years the path to good health has been a healthy diet and regular exercise. Every now and then the experts come up with “shortcuts” in the form of some new pill, new diet or new therapy, only to find out there is no real shortcut to a long, healthy life.

Similarly, I found the fundamental laws of the auto market are pretty much the same over time and in every region: give consumers good quality, safe and innovative products, and treat them with respect, and they will reward you with their business and their loyalty.

No matter what the executive du jour tells you.

#934 aldo90731, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    somber, GasAxe, JavelinAMX and 2 others like this.
  15. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

But isn't SM supposed to retire in 2018?
    I really hope he dose!

Sadly yes, many people can't afford a 300 and unless you have a large family a buying a Pacifica makes no sense, and giving that chrysler has no product coming down the road....its time to either sell it off or kill it.

16. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Marchionne is retiring from being CEO, but he will sit on the governing board of the company.......so the next CEO is not just Marchionne's hand-picked successor, but will have Marchionne looking over (and approving) his every move as CEO. In other words, do not expect much to change.

Of course, if things go badly for the company, Marchionne will speak out and criticize everyone and anyone.

17. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

It could've been if SM would've fixed the 200 and Dart ranger than canceling it....the Dart should've been under the Chrysler nameplate than Dodge

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

Great...just great
    Do the people on the Governing board love losing money?
    Dose SM have dirt on these people?

Should've took that deal with Hyundai.....

19. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Member

Check this video out:

View: https://youtu.be/Pt7bVIbKvMM

Imagine if this was the brand new Chrysler 100 than the 5th gen Hyundai Accent?

Now has a Hyundai this car won't sell in large numbers ( because of people memories of bad first three generations of this car )

But has a Mopar, I would bet that more people would be willing to give both it and the brand a look

20. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

In 2015, the Sonata sold 213,303 units and the 200 sold 177,889. This was the best year ever for the 200, while it was the Sonata's second best year.

In 2015, the Elantra sold 241,706 units and the Dart sold 87,392. Again, the best year for the Dart and the second best year for the Elantra.

People just don't buy as many compact/midsize sedans from Mopar for various reasons. There is no way that an Accent will have better sales as a Chrysler than as a Hyundai.

freshforged likes this.